Saddest Moment to You in ASOIAF ?

Jose Stark

Honestly, i was most sad with how Tyrion was treated after Blackwater and at his trial (nobody believing him, everyone betraying him, Oberyn`s death).

Jon finding Ygritte dying made me sad too.

I can not say i felt particulary happy or sad when Starks died, it was more of an interesting moment and a thrilling one (not thrilling as in very happy but very hyped)

Red Wedding obviously... Cat dying thinking 4 of her kids have died, her husband is dead, her home destroyed and her family betrayed.

Theon.... Poor Theon.... When we first meet him as Reek in the dungeons when Walder and Walder come for him... That fear he feels makes me feel sick almost. When he ‘Bent to his task’... I nearly cried.

Jeyne Pool.... Jesus Christ... What Littlefinger has done to her and what Ramsey is now doing... And the fact her only hope is Theon, who is utterly broken, more so than she is it would seem.

Sansa’s brutal experiences at the hands of the Lannisters... her wedding... When she refused to kneel... Awesome in a sad way.

So many other minor bits in this book of absolute excruitiating tragedy and sadness.

Catelyn's treatment of Jon

Jaime's slow realization that Cersei has been using him so selfishly

Tywin's utter rejection of Tyrion

Tyrion's rejection of Jaime, the only family member who loved him

Brienne's treatment by men

The Hound

All of these were so unnecessary and wasteful, with the possible exception of Tyrion and Jaime

Red Wedding

The estrangement between Jaime and Tyrion

The way Tyrion spent most of ADWD wanting Jaime dead, only to admit to himself towards the end that he still loved him

Theon's breakdown at WF, thinking about how he should've died with Robb

Tywin's rejection of Tyrion: brutal

Arya nearly reuniting with Cat and Robb (well, guess that's RW)

Ned dying in front of his daughters

Hazzea

- RW by far, but especially Robb's "mother" and Catelyn's inner monologue right before she is killed

- Arya's having to throw stones at Nymeria to run her off

- Joffrey's death. Yes, I hated him and wanted him to meet with all kinds of grisly ends, but those last few moments when Tyrion realises Joffrey is going to die and thinks "the boy is only thirteen"... it still gets me

- Lysa's death. Like with Joff, I hated her and wanted to see her dead and gone, but LF's "only Cat" right before he pushes her out the Moon Door... So. Cruel.

Another scene that makes me... not weepy-sad, but wistful-sad,

is when Raventree Hall yields in ADwD. Lord Tytos asks about Edmure and Jaime says, "Ser Edmure is on his way to Casterly Rock as my captive." Ser Edmure. Well, it was nice while it lasted. :frown5:

Edited to put ADwD stuff behind a spoiler, just in case.

Lady's death *shudder*. This is one chapter I have never been able to reread.

Arya throwing rocks at Nymeria.

Dany losing everything she cared about at the end of Game.

Cressen's prologue and his thoughts of Stannis.

Too many Catelyn moments to count. "Is this the sound of kingdom falling?" Do people dislike her chapters because they are painful to read?

Too many Sansa moments as well. Same question.

(The snow Winterfell deserves a special mention. So beautiful it hurts.)

Aemon's death. Gods.

Many, many other moments.

since most 'tragedies' made me angry instead ofsad i have to go with lady's death. i never cared about cat neither about her grief.

also if jon turns out not to be ned's son would make me sad. the same if arya were ever to abandon her true identity in order 'no one' for real. yes i am sucker for the starks. sue me.

tyrion's departure and last words with jamie

davos writing his letter.

Tough to beat Aemon's attempt to get back to Oldtown. Man, that was just a sad couple of chapters as he realizes big things are about to happen, things he's been waiting his whole life for, but his body is failing him.

:agree:

As a whole, the entire Red Wedding event. It was a systematic dismantling of the North(my fav group of people). However, Cat's final thoughts and words were really gut wrenching.

Arya getting so close to Cat and Robb, just to have the rug pulled out.

Jon and Ygritte's final moments with each other.

Theon's reflection on his actions

Finally, Jamie's confession and breakdown; in front of Brienne. I saw a broken man, who has always been broken and it was finally coming to light.

Ellaria

“Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end?” Ellaria Sand laid her hand on the Mountain’s head. “I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?

:bowdown: Stannis. Always and forever :bowdown:

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men."

“Now answer my question. Why do you love the Starks?”

“I…” Theon put a gloved hand against a pillar. “…I wanted to be one of them.”

And never could. We have more in common than you know, my lord.” :crying: :bawl: :crying:

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

Egg... I dreamed I was old. :crying:

Jaime has some sad moments too.

That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but somewhere along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead

The sept was still and dark, until a woman emerged from the shadows and walked slowly to the bier. “Sister?” he said.

But it was not Cersei. She was all in grey, a silent sister. A hood and veil concealed her features, but he could see the candles burning in the green pools of her eyes. “Sister,” he said, “what would you have of me?” His last word echoed up and down the sept, memememememememememe

“I am not your sister, Jaime.” She raised a pale hand and pushed her hood back. “Have you forgotten me?”

Can I forget someone I never knew? The words caught in his throat. He did know her, but it had been so long...

“Will you forget your own lord father too? I wonder if you ever knew him, truly.” Her eyes were green, her hair spun gold. He could not tell how old she was. Fifteen, he thought, or fifty. She climbed the steps to stand above the bier. “He could never abide being laughed at. That was the thing he hated most.”

“Who are you?” He had to hear her say it.

“The question is, who are you?”

“This is a dream.”

“Is it?” She smiled sadly. “Count your hands, child.”

One. One hand, clasped tight around the sword hilt. Only one. “In my dreams I always have two hands.” He raised his right arm and stared uncomprehendingly at the ugliness of his stump.

“We all dream of things we cannot have. Tywin dreamed that his son would be a great knight, that his daughter would be a queen. He dreamed they would be so strong and brave and beautiful that no one would ever laugh at them.”

“I am a knight,” he told her, “and Cersei is a queen.”

A tear rolled down her cheek. The woman raised her hood again and turned her back on him. Jaime called after her, but already she was moving away, her skirt whispering lullabies as it brushed across the floor. Don’t leave me, he wanted to call, but of course she’d left them long ago.

All the stand-out sad moments like the Red Wedding, etc have been mentioned. But I'll also add some more food for thought. The Stark's wolves:

• Lady's death
  • Nymeria being sent away
  • Grey Wind's death

I'll give you the first two. Grey Wind, I can't. He went out like a demon! While I regret, that he died; he had a good death(in the books). The show made him, seem like a modern version of Old Yeller!!

Hated what the show did with him. They could give us Robb-Wind but they couldn't let GW go out like the bad-ass he was? Lame.

Ryman Frey fucking around with Robb's crown with that camp follower. The sheer disrespect to the Starks at the RW and after sickens me.

Archived