GOODKIND III

Werthead

Kahlan couldn’t always judge exactly when Sister Ulicia would lash out and just because she so far hadn’t didn’t mean that she wouldn’t. Neither of the other two Sisters was in any better mood nor any less inclined toward losing their temper.

this has to be some kind of record. forget double negative, this is more like a deca negative.

I think I’m in trouble. Its been said that whenever you stare into the abyss, Goodkind stares back, or something like that. But I think I’m at that point in this thread. I’ve been reading to much and now I’m more then mildly interested in Richard and his doings.

I’ve been thinking about that umm… seduction scene and it has raised some more questions. It’s Temple of the Winds that explores the wife swapping lifestyle, not Blood of the Fold. Where is Kahlan in this? Why is Richard cheating on her? I thought he was madly in love with her? How does she react to this betrayal?

I am not well.

I just noticed this from a Goodkind fan over at sffworld.com:

Well I love the characters i dont think they are simple mided bafoons they seem to have at least an iq above 60.

Brilliant! It really helps to extrapolate from the idea of an epic fantasy version of Flowers for Algernon. At the beginning of Flowers for Algernon, Charlie Gordon has an IQ of 67. I think if he'd said 100 it might have been a better defence (though completely inconsistent with the evidence in the books).

I’ve been thinking about that umm… seduction scene and it has raised some more questions. It’s Temple of the Winds that explores the wife swapping lifestyle, not Blood of the Fold. Where is Kahlan in this? Why is Richard cheating on her? I thought he was madly in love with her? How does she react to this betrayal?

I am not well.

The woman in question has had a spell put on her to make her irresistable, only Richard is strong enough to hold off from jumping her bones.

I just noticed this from a Goodkind fan over at sffworld.com:

Brilliant! It really helps to extrapolate from the idea of an epic fantasy version of Flowers for Algernon. At the beginning of Flowers for Algernon, Charlie Gordon has an IQ of 67. I think if he'd said 100 it might have been a better defence (though completely inconsistent with the evidence in the books).

Hey you're getting alot of mileage off my Algernon comparisson! I never did get the laughs I felt I deserved for that one. :) But for what it's worth: I COMPLETELY AGREE!

The main difference between the tales is that in FfA, Charlie gets smarter, then dumber again. While in SOT, Richard stays dumb, and the rest of the universe dumbs itself down to just below his level, thus coming to see him as some sort of genius.

The woman in question has had a spell put on her to make her irresistable, only Richard is strong enough to hold off from jumping her bones.

Man! This guy is tougher than Captain Kirk!!

The main difference between the tales is that in FfA, Charlie gets smarter, then dumber again. While in SOT, Richard stays dumb, and the rest of the universe dumbs itself down to just below his level, thus coming to see him as some sort of genius.

Man! This guy is tougher than Captain Kirk!!

:rofl: So accurate.

Hey you're getting alot of mileage off my Algernon comparisson

No one else was bringing it up - at least not for a couple of threads, and with that last quote I saw, I couldn't resist.

Are you serious? That’s the storyline? That is so lame!

Well I love the characters i dont think they are simple mided bafoons they seem to have at least an iq above 60.

That's a great back-handed compliament

I noticed this:

Life is what you make of it, you only get one" ~mystar~

Is Mystar quoting himself in his sig at those forums?

What exactly did yo uhave in mind as far as "customizing"?

Well, perhaps those you said above Zadok would fit - I also think "Goat= Noble" and "Goodkind is our God" would be good additions.

Okay, clarification please: that Evil Chicken quote that I've seen floating around this board -- is it real? Because if so, that's the most bizarrely STUPID thing I've ever seen from ANY fantasy fiction. And that's saying a lot.

I'd just assumed it was a parody but I keep seeing Evil Chicken references...

You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.

-Dale Carnegie

looks like he could do with rereading some of them...

It's real and is from the fifth Goodkind book, Soul of the Fire. It was quoted in the Goodkind Quote of the Day a week or so ago.

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. "Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn't need to see it. "Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

--Terry Goodkind, Soul of the Fire

There, the full quote.

Was "the concept of the chicken that was not a chicken" ever addressed before? The way it's written there it seems like Kahlan had spent several years meditating on the concept but had been unable to grasp it until just that moment. The "completely" also hints at some profound knowledge that had before escaped her. What exactly was there to completely understand? Could you halfway understand the chicken that was not a chicken? These questions keep me up at night.

Archived