Words of Radiance Discussion (Full spoilers for WoK & WoR)

Ded As Ned

#1 reason why I don't read preview chapters. #2 being I don't want spoilers.

I get wanting to wait until the book's out, but I'm not really sure how they qualify as spoilers. You're not getting secondhand information about what happens in the book, you're reading the exact chapters in the book. And they're not scattered chapters, they're the first few chapters in the book, presented sequentially, so you're not skipping over anything that later chapters would hint at.

I get wanting to wait until the book's out, but I'm not really sure how they qualify as spoilers. You're not getting secondhand information about what happens in the book, you're reading the exact chapters in the book. And they're not scattered chapters, they're the first few chapters in the book, presented sequentially, so you're not skipping over anything that later chapters would hint at.

Just don't want to spoil myself. Spoilers is probably a bad term. I haven't read any of the Winds of Winter either.

The way of Kings was my first Sanderson read. Although not a fan of "high" fantasy, Kings changed my opinion. An amazing world with great word building and with a scheduled 10! installments from a extremely prolific author. A must read. As a side note, I was so impressed with Mr. Sandersons world I was able to get a signed first edition through his website. A true fan friendly author. Eagerly awaiting the next stormlight archive, Words of Radiance.

Just devoured the preview chapters, it's looking pretty good so far. Shallan certainly is far more interesting than she was in WoK.

Only thing I didn't like is that it seems Amaram is being set up to have a role in the Knight's Radiant/Desolation...which means Kaladin can't kill him. Honestly, I'd find it very refreshing if Kaladin is put in that type of situation and still chooses vengeance over letting Amaram live for the "greater good". We get the satisfaction of seeing Amaram get his comeuppance, and Kaladin has deal with the fallout of his decision, setting him up for some character growth and whatnot. I doubt it will go down that way though.

b

That is why the love triangle will be interesting. Shallan is very committed to helping her family as well, which she does best through Adolin.

I'm expecting a love triangle between Shallan, Adolin and Renarin myself. It would mirror the love triangle Navani had with Gavilar and Dalinar quite well imo. And I think being forced to choose between a scholar and a warrior would reinforce the internal struggle Shallan will be dealing with too. Society dictates she be a scholar since she's a woman, but she's also shardbearer and a Knight Radiant, which we know had female warriors. Jasnah doesn't think Shallan will have martial type powers, and Shallan felt disappointed when told that, but I think she is wrong.

This is supposed to be a 10 book series though, so I could definitely see Shallan and Kaladin forging a relationship later on. Like when they are both leaders of their new orders in the Knight's Radiant.

Read through the released chapters, they were not that great (especially Kaladin) when compared to the Lift interlude. It's a bit underwhelming that we'll probably not see much more of Lift, ever.

She was awesome. That's her only chapter in this book sadly, but Brandon's assistant pretty much confirmed she will be back in a more significant role in future books in the comment's section on the Tor site.

Rereading some of the thread, Re: Parshmen. From the preview chapters released on TOR...

I'll spoiler tag this anyway, even though it's really minor:

Curious to see that Shen is coming out of his shell and becoming a real part of Bridge 4. I'm really interested to see what happens when whatever happens to the Parshmen (and I'm sure it will be

something), happens. In 63 days, book-time, i'm guessing

So is there going to be another excerpt today? Brandon's blog makes it seem that way....

Yeah that's what he said, but doesn't look like anything is up on TOR.com yet. I just finished Lift's interlude (I had started it before and got interrupted, and just realized today I had never finished it). Lots of juicy info-bits in there.

I keep forgetting that 9 of the Heralds have been running around on Roshar all this time, and well, after the WoK ending, I guess all 10 are now present (and their little plan to avoid damnation didn't quite work out so well, or maybe it did for a few dozen centures).

Do we know how long it typically was between Desolations?

ETA: New chapters and interlude are up now. I think this is the last batch, but we've gotten a good 10% or so of the book. That only leaves 900 pages or so to tackle in March, lol.

ETA: New chapters and interlude are up now. I think this is the last batch, but we've gotten a good 10% or so of the book. That only leaves 900 pages or so to tackle in March, lol.

I have to say, I wish more authors (any really) would show the kind of consideration for fans that BS does. Few can match how prolific he is, but all can do more to help their fans through the interminable wait between books...and it's great publicity! No is not going to buy the book because they read 10% of it.

I have to say, I wish more authors (any really) would show the kind of consideration for fans that BS does. Few can match how prolific he is, but all can do more to help their fans through the interminable wait between books...and it's great publicity! No is not going to buy the book because they read 10% of it.

Certainly, I can't imagine it does anything but bring in additional readers. Someone not familiar with the series reads the pre-release chapters and wants to know more, and decides to buy the books. But nobody that planned on buying the books anyway is going to read it and then change their mind (or mayhaps a select few, at most).

Archived