Zimmerman Trial: Closing arguments and Deliberation

Sci-2

Jury's are typically granted several days to deliberate, though most dont take any where near that long. If the jury is dead locked on an item then the judge can send them back for more deliberation or declare a mistrial.

My guess is 2 hours after the jury is sent to chambers.

Guilty of Manslaughter, verdict returned this afternoon

eta: is it me or did Prosecutor Guy just softly imply that the jurors are racist...??

That wasn't softly implying it. It just goes to show the type of scumbags the prosecution is. Their message is, "if the defendant is white, you must convict".

I guess I am in the minority but I hope that guy rots. The screams on the recordings were obviously a kid, not a grown man.

Martin was 17. His voice likely changed already and Martin's own father said it wasn't his son in the presence of two police officers.

I guess I am in the minority but I hope that guy rots. The screams on the recordings were obviously a kid, not a grown man.

Obviously huh? I guess your ear knows better than the eye witnesses?

No idea on the outcome, haven't been attention, but the fact that only six people need to talk about things instead of 12 makes me think that'll shorten things up. I could see them taking the weekend though, its a big case.

Or 'serious injury' in terms of long term damage. Let's put it this way if you kill someone in similar circumstances in the UK and I was on the jury there's a pretty good chance I'd be voting guilty for manslaughter.

If you had no reasonable doubt of his guilt. That's not any different from how you'd expect a juror in the US to behave.

I hope for the manslaughter charge to stick. If not for Zimmerman provoking the entire thing from the beginning, this trial would not be happening. His uneccessary overreactions facilitated the whole tragedy.

I, like Maitha, strongly dislike the idea that [a] citizen can arm themselves and go out looking for trouble. There's something really problematic to me about the idea that someone can think "Well if I do get into a fight I'll shoot someone". And it's hard not to believe a guy who calls the police about a "suspicious" 7-9 y.o. black kid at the least seems a bit racist.

And the story that Trayvon ambushed Zimmerman sounds like a pack of lies to me.

But all that said, there simply isn't enough evidence in this case to convict. It may have happened like Zimmerman said, there's enough room in there for a rational person to maintain reasonable doubt.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but Zimmerman being convicted [of murder] on the evidence available would be a travesty of justice.

WildBlood

That is why there is evidence that has to be examined and the law which has to be followed. You have no idea what Martin's voice sounded like, but made a statement that the scream was obviously his. Now you know why I don't trust juries.

I made my desicion based on Zimmermans voice sounding nothing like what my ears heard on the tape. Im not saying I am right. But if this was any other state other than Florida, I don't think there would be much question of if, only how long.

And for the record, I wouldn't feel real great about a guy following me around in the dark when I was just going to the store. So what Trayvon had weed in his system, I don't really get why the defense even brought that up. He was pretty obviously racially profiled. The 911 operator even told Zimmerman to NOT follow.

WB,

Have you ever had to scream for help? Does your voice sound the same?

I hope for the manslaughter charge to stick. If not for Zimmerman provoking the entire thing from the beginning, this trial would not be happening. His uneccessary overreactions facilitated the whole tragedy.

Yep, who cares what the law is.

Archived