Why did Martin choose to portray Uncat as evil and monstrous?

total1402

Look at the proof that Cat has: Brienne, the woman who pledged to find her daughters, bears her late husband's sword (Ice was made into two swords I know, but its still the same to Cat) that was given to her by the Lannisters, has been seen running errands for Jaime Lannister and outright defends him. This is the man, who in Cat's mind, is largely responsible for the RW ("Jaime Lannister sends his regards"). Brienne also bears a letter from the Lannister King, declaring that she is acting on his behalf.

And Podrick? Why, he just happens to be the Imp's squire.

Now, put yourself in Cat's shoes. The evidence is rather conclusive, don't you think?

Yes, its a massive pile of circumstantial evidence that would directly lead to the conclusion that she and the imp's squire and what's his name are all traveling around to find Sansa to take her back to KL.

And STILL she gives Brienne an opportunity to prove her innocence. Yep, evil.

It's not fair but it is fairer than the alternative. I'd take the fight any day of the week over being hanged. At least in Beric's day, they had a choice or a chance.

UnCat examines evidence and listen to witnesses and the accussed and decided based on that. Yeah, it's quick and harsh, but a much better method than "If you are good with a sword, we'll let you go even if you admit you murdered a kid".

Look at the proof that Cat has: Brienne, the woman who pledged to find her daughters, bears her late husband's sword (Ice was made into two swords I know, but its still the same to Cat) that was given to her by the Lannisters, has been seen running errands for Jaime Lannister and outright defends him. This is the man, who in Cat's mind, is largely responsible for the RW ("Jaime Lannister sends his regards"). Brienne also bears a letter from the Lannister King, declaring that she is acting on his behalf.

And Podrick? Why, he just happens to be the Imp's squire.

Now, put yourself in Cat's shoes. The evidence is rather conclusive, don't you think?

I understand that this evidence, plus Cat's utter insanity at this point, means the scene was completely in-character for everybody involved. I really like the UnCat development.

I just... don't think we're meant to be rooting for her as a lot of people in this thread seem to. I think she was introduced purely to stop people from being all gung-ho about capital punishment and vengeance.

Does that make Wyman Manderley evil, too?

I would assume so, since he practices murder and cannibalism with gusto and, in my opinion it is Manderley who is behind the murder of Big Walder, a child, since he would have been married to one of his granddaughters or nieces. Or is this outrage reserved only for Lady Stoneheart for the same reason that so much outrage was reserved for Catelyn Stark?

Be that as it may, they have committed the most foul, vile abomination known to Westeros, and should be punished accordingly.

those who committed the crime should most definitely be punished. no one else. that is not justice.

The fact you've repeatedly claimed we view Lady Stoneheart as "evil", speaks volumes here.

We don't view the series as one about good vs evil. Lady Stoneheart is neither extreme.

Oh, my mistake.

I guess I was confused by the title of the thread Why did Martin choose to portray Uncat evil and monstrous".

LMAO

I understand that this evidence, plus Cat's utter insanity at this point, means the scene was completely in-character for everybody involved. I really like the UnCat development.

I just... don't think we're meant to be rooting for her as a lot of people in this thread seem to. I think she was introduced purely to stop people from being all gung-ho about capital punishment and vengeance.

Rooting for her? Oh no. I'm not rooting for her at all.

Yes, I find her interesting. And when she hangs Freys that were involved in planning the RW, I consider it a victory, but I don't necessarily root for her or think that she will create the RW 2.0.

Yes, its a massive pile of circumstantial evidence that would directly lead to the conclusion that she and the imp's squire and what's his name are all traveling around to find Sansa to take her back to KL.

And STILL she gives Brienne an opportunity to prove her innocence. Yep, evil.

It's public knowledge that the Imp was publicly convicted and his wife Sansa the same in absentia for murdering King Joffrey, and that if you show up in King's Landing with a dwarf corpse, any dwarf corpse, Cersei will give you gold for it sight unseen. "He's the Imp's own squire" is just more of the Blackfish's "Cat never trusted that bastard" (why would the Night Watch want to elect Ned's Stark's Bastard if they could)- when were these people ever not maniacally incurious when people they didn't like were concerned?

stop making so much sense. this thread will never hit 400 post in a couple of hours if you do that.

And note they were charging him for deaths he had nothing to do with and he didn't actually get his trial by combat until calling them out on their hypocrisy. Brienne's trial used actual evidence.

Her evidence is pretty circumstantial, not too mention it goes against everything she knows or knew about Brienne. She hardly seems impartial. I'd kike to think GRRM is highliting the difference between UnCat and Cat. This would be the second time she has arrested an innocent, she gets it right the first time by correctly surmising that Tyrion was innocent. This time however, she just doesn't care to take the time.

The sword seems equally as fair to me in this scenario.

ETA: What about Pod? Do you think he got a fair shot and sentence? He might have preferred to fight for his life.Not trying to be snarky, I'm legitimately curious.

It's public knowledge that the Imp was publicly convicted and his wife Sansa the same in absentia for murdering King Joffrey, and that if you show up in King's Landing with a dwarf corpse, any dwarf corpse, Cersei will give you gold for it sight unseen. "He's the Imp's own squire" is just more of the Blackfish's "Cat never trusted that bastard" (why would the Night Watch want to elect Ned's Stark's Bastard if they could)- when were these people ever not maniacally incurious when people they didn't like were concerned?

I might think the imp's squire was along because of a plan to put all the blame on Sansa Stark. Cat nor anyone else in the BWB is aware of Cersei's manical hatred of her brother, or that the squire was along to save his own skin by helping bring back Sansa. What I probably wouldnt think is 'Oh, let me discount the letter from King Tommen, the Stark sword with the lion hilt, the attachment to Jamie "my regards" and the Lannister squire and knight" it's probably all a big mistake, better let them go.

I would assume so, since he practices murder and cannibalism with gusto and, in my opinion it is Manderley who is behind the murder of Big Walder, a child, since he would have been married to one of his granddaughters or nieces.

I think you mean Little Walder; Big Walder, the non-cruel one, is still alive. The one murdered was Little Walder, who was a sadist and torturer (possibly murderer?? can't remember).

Or is this outrage reserved only for Lady Stoneheart for the same reason that so much outrage was reserved for Catelyn Stark?

Oh, let's not turn this into a "Everyone in fandom shits on Cat!" thread. I like the progression of the character all the way through from AGoT to AFfC, but it's pretty clear that the creature leading the Brotherhood is a warped, empty shell of the Catelyn Stark character whose point-of-view we saw. Yeah, a lot of people criticize pre-Stoneheart Cat, but there's also a lot of people who don't but still don't morally agree with the vengeance obsessed zombie leading the Brotherhood.

i do think it's a bad thing. the entire family is hardly guilty.

Why does everyone assume that she is going to slaughter the entire clan, women and children included? She has hitherto executed only those who took part in the wedding. In the Frey epilogue, she doesn't just kill him the second she sees him. She charges him with a specific crime and punishes him when his guilt is confirmed.

Her evidence is pretty circumstantial, not too mention it goes against everything she knows or knew about Brienne.

Did she even know Brienne for more then a couple months?

Archived