Nigeria is going to take over the world

Fez

The UN has some crazy new demographic predictions for the world 2100. The biggest takeway is that while Asia is predicted to keep growing until around 2050, its population will then shrink to only a bit above current numbers (China's one child policy at work), South America and Europe's populations are expected to decline, and North America is expected to grow modestly (mostly thanks to immigration to the US), but Africa's population is expected to quadruple over the next 87 years. An unprecedented level of population growth fueled by significantly closing the life expectancy gap with the developed world, and a huge amount of the current population being under 15 (meaning there's lots of people who are about to start having kids).

Lots of African countries are expected to grow significantly (Tanzania and Congo are each predicted to have over 250 million people), but the biggest one is Nigeria, which is expected to grow by a factor of 8, and become the second largest country in the world with a population of over 1 billion. Considering Nigeria is only roughly the size of Texas, this could lead to tension.

Not really sure what else to say about all this except, wow. Also, we've really got to do something about climate change, and probably food production.

Also, interestingly, the only two European countries not projected to have shrinking populations are the UK and France, but only if they continue to allow immigration from former colonies. Germany on the other hand is predicted to shrink rather dramatically.

And how is a population that has trouble feeding itself, now, going to quadruple?

Population growth leads to at least enough economic growth to keep current living standards maintained. Whether it leads to any more than that is the big question for the next century.

It's a strange thing indeed, that the prize for achieving success (i.e. reaching developed nation status first) is a topping off of your population and an inevitable one way trip to future irrelevance, due to rampant, unchecked population growth in less developed nations.

Very worrying, truth be told.

Population growth leads to at least enough economic growth to keep current living standards maintained. Whether it leads to any more than that is the big question for the next century.

I was thinking more along the lines of when does the world's population surpass its ability to feed that population.

It's a strange thing indeed, that the prize for achieving success (i.e. reaching developed nation status first) is a topping off of your population and an inevitable one way trip to future irrelevance, due to rampant, unchecked population growth in less developed nations.

Yes. Someone must do something about the unchecked growth of the culturally inferior untermenschen, ja?

I was thinking more along the lines of when does the world's population surpass its ability to feed that population.

Well, theoretically not for a while. Supposedly the Earth can support roughly 30 billion people, and since the non-African world is not expected to grow significantly, we're only looking at maybe 14 billion in 2100. Obviously we can't support that many people now, but if the market's there, agribusinesses will go into it. And maybe we'll be able to genetically modify some foods to make them much more nutritious and high caloric and bust right there that 30 billion number.

I think this idea of a foot race among nations ignores a good bit of history, specifically the relationship of the developing world to Africa.

Beyond that, I don't see how overpopulation in other countries renders developed nations irrelevant.

Yes. Someone must do something about the unchecked growth of the culturally inferior untermenschen, ja?

Well no.

If, like me, you view the world as an ever continuing struggle for resources, supremacy and dominance between different nations, and since there is an inevitable long term power - be it economic, political, social or military - attached to superior population numbers (see China's rise to power for example, which is directly linked to its immense population), then a future where rivals from other parts of the world are bound to procreate you into irrelevance is a bleak one indeed.

I want Western Culture to dominate the future, like it has dominated the present and the recent past. Just like someone from China do doubt rubs his hands in glee at a potential future dominated by the East. Well, the South no doubt feels the same way, as does every other part of the world.

I simply reduce it all to an inevitable battle for supremacy, which those with the largest numbers are likely to win in the long run.

Why do we always think more is better? Maybe the planet can support that many people, but, but it won't be worth living on. How many tons of garbage and how many millions of gallons of sewage would that many people produce?

Maybe so. But who are we to tell people they can't have that many kids?

Better to focus our efforts on technological breakthroughs that will maintain, or even better, improve, current living standards.

If, like me, you view the world as an ever continuing struggle for resources, supremacy and dominance between different nations, and since there is an inevitable long term power - be it economic, political, social or military - attached to superior population numbers (see China's rise to power for example, which is directly linked to its immense population), then a future where rivals from other parts of the world are bound to procreate you into irrelevance is a bleak one indeed.

Well, seeing as how the dominant powers of the last few centuries achieved and held their dominance by exploiting and enslaving the areas of the world that are currently viewed as inferior, it doesn't seem fair dinkum to be so opposed to the shoe going on the other foot.

Maybe so. But who are we to tell people they can't have that many kids?

Better to focus our efforts on technological breakthroughs that will maintain, or even better, improve, current living standards.

Quite aside from the political implications, the fact is that population growth is the single biggest cause of pretty much every modern problem facing the world.

Every year, 80 million people are added to the world population. That's another Germany, added to the world every year. You cut down on your carbon footprint? Well BOOM, another Germany is added to fill the gap.

Year 1 you decide to use less electricity? BOOM, there's another Germany that needs electricity.

Year 2 you use less oil? BOOM, you guessed it, another Germany that has energy needs.

Year 3 you plant a tree? Yup. BOOM, another Germany that needs furniture made from wood.

We can't keep this up. Limiting popuation growth will cure virtually every modern problem.

Archived