Jon Snow can become King of Westeros without it being cheesy or cliche

Panos Targaryen

My guess: No more IT. The kingdoms will split once again, with Tyrion ruling the West from the Rock, Arianne ruling Dorne and Jon becoming King in the North. If Dany survives, she'll be with Jon.

Just my thoughts.

Arianne will die, Dany+Jon won't happen and the north is for Rickon. I can only agree on Tyrion, he has set his mind on Casterly Rock and I'm sure he will find a way to it.

Yeah because a man no one's heard of, whose only evidence is a Crag man and a piece of flimsy evidence is so much more believable than a silver haired, purple eyed prince. Makes perfect sense <_<

Sansa and LF would benefit more with marrying Sansa to Aegon. She can be queen and LF's power over Westeros is stronger

Everyone thinks Jon is Ned's bastard, it's going to be pretty hard to prove that he isn't.

Aegon doesn't need to marry Arianne to vouch for Dorne's support; he's Elia's son

Sansa offers Aegon 3/7 of Westeros without a fight. It's in the Martell's better interests to marry him off to Sansa than Arianne.

Really Manderly?

Like I said before players determine who sits on the IT and no one's choosing Jon.

Totally unrealistic if Jon manages to outplay Varys

Yes because arranging a marriage between a wildling and a a girl who ran from her family needs so much political acumen doesn't it?

I'm not underestimating Jon's intelligence I just fail to see how a man who spent his whole life in the North where no understanding of the GoT is necessary can suddenly be politically savvy.

Only two Starks have proven to be savvy, one's actually a Tully and the other learnt on her own in court

What Aegon has:

1. silver hair and purple eyes

2. an army

3. has just defeated Stormsend

4. Jon Connington

5. Dorne

6. can be married off to either Sansa, Margaery or Arianne

7. Dany's foolish and fickle, if she sees a man who looks like a Targaryen she'll believe he's the real deal

8. Why would she believe he's a fake? There's no actual evidence to prove he is

9. He offers a lot of long term benefits to Dany, especially when considering the fact that she's barren

10. Tyrion thinks he's the real deal and I don't see what Jorah would know about Rhaegar, he wasn't even part of court.

Yeah because it's so believable isn't it?

A Crag man and a piece of "evidence" doesn't prove anything. Especially when there's someone like Aegon in the picture.

If it that easy for Jon to prove himself I'm going to be very disappointed. There is no logic behind anyone believing him

Just because he's a good LC doesn't mean he can rule a kingdom. Why everyone thinks he can is beyond me <_<

They'll believe something as ludicrous as R+L=J which has no real evidence, but will dismiss Aegon?

Loving the logic

I was taking about Aegon. Jon won't try and stake a claim if Aegon's in the picture because he's his older brother, therefore comes before him in the line of succession.

When did not being able to mount a dragon or being a douche determine who would be king?

Last I checked the game decided and right now Aegon is the game's biggest player's pawn. And I'm hoping Dany dies; she's an incompetent fool and Westeros doesn't need to suffer with another Cersei

It shows just how powerful the GoT is if Aegon wins the throne despite being a fake.

A helluva lot more interesting than a boring, cliche ending tbh

Rightnow Sweetrobin is pawn being controlled by the biggest, most powerful player. Tyrion is smarter than you and will accept evidence as proof instead of dismissing it because it would not make him happy. Arriane via WoW previews is on her way to Aegon, but is also skeptical, so for Aegon to refuse her marriage offer would be an insult, and besides Varys and LF aren't down to work with eachother so your fantasy Dorne Vale GC alliance is reall unrealistic. Never claimed Jon would be a great leader for the 7 kingdoms, but he has shown enough prowess at the Wall for Lords to feel comfortable they are not fighting for an idiot. There are lots of people with silver hair and purple eyes in the free cities that were part of Valyrian freehold, so if there was an egg or a cloak in a SEALED crypt than Jon would have much more proof than two people who were both reported dead being backed by sellswords, despite Aegon's precious purple eyes that you have mentioned 300 times. The only one who thinks that something in the crypts combined with the word of the only person alive who was at the Tower of Joy is not evidence and is ridiculous is you. Dany is not an incompetent fool you are ignoring the first 3 books because you are disappointed because she makes some mistakes in Mereen, yet you claim to dislike the fantasy cliche of a perfect, powerful ruler. Once again, a contradictory claim. We disagree on so many basic levels so this argument is going no where.

• 2 months later...

I've noticed in a lot of threads that the idea of Jon Snow sitting the Iron Throne (assuming R+L=J) is met with ridicule, as people consider that it fits too much with the trope of the "hero of humble and not ordinary origins that rises up to be the ultimate hero", and there's no way it's going to happen. I assume this is the majority's opinion, as almost all people (but not all) seem to dislike the idea of Jon being king because it's too cheesy.

However, Jon Snow can become King, and it can fit GRRM's gritty style perfectly.

For that, look at another fantasy book series: Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy. In that harsh, bitter, cynical, ultra-realistic and gritty book series a character (who is a bastard) becomes king at the end of the series. However, it is really horrible for him, because he is trapped in an unhappy political marriage, manipulated by his corrupt and ambitious councilors, etc. He finds that becoming king has actually made his life worse.

The same could happen with Jon. Have him become king, but then be really unhappy and depressed with his life, hating the politics and lack of a clear purpose, wanting to return to the simplicity and "honor" of the Night's Watch, but not being able to, because he knows he must do his duty being king, even if he hates it.

So, there's a bittersweet, "non-fairytale" ending, with Jon being King. And with R+L=J and him probably being Azor Ahai, it could easily happen. What do you think?

I personally think that Jon finds out of his real parents and is offered the throne, but denies it for the sake of his vows or reluctance even though most of Westeros wants him to become King. The North would immediately support his claim as well as the Riverlands and Daenerys is she confirms the truth. From what I can gather from reading A Dance with Dragons, Jon's actually political astute more than his father and Robb at least. If R + L = J is true, I just want to see everyone's reaction in Westeros including Lady Stoneheart

The North would immediately support his claim as well as the Riverlands and Daenerys is she confirms the truth.

The Riverlands aren't likely to support him (outsider, oathbreaker, bastard, his birth was an insult to House Tully, after the utter disaster which was Robb's reign they won't be really willing to accept his chosen successor like that, etc) and Dany won't ever give up her claim.

I think it might happen something similar with Dany. We kinda see it already, when she's in Meeren, forced to wear her "floppy ears" and survive the complex plots of her position as Queen, she often thinks about the house with the red door in Braavos.

yes I see his mindset when he is ruling as I wish I could go back to the way things were before but he won't because he will view it as his duty and privilege to rule but he won't be a happy camper about it. He will take some small solace in his children and possibly his wife(I hope he is happily married) but he will be sick of all the lies, deceit, and the politics of being king. I think Jon will be more or less Sansa's puppet but it won't be a Varys/fAegon type of relationship, it will be more along the lines of Sansa doing the things Jon doesnt want to nuts needs to In the shadows to protect and help Jon.

I personally think that Jon finds out of his real parents and is offered the throne, but denies it for the sake of his vows or reluctance even though most of Westeros wants him to become King. The North would immediately support his claim as well as the Riverlands and Daenerys is she confirms the truth. From what I can gather from reading A Dance with Dragons, Jon's actually political astute more than his father and Robb at least. If R + L = J is true, I just want to see everyone's reaction in Westeros including Lady Stoneheart

I can definitely see the North supporting Jon, if he does not die battling the Others. But I tend to agree with this:

The Riverlands aren't likely to support him (outsider, oathbreaker, bastard, his birth was an insult to House Tully, after the utter disaster which was Robb's reign they won't be really willing to accept his chosen successor like that, etc) and Dany won't ever give up her claim.

..with particular emphasis on Dany not giving up her claim. I see her and Jon's relationship being a very complex one with a lot of unspoken tension and resentment (more on her end than Jon's).

Furthermore, as badly as I want that cathartic moment of having Lady Stoneheart learn the truth of Jon's parentage, I doubt it's ever going to happen. I think that's one of those bits of satisfaction GRRM is going to withhold from us. And even if it did happen I'm not so sure she really has any feelings left at this point, so it wouldn't be that truly satisfying "oh shit I'm a terrible person" thing we've all been waiting on.

I.

I agree. It's said that power should belong in the hands of people who don't want it and I don't think Jon Snow will ever want it but he would make a fair king and help the realm find some sort of peace and prosperity again.

This is one of the biggest lies ever told. The logic behind it isn't sound. There are plenty of people who don't want to lead and they would be terrible at it. There are people who do want those positions and would actually be good at it. These are people who have studied, practiced, learned a nd worked at it their whole lives. And you say that just because a person doesn't want it they would obviously be better. It probably makes people feel better because we have been told that people who actively go after power are too ambitious and bad. While those who don't are just good and humble and wouldn't dare do anything wrong with it.

Actually I didn't say he would be better just because he didn't want it. I said he'd make a fair king as we have seen him make a fair Lord commander although yes, he made some pretty choice decisions in that too as all leaders have too. My point was that if he doesn't want it, he'll be more likely to do what's right for the realm rather than let's say Cersei who only wants power, to be powerful and doesn't give a hoot about the commons or anything that doesn't promote her.

Actually I didn't say he would be better just because he didn't want it. I said he'd make a fair king as we have seen him make a fair Lord commander although yes, he made some pretty choice decisions in that too as all leaders have too. My point was that if he doesn't want it, he'll be more likely to do what's right for the realm rather than let's say Cersei who only wants power, to be powerful and doesn't give a hoot about the commons or anything that doesn't promote her.

I was actually just speaking in general about being better.

But we don't know if he would be fair. Running a kingdom is quite different from running an elite brotherhood. What if what he thinks is right is the wrong course of action. There really are plenty of people who do want power and would still do what is best for the realm. Cersei is a terrible comparison because she hasn't even been groomed to rule or studied or learned. She is quickly becoming paranoid. There are probably plenty of other people who fit the description of being groomed to lead, actually caring about the people, and doing what is right. Like Doran Martell. Heir to Dorne. Has had to make decisions. Not willing to put his people in danger for a war that he knows he can't win at the moment. It is the kingdom that he is good at ruling. His family are the ones who he doesn't have good control over.

"It is an easy thing for a prince to call the spears, but in the end the children pay the price." Doran Martell

Jon hating being king will still not change the hoops that will have to jumped thru for him to get there in the first place as a result of his ancestry.

I think GRRM could have Jon end up ruling or being responsible for "protecting" most or all of Westeros thru some series of events or another, though I am not sure that is in store.

But I haven't come across a theory that has Jon end up on the throne as a legitimate son of a married Rhaegar and Lyanna that doesn't come off as ridiculous, and unbelievable.

The only King I could see Jon agreeing to be is King Beyond the Wall. He's becoming a self-made man, elevated by his own actions and ability. Being given a pointy metal chair and a gold hat because his Biological father was in line for it doesn't seem his thing. Kings Beyond the Wall are not born, they are made leader because they're the best at it and they're able to fight, bribe or convince the Free Folk to accept them.

He doesn't want the North or at least his honour won't allow him to, it belongs to the Starks.

Jon doesn't need to become King it would be the worst thing to happen to him as a character, I hope as a Jon fan he dies before becoming King.

I think he will end up being the King reluctantly (though I'm not sure the Iron Throne will even still exist), which is kind of the great irony with the story isn't it? All these people fighting and killing one another, weakening the land, destroying the food they need, and all of it to become King and sit on the Iron Throne, and Jon ends up having to do it (much like he did with LC), because he's forced into it, even though he doesn't want it.

Talk about "bittersweet"...

I think he will end up being the King reluctantly (though I'm not sure the Iron Throne will even still exist), which is kind of the great irony with the story isn't it? All these people fighting and killing one another, weakening the land, destroying the food they need, and all of it to become King and sit on the Iron Throne, and Jon ends up having to do it (much like he did with LC), because he's forced into it, even though he doesn't want it.

Talk about "bittersweet"...

when you say it like that it makes it pretty hilarious

Archived