That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

Sansa's

But only because her POVs could be covered by Ned's, Tyrion's and Littlefinger's.

What's the point of of a POV that's only repeating things from a less interesting perspective?

Sansa's got a completely different first person perspective from the various men you just named. Being female, young, powerless, in an abusive relationship (with Joffrey), married off against her will, becoming a fugitive for a crime she didn't commit, being in the role of foster mother figure to her cousin, etc., etc. Personally, I think her arc is great but that may not be exciting to readers who like "manly" stuff, war and blood and gore.

I concur with those who don't understand the point of Quentyn's POV. There must be some pay off for it in later books because I don't understand how it had any relevance to the big picture, except that his blunder freed the two dragons that caused more carnage.

Samwell

Jon

Bran

Jon and Bran are just inconsistent for me, some chapters are good but some make me check whos next just so I can have the motivation to keep reading. I'll take a Sansa chapter over these three anyday.

Sansa's got a completely different first person perspective from the various men you just named. Being female, young, powerless, in an abusive relationship (with Joffrey), married off against her will, becoming a fugitive for a crime she didn't commit, being in the role of foster mother figure to her cousin, etc., etc. Personally, I think her arc is great but that may not be exciting to readers who like "manly" stuff, war and blood and gore.

I concur with those who don't understand the point of Quentyn's POV. There must be some pay off for it in later books because I don't understand how it had any relevance to the big picture, except that his blunder freed the two dragons that caused more carnage.

Ditto to both your incredibly articulate points. Well done.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking forward to reading AFFC because I wanted Cersei's point of view. Turns out she's just a delusional idiot. Still enjoyed her chapters though.

I literally cannot see they point of Areo Hotah. He is a camera with a name. I couldn't care less about him.

Even Arys Oakheart is more interesting than Hotah.

Brienne I struggle to truly care about and her chapters were boring wondering around in the wrong direction.

But yeah. Areo.

Even damphair is more interesting. I actually like the Ironborn POVs though.

The amount that I care about a POV tends to go along with how close they are to the events happening in King's Landing or Winterfell. In this series it's delusional to anticipate a personally happy ending for all of the POV's. What I can reasonably want for the ending is a Stark in Winterfell and/or a competent person on the iron throne, so it's hard to care about anything that doesn't closely associate with either of those endings. When I read Dany or Jon's chapters, it's like "okay that's great, what does this have to do with the real story?". It's why Dany got so boring when she gave up on going to Westeros, why Brienne was less interesting after parting from Jaime, why Jon has always bored me. GRRM definitely tries to compensate to make Wall/Essos stuff more interesting with over-the-top characters and magic, but it doesn't cut it for me.

Archived