Zimmerman Trial: Closing arguments and Deliberation

Sci-2

Funny how attempting to buy a gun is now shorthand for thuggish behavior. If you already own one you have crossed the bridge to model citizenship. The case should be made for purchasing a gun while a minor, but for some reason that isn't explicitly stated.

Zimmerman had applied for and been granted a concealed carry permit, was not involved in the buying, selling and consumption of illegal narcotics and was not a minor when he bought his sidearm. You see one is perfectly legal and the other one is like not. Spot the difference?

Zimmerman had applied for and been granted a concealed carry permit, was not involved in the buying, selling and consumption of illegal narcotics and was not a minor when he bought his sidearm. You see one is perfectly legal and the other one is like not. Spot the difference?

I spot the difference now, but in a thread full of lawyers we need to be precise about language. How much illegal narcotics did Martin purchase, sell and consume, so I can determine the exact nature of his thuggishness? And how far did he go towards purchasing a firearm? Is there any evidence apart from text messages?

It's a shame... the lack of a third party witness just means that the only person living who knows what happened is the person who was found not guilty. Maybe he was truly wrongly accused... but I just don't think so. However, the prosecution couldn't prove Murder 2 or manslaughter so that's the verdict that had to come out.

The prosecution made a huge mistake going for Murder 2. Not sure why they went for it. It would have been better for them to concentrate on a lesser charge and go after that.

2:40 and so on, my respect for him can't be described.

I haven't followed the trial closely enough in order to form an opinion on whether the acquittal was justified or not, but either way the media are responsible for a lot of misunderstandings.

And now we have a few thousand imbeciles still believing that this is -solely- about race, if I am to judge by the extremely hateful posts on twitter. I don't think Zimmerman will ever get through this, he's been branded as "racist" for life

Edit for typos

Awesome to see the floobs discover this thread, pop in here and start declaiming unreconstructed horseshit.

I can accept that a lack of evidence led to this verdict. But I can blame the Sanford PD and the prosecutors for doing a poor job. And I can pledge not to visit Florida or spend money in that state, fucking sclerotic banana republic that it is.

2:40 and so on, my respect for him can't be described.

I haven't followed the trial closely enough in order to form an opinion on whether the acquittal was justified or not, but either way the media are responsible for a lot of misunderstandings.

And now we have a few thousand imbeciles still believing that this is -solely- about race, if I am to judge by the extremely hateful posts on twitter. I don't think Zimmerman will ever get through this, he's been branded as "racist" for life

Oh cry me a river. If the guy has any conscience at all, that should be the least of his problems.

GS,

I thought they had enough for Voluntary Manslaughter. The hard part, in that hypothical case, would have been the Florida SYG law. That said it isn't unusual for prosecutors fo stack charges it gives them room to negotiate for plea deals.

I think you are correct about overcharging him hoping he would plea. I did not follow the case everyday, but I thought it made the prosecution weak when they added the Manslaughter charge at the end. If the prosecution felt they had made their case foe Murder 2, they would have never added a lesser charge. By charging with Voluntary Manslaughter from the start, they could have spent their time and resources going after that.

Maybe. But I'd rather be alive and branded a racist for life than, you know, dead.

And I'm sure that's why Zimmerman is glad that he pulled the trigger, since his alternative might have in fact been death. But that doesn't make it any less of an injustice for you to be branded a racist for life and made, in some ways, a pariah because you acted legitimately in your own self-defense because you were the victim of a violent criminal assault.

Archived