People starting with ASOS or just skipping chapters

If you're reading for pleasure, it's entirely up to you

Well, I'm not prepping a dissertation on ASoIaF, no. Is anyone? (Though I admit I can't imagine researching an author whose work didn't give me pleasure).

please don't come to forums and pretend to participate in discussions on the same level

WOW.

Well, I'm not prepping a dissertation on ASoIaF, no. Is anyone? (Though I admit I can't imagine researching an author whose work didn't give me pleasure).

I don't know about dissertations, but I have seen a thread entirely about ideas for essays. Also, there are a ton of threads which are essay based.

Huh.

Didn't actually sit down to read GoT until about five months after I joined here-I'd raad the Stark girl's and Cat', Ned's chapters but not Tyrion's.

I always skim or outright skip battle sequences in the books-Blackwater (skim), that first battle Tyrion fought in AGoT (skip), Stannis crushing the wildlngs (skim)/. Jon defending the Wall's the only one I liked.

I find it fascinating to see how widely readers' tastes vary. We all like the series here (I assume), but for completely different reasons in some cases. Many people mention that they were bored by some of the travelogue/worldbuilding chapters in the books, while others feel the same way about battle sequences.

how can someone skip AGOT? it's the best book of the series (and yeah, I started after watching the first season and enjoyed every passage of that book like I was eating candy and licking the package *wtf*)

so much details and emotion

what's wrong with the unsullied?

I find it fascinating to see how widely readers' tastes vary. We all like the series here (I assume), but for completely different reasons in some cases. Many people mention that they were bored by some of the travelogue/worldbuilding chapters in the books, while others feel the same way about battle sequences.

And that's ok! It's a sign of good writing that so many different tastes are satisfied by this one series.

how can someone skip AGOT? it's the best book of the series

so much details and emotion

what's wrong with the unsullied?

We want TO KNOW WHEN THE LANNISTERS GET THEIR DUE. WE WANT TO SEE DANY RIDE INTO WESTEROS, MARRY JON SNOW AND KICK ASS AND TAKE NAMES.

Once we finish Dance and have our illusions shattered, we readers of summer accept that winter is coming and reread the books in sequence.

I started with Storm, right after season 2 finished.

It wasn't impossible, far from difficult even. If you pay attention, you can get a lot of the details and backstories that were explained in the first two books and are only alluded to in the latter. It didn't impair my understanding of the story or the characters, for the most part. Only smaller details are definitely missed, and it was nice picking up Game and Clash after finishing Dance and seeing that character X was actually introduced way earlier, things like that.

I don't regret it at all, as I wouldn't have regretted starting from Game. But I do think it will be too hard now for show fans to pick up from where season 3 ended, since the chronology is getting all mixed up.

You can barely tell them apart? They're the silver-haired girl's burden? Give me AFfC any day. A few characters developing themselves and a whole devastated landscape to do it in.

LOL we call unsullied the people who only watch the tv show

or were you just being sarcastic?

For me first I watched seasons 1 and 2 then read AGOT, ACOK, ASOS, AFFC/ADWD (using the boiled leather spoiler-free guide on reading both together)

It was kind of ridiculous reading the first book because so much is similar to season 1 but ACOK has enough differences with the show that I wasn't too annoyed by it. I have friends that tried to read the books but lost patience and looked up spoilers and synopsis instead. Not too many people like to just sit down and read a good book anymore.

The only other major series I got into was Harry Potter and with that I started with the books and didn't touch the movies until the Deathly Hallows 1 and 2, which I saw after I had read the book.

My thoughts are that your harsh criticism is stupid. Why should it matter to you, the way another prefers to read his or her books?

Why is it stupid to criticize people who skip entire chapters or even books?

Would you take someone's opinion serious on a movie if they skipped the boring opening 30 minutes?

Would you watch LOTR but skip TTT because the end game is more exciting?

Watched the first two seasons, then started the series from AGoT and never skipped a chapter. I thought this was the only way you can say you've actually read a series. There were chapters I disliked, if not hated, but what's the point in skipping them, then hitting another chapter that makes no sense whatsoever because you don't know who certain characters are or you've missed a reveal? Since people who do this are later forced to read the series again from scratch anyway to take things in that they've missed, this is far more time consuming, really. It's the equivalent of watching a movie and using fast forward the whole way through.

Some guys at work ask me if they should just start on book 3 and of course I say they should definitely read all of them, with the foreshadowing and the references to the past. I mean they should especially read ACOK because it's waaayy above season 2 the show, it doesn't even compare. But sadly, they will never read them because some people just don't like to read.

I think it's silliness to start on book 3 but to each their own.

Archived