That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

You don't seriously expect the author we're reading to change his work based merely on the possibility he may or may not give our posts a reading, right?

Because I thought this was only a thread to share opinions. Not to tally a "vote".

To quote Foghorn Leghorn (a cartoon rooster): "It was a joke, son."

I doubt the OP had a tally in mind. I didn't when I "voted". It was just something I felt like doing fairly impulsively and had not the slightest idea what I was going to find. This site alone has 70,000 members or something, so a couple hundred voting? Not significant in any way.

Mine are Jon, Arya, and all the Greyjoys (even Asha and the Reek stuff, though I did think that was good writing. I just didn't enjoy reading it, personally). I used to dread Bran's POV too but I've come to appreciate it more with time.

It's interesting how wildly opinions can differ. I love Davos and Brienne and it makes me a little sad that they are so unpopular (same with Sansa, but that's a whole different issue, because I feel like people's reasons for disliking her POV usually aren't because the chapters are boring, like with Davos and Brienne). I also like Dany, and for me she seemed to become more root-worthy just when everyone else started hating her. Oh well! I guess people have different expectations and criteria for liking characters (some like ''bad-assery" and heroics, other prefer more subdued personalities etc).

...but...Brienne's chapters are some of my favourites :(

This topic makes me sad.

Strong women always draw that reaction from certain quarters - like Hillary Clinton. It's a very sad fact of life - I say love Brienne and don't worry about what others think!

Brienne by far.

I do like her, she's great in Jamei and Cat's chapters. She's very one dimensional and while its berable to hear her say those things its awful that its all thats she's think as well.

Sorry but she spends an entire book (I think its 9 chapters) looking for two chacters that we the audiance know are nowhere near where she thinks they are. AFFC's wasn't bad but its bogged down by her when she could have done with 2 chapters at the most.

Bran, since he left Winterfell don't really interest that much.

Brienne by far.

I do like her, she's great in Jamei and Cat's chapters. She's very one dimensional and while its berable to hear her say those things its awful that its all thats she's think as well.

Sorry but she spends an entire book (I think its 9 chapters) looking for two chacters that we the audiance know are nowhere near where she thinks they are. AFFC's wasn't bad but its bogged down by her when she could have done with 2 chapters at the most.

Bran, since he left Winterfell don't really interest that much.

I liked Brienne's POVs - it's true that she doesn't seem to have the same level of internal moral complexity that exists in some of the other POV chapters, but I almost found it refreshing to read the thoughts of a character who is the personification (imo) of so much of what is still right about this world. There is also a sense of tragic sadness and symbolism about her search for Sansa - because the reader knows that she is following all of the wrong leads, but she doesn't, there is this ironic futility about her search that is simultaneously frustrating, admirable, and saddening - even more so, if you consider the fact that Sansa no longer exists. If we take Sansa to represent "honor," i.e. the fulfillment of Brienne and Jaime's oaths to Cat, Brienne is searching for honor in all of the wrong places and doesn't know that honor itself no longer exists - Sansa is no longer Sansa, but Alayne Stone, the natural daughter of LF, a man with no honor.

I also vindicate them because they contain what I think is the most beautiful passage in the entire series:

Septon Meribald disagreed. “More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They’ve heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

“Then they get a taste of battle.

“For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they’ve been gutted by an axe.

“They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that’s still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

“If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they’re fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it’s just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don’t know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they’re fighting for does not know their names, yet

here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world...

“And the man breaks.

“He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them... but he should pity them as well.

I liked Brienne's POVs - it's true that she doesn't seem to have the same level of internal moral complexity that exists in some of the other POV chapters, but I almost found it refreshing to read the thoughts of a character who is the personification (imo) of so much of what is still right about this world. There is also a sense of tragic sadness and symbolism about her search for Sansa - because the reader knows that she is following all of the wrong leads, but she doesn't, there is this ironic futility about her search that is simultaneously frustrating, admirable, and saddening - even more so, if you consider the fact that Sansa no longer exists. If we take Sansa to represent "honor," i.e. the fulfillment of Brienne and Jaime's oaths to Cat, Brienne is searching for honor in all of the wrong places and doesn't know that honor itself no longer exists - Sansa is no longer Sansa, but Alayne Stone, the natural daughter of LF, a man with no honor.

I also vindicate them because they contain what I think is the most beautiful passage in the entire series:

Once Ned died, I think Brienne took his place as the honorable soldier on the field.

I loved that passage as well.

Most beautiful?

Maybe. But it is certainly deeply, and humanely compassionate. It takes a lot of the ache out of the many, many brutal passages that were endured before that.

Those many brutal Arya chapters about the pillaged lands made me wonder if the author had family in the south who told tales of the American Civil War and of Sherman's march to the sea. That must have been like Lorch, Hoat and Clegane in the Riverlands and beyond.

Meribald's description of men going off to war thinking they were going to a great adventure reminds me again of the Civil War soldiers who talked about, "going off to see the circus" . . . and were quickly disabused of that notion.

I think think the northern troops on the whole were well provided for, but the southerners often lacked for the basics and probably did strip the corpses. They probably had more applejack and rye than wine, when they had anything.

I agree wholeheartedly,to me too this is the most beautiful passage in the entire series.

Isn't it? For me, it was the moment where I had a sense of "ah, this is what war is about." The game of thrones isn't truly this sanitized cyvasse game that LF and Cersei and even Robb/Catelyn play at - it's war and death and pillaged fields and burned homes and ruined lives.

Once Ned died, I think Brienne took his place as the honorable soldier on the field.

I loved that passage as well.

Most beautiful?

Maybe. But it is certainly deeply, and humanely compassionate. It takes a lot of the ache out of the many, many brutal passages that were endured before that.

Those many brutal Arya chapters about the pillaged lands made me wonder if the author had family in the south who told tales of the American Civil War and of Sherman's march to the sea. That must have been like Lorch, Hoat and Clegane in the Riverlands and beyond.

Meribald's description of men going off to war thinking they were going to a great adventure reminds me again of the Civil War soldiers who talked about, "going off to see the circus" . . . and were quickly disabused of that notion.

I think think the northern troops on the whole were well provided for, but the southerners often lacked for the basics and probably did strip the corpses. They probably had more applejack and rye than wine, when they had anything.

It's certainly possible. I remember sobbing through the entire first third of Gone With the Wind - whether you like or dislike the story, what it does do is illustrate the human cost of war really well. The same is true I think for Brienne's POVs - rather than focusing on the high lords and their game of thrones, it tells the story of the "innocents who pay the cost." It's an important POV especially because it puts the rest of the story into perspective for the readers.

Arya- Starting in ACOK when she arrives in Harrenhal. I don't really know why, I just kinda lost interest in her story.

BTW: First Post!

Welcome to forums!

...but...Brienne's chapters are some of my favourites :(

This topic makes me sad.

I like Brienne's chapters, too! I also can't understand why people wouldn't like Arya or Bran's POVs, but people see different things in the characters so don't be a frowny face!

All the Brienne chapters. I get that she's a good person and all that, but nothing interesting happens in her chapters.

Damphair.

Victarion. He's just such a misogynistic asshole, I can't stand. Every time he mentioned that he "had no choice" but to kill his wife because his brother raped her, I want to barf. I can't even talk myself into just laughing at his stupidity.

All the Brienne chapters. I get that she's a good person and all that, but nothing interesting happens in her chapters.

To be fair, nothing interesting-Sansa-related happens: Brienne is pretty much following Arya's footsteps only she didn't know about it.

Brienne also gets to recognize Gendry as Renly-related and avenge Jaime's hand before she finds out what happened to The Hound after Arya left him, but then again, that's not Sansa-related either.

Strong women always draw that reaction from certain quarters - like Hillary Clinton. It's a very sad fact of life - I say love Brienne and don't worry about what others think!

Oh, not again. Another "If you don't like X, you're a misogynistic pig!". I have a very radical pro-feminist point of view, I'm even against the patriarchal family etc.

But I don't like Dany. I like Brienne as a character, but her misadventures with the likes of Nimble Dick are just plain boring.

I understand that some people hate Dany or other women because they're sexist (like the ones who try to pick on Dany because she's sleeping with whoever), but sometimes we just don't like them or their chapters. Get over it.

Archived