Words of Radiance Discussion (Full spoilers for WoK & WoR)

Ded As Ned

So how did I miss Shallan having a Shardblade? I finished the book just yesterday and never really noticed it...

There's a scene near the end when the shit is hitting the fan and the line is something like "She put her hand out to summon her sin" or something along those lines.

ETA: Apparently, there is a Stormlight wikia.. (Who knew?!!?)

From their Shallan entry:

In a suppressed memory she recalls 'the event' that led to her father's death where she remembers a long silvery sword in her hand that is sharp enough to cut stone. Throughout the book, she has on a couple of occasions begun to summon her Shardblade, in spite of her determination to never use it, but has so far avoided completing the process.

There's a scene near the end when the shit is hitting the fan and the line is something like "She put her hand out to summon her sin" or something along those lines.

There was at least one other time earlier in the book when she started to summon it. I don't remember the specifics, just that I picked up on that she had one much earlier than the climax. #group-reread-needed

There was at least one other time earlier in the book when she started to summon it. I don't remember the specifics, just that I picked up on that she had one much earlier than the climax. #group-reread-needed

Yeah, I had picked up on it as well.

My Bakker reread is being interrupted by my second book being detoured to a friend's storage unit. So I'm up for reading WoK again.

Yeah, I had picked up on it as well.

My Bakker reread is being interrupted by my second book being detoured to a friend's storage unit. So I'm up for reading WoK again.

Well I'm in the middle of Abercrobie book one, but I'm willing to do a chapter or so a day simultaneous if others are interested. I figure we ought to wait for OJ though...

Well I'm in the middle of Abercrobie book one, but I'm willing to do a chapter or so a day simultaneous if others are interested. I figure we ought to wait for OJ though...

I'm in no rush. Come one, come all to the Way of Kings reread.... Kentucky style!!! Watch us turn the Turtleman loose on some of Roshar's bizarre fauna!

Yeah, I found at least one scene. Really missed it. Guess I should pay more attention when I don't read in my native.

Anyway - which confrontation has a bigger potentional?

Kaladin vs Amaram or

Kaladin vs Szeth

Yeah, I found at least one scene. Really missed it. Guess I should pay more attention when I don't read in my native.

Anyway - which confrontation has a bigger potentional?

Kaladin vs Amaram or

Kaladin vs Szeth

Kaladin vs. Szeth for on-screen-stormlight-wielding-awesomeness

Kaladin vs. Amaram for emotional impact.

I really look forward to both.

I'm in no rush. Come one, come all to the Way of Kings reread.... Kentucky style!!! Watch us turn the Turtleman loose on some of Roshar's bizarre fauna!

:rofl:

And this week on Call of the Wildman... watch Ernie deal with a kremling infestation on the Shattered Plains, and watch online the bonus scene where he wrestles a greatshell into submission with his bare hands!

ETA: Apparently, there is a Stormlight wikia.. (Who knew?!!?)

From their Shallan entry:

That wiki quote seems to indicate the Shardblade was in her hand when "the event" happened that killed her father. But if it were his, wouldn't he have to die first before she could wield it? (thinking on where she got it from, here) ETA: Wait, that's not right either. Because Dalinar gives his up willingly to Whatzizname (without dying, obviously. But I forget the rules of transferring ownership).

Ok, ok, need for a re-read and all that. Slow day at work on a Friday.

That wiki quote seems to indicate the Shardblade was in her hand when "the event" happened that killed her father. But if it were his, wouldn't he have to die first before she could wield it? (thinking on where she got it from, here) ETA: Wait, that's not right either. Because Dalinar gives his up willingly to Whatzizname (without dying, obviously. But I forget the rules of transferring ownership).

Ok, ok, need for a re-read and all that. Slow day at work on a Friday.

I actually read the Prelude and Prologue last night... but then today I was surprised with an ARC of Luke Scull's The Grim Company. I'll probably read that before I go any further in Stormlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up WoK again. Pretty awesome what you pick up from the epigraphs on reread. Beginning Chapter four:

I'm dying aren't I? Healer, why do you take my blood? Who is that beside you with the head of lines?. I can see a distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky.

Only on Chap 6, been enjoying the Tor reread observations as I go. Really adds to the experience.

Picked up WoK again. Pretty awesome what you pick up from the epigraphs on reread. Beginning Chapter four:

Only on Chap 6, been enjoying the Tor reread observations as I go. Really adds to the experience.

So what's with the head of lines? Totally don't remember the reference. Wait for me dammit!

So what's with the head of lines? Totally don't remember the reference. Wait for me dammit!

I'm reading pretty slow right now. No worries!

I'm mobile and can't reference directly, but its pretty clear its one of those things Shallan saw in that other dimension or whatever it was.

I'm mobile and can't reference directly, but its pretty clear its one of those things Shallan saw in that other dimension or whatever it was.

Ah, that's interesting! My original hardback got left on the back bumper of our family vehicle never to be found after a trip to the store. Sucked because I was right at the climax (thus why I was toting the book around with me outside while watching the kids) and had to run grab the library's copy to finish up. I've been meaning to order a signed copy from Brandon but haven't gottena round to it. Anyway that's a long-winded way of saying I'll stop by the library tomorrow and I'll see if I can catch up this weekend.

Ah, that's interesting! My original hardback got left on the back bumper of our family vehicle never to be found after a trip to the store. Sucked because I was right at the climax (thus why I was toting the book around with me outside while watching the kids) and had to run grab the library's copy to finish up. I've been meaning to order a signed copy from Brandon but haven't gottena round to it. Anyway that's a long-winded way of saying I'll stop by the library tomorrow and I'll see if I can catch up this weekend.

I got the book signed by Sanderson and Harriet McDougal (Robert Jordan's widow... she helped edit the book) at the AMoL signing at JoeBeth in Lexington. I'm sure he'll make a return trip for the WoR tour, ToR authors generally seem to. My plan will be to hit that as well.

I got the book signed by Sanderson and Harriet McDougal (Robert Jordan's widow... she helped edit the book) at the AMoL signing at JoeBeth in Lexington. I'm sure he'll make a return trip for the WoR tour, ToR authors generally seem to. My plan will be to hit that as well.

Yep me too. I skipped the AMoL signing because I knew it would be super crowded and I'm not big on long lines. Hoping the Radiance signing isn't that bad (although I guess it's a good thing for JoBeth/BS if it is...).

ETA: That reminds me of another signing I went to at JoBeth for RJ... book 5 or 6 I think. I had already finished the book and waiting in line someone recommended a GoT... the rest is history

Yep me too. I skipped the AMoL signing because I knew it would be super crowded and I'm not big on long lines. Hoping the Radiance signing isn't that bad (although I guess it's a good thing for JoBeth/BS if it is...).

I might even hit that up if it's on a day I can make the trip up from western Kentucky.

It can be a BWB: Bluegrass Edition meetup!

Archived