That POV character you could care less about

jeffklm

That is not how writing and art work at all. He's not trying to sell *you* a book; he's trying to get out a story he wants to tell. That includes telling it the way he wants to, so this is a very dumb criticism of an author. You may be "in business" but that means next to nothing when talking about an author's motivations and style.

You make it sound like he has locked himself away in the toj to write in solitude and without feedback.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

This is a guy who is hyper aware of his audience - in part, because we're a pretty noisy bunch - and in his many interviews he talks about what people want from him. I mean he's on blogs, in chats, does signings, and etc. and he talks to guys like you and me all the time. He knows what we say we want and he plays off that.

He has also talked about writing for Hollywood and his dissatisfaction with that. He has made it clear that the direction of ASOIAF toward a darker place, was in reaction to the long years when he was not allowed to do that. He had an idea that the guys in Hollywood were wrong and there was an audience for what he wanted to do and he's been proven right.

As for dumb...your avatar is an adult male holding cupcakes in front of his eyes, grinning like he's funny. Maybe you ought to hold off on calling others "dumb" till you change it.

Sorry to be British but the phrase is; " you couldn't care less about".

If you could care less about something that inherently means you care at least a small amount so that it is possible to care a less amount than you already care.

If however you "couldn't" care less that means it is impossible for you to care less, you are caring nothing and it is not possible to care less that nothing.

If you could care less about something that inherently means you care at least a small amount so that it is possible to care a less amount than you already care.

If however you "couldn't" care less that means it is impossible for you to care less, you are caring nothing and it is not possible to care less that nothing.

I thought this..

different parts of the series find my attention on different characters. like in ADWD every time I turned the page and saw Tyrion written there I died a little inside... "where do whores go?" grrr no one freaking cares Tyrion!

that being said I liked time during ACOK a lot. Brans chapters can be a little dull but then they become really good. over all I would have to say Areo Hotah was the worst POV in the series IMO ehh! im bored just thinking about him..

I found Hodor's Chapter to be underwhelming. His stance on the hypocrisy of Westerosi political bureaucracy was poignant, but I found his constant need to relate every single event into a long philosophical discussion of comparative analysis got to be a little much.

after jon's final chapter it took me a day to come up with motivation to read the last 2 chapters with dany and selny. and most of that was because i wanted to get to the epilogue and theon 1 in twow.

with brienne sansa i felt the same.

the worst grind however were the dornish chapters. however you can hardly tell the pov in.advance if you're new.

i hate dany but i hate arianne more.

Dany-I started off being interested but it sort of tapered off though I can't say where exactly. Perhaps near the end of SoS?

Sansa-from GoT on though thought she became a bit more bearable in AFFC though whether that's Littlefinger's inclusion in things (in my case probably. What can I say I have a fascination with psychopaths.)

Damphair-I've never liked being preached to

I want to say Brienne but at the same time I don't. I love her character and the character growth she's undergone. I guess, for me, it was more frustration with how her chapters were written. For example:

"I'm looking for my sister. A highborn maid of three-and-ten, with auburn hair and blue eyes. She may be traveling with a fool."

And that was like every page for a good chunk. I didn't even look at the book when I typed the above quote and it's probably been at least a month since I so much as glanced at one of those passages, yet it was still repeated enough that I remember it to this day. :stunned: At least I think I'm pretty close with it.

As a sidenote: I'd love an Olenna and/or Margery POV.

Sansa's POV I find it pointless, she's not privy to anything we don't already know, she's not part of the game and she's not active character. she's the definition of a pawn being moved from place to place as others see fit I find her excruciatingly boring TBH I would much prefer a Ramsay or one of his lackies POV or anyone else for that matter than her POV.

Sansa's POV I find it pointless, she's not privy to anything we don't already know, she's not part of the game and she's not active character. she's the definition of a pawn being moved from place to place as others see fit I find her excruciatingly boring TBH I would much prefer a Ramsay or one of his lackies POV or anyone else for that matter than her POV.

I have faith (semi unfounded) that GRRM is going to do something big with Sansa in the end to make the journey worth it. In short, I think she'll be queen, but have gotten there in a way she could never have imagined when she set out for KL with high hopes and Joffrey.

I hate to be that guy, but I'm fairly sure you mean the POV character I couldn't care less about.

Absolutely; somebody had to say it.

I don't really care much for Brienne's chapters. 80% of Arya's chapters are pretty mundane in my eyes, too.

That he needed a fly on the wall outsider character who could observe Dorne and explain Dornish culture to the reader in detail, but not really have much impact. Understandible, but yes, it makes for a very dull character.

I think he was planning to develop Areo Hotah the same way he developed Davos, but it didn't work out. He has no involvement at all in the proceedings. He just stands there doing nothing.

Archived