That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

Admit it, there's that one POV character who you just really don't care about. When you see their name heading the next chapter you're just like UGH. But you made yourself read those chapters anyway even though you have this massive weight in your stomach, wanting the chapter to end already.

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion for sure, but for me it was Jon Snow. I just don't find his story that interesting compared to the others. Most of his chapters just feel like a "checking in" and nothing really happens. Oh great, here's another chapter of Jon making stupid decisions and displaying his incompetence. I can't express enough how much I loathe seeing his name on the next chapter I'm reading.

So which POV character is it for you? And why?

Ha. That just goes to show you how diverse the reader-base is and how some people appeal to certain characters more than others.

Jon is probably my favorite.

I think Arianne or Aeron was the most cringe-worthy for me.

I was never a huge fan of Sansa's either but they have gotten better.

Jon for me. Although I'll admit midway through ADwD I warmed up to him, mainly because of all the interesting things happening around him.

Brienne and Quentyn were boring because you (the reader) already knew their missions were doomed from the start.

Aeron, Victarion and Areo arent that bad but George should've introduced Dorne and the Iron Islands through a single character instead of 3 in each location.

Daenerys chapters are the least interesting to me. Even in the first book they were hard to swallow, and it got much worse in time, save for two or three brief moments (House of the Undying was ok). I even prefer widely criticized Dorne POVs from AFfC.

Basically all POVs based in Essos were disappointing. Quentyn, Barristan, Tyrion - they all contained more filler than I expected at first.

I also felt that Jon and Bran POVs were inconsistent, but it wasn't a big deal. Especially Jon chapters felt like rollercoaster ride: some great stuff intertwined with snoozefest here and there. Bran had his best moments in AGoT and ACoK, or even - to be more generous - before he and fellowship crossed Rauros Queenscrowne. I'm not the biggest fan of his later proceedings, but no need to complain :)

I'm gonna be the odd one out (seeing this thread's history, at least) and say I'll be really disappointed if we don't get a Jon Con POV for TWOW. I'd say Arianne too, but she's been confirmed as POV which makes me happy.

As for which ones I don't care about... I honestly can't remember a single thing that happened during Victarion's chapters. Chapter? I don't remember.

Admit it, there's that one POV character who you just really don't care about. When you see their name heading the next chapter you're just like UGH. But you made yourself read those chapters anyway even though you have this massive weight in your stomach, wanting the chapter to end already.

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion for sure, but for me it was Jon Snow. I just don't find his story that interesting compared to the others. Most of his chapters just feel like a "checking in" and nothing really happens. Oh great, here's another chapter of Jon making stupid decisions and displaying his incompetence. I can't express enough how much I loathe seeing his name on the next chapter I'm reading.

So which POV character is it for you? And why?

I'm going to be honest, at the risk of sounding pretentious, but I'm going to say this is not the case for me. I do have favourite POVs but there aren't any POVs that I particularly dislike. It's not really about the who, it's about the what, asi in what happens in that particular chapter.

I'm going to be honest, at the risk of sounding pretentious, but I'm going to say this is not the case for me. I do have favourite POVs but there aren't any POVs that I particularly dislike. It's not really about the who, it's about the what, asi in what happens in that particular chapter.

Don't worry you did manage to seem a tad pretentious

No offence meant...

This thread is so long!

It's been almost exactly two years so I'll just say something similar to what I said before. All Greyjoys, all Dornish, all three Lannisters.

Basically all the POVs that are not Stark, Dany, or Brienne I do not care about in the slightest.

Archived