Words of Radiance Discussion (Full spoilers for WoK & WoR)

Ded As Ned

I'm kinda excited to learn more about the Parshendi... but I hope he does things slowly. But, considering that we now know what they are... well, that big reveal at the end of book one opened up a whole storm of questions.

I want the next book soon.

I'm kinda excited to learn more about the Parshendi... but I hope he does things slowly. But, considering that we now know what they are... well, that big reveal at the end of book one opened up a whole storm of questions.

I want the next book soon.

Gah! I really need to check out the TOR re-read, I'm drawing a complete blank about what the big Parshendi reveal was at the end.

You're not alone. I don't remember it either.

My big WTF moments were discovering that Shallan had killed her father for a shardblade and the abandoning of the shardplate by someone who's name completely slips my mind at the moment. I really don't recall much about the parshendi at the end.

I think my favorite bit was the ghosts/interdimensional beings/whatever the hell they were that were haunting Shallan. I remember that being very atmospheric and that it actually gave me the sense of terror in the room. It was some of the best writing that I've seen from Sanderson.

You're not alone. I don't remember it either.

Me neither. The parshendi were still a big mystery as far as I remember. Their shardbearer showed up for the fight... but there was no big reveal I recall, and I finished only a few months ago.

Unless we all missed something subtle?

My big WTF moments were discovering that Shallan had killed her father for a shardblade and the abandoning of the shardplate by someone who's name completely slips my mind at the moment. I really don't recall much about the parshendi at the end.

I think my favorite bit was the ghosts/interdimensional beings/whatever the hell they were that were haunting Shallan. I remember that being very atmospheric and that it actually gave me the sense of terror in the room. It was some of the best writing that I've seen from Sanderson.

Geez I never even put it together that killing her father was how she got her shardblade! :dunce:

Geez I never even put it together that killing her father was how she got her shardblade! :dunce:

It's been a good long while since I read it, but I seem to remember it being sorta ambiguous. She may have killed her father, but it wasn't presented definitively, was it? I seem to remember thinking at the time that Brandon was trying to make it seem that way and then we'd find out later it wasn't the case.

Or maybe I'm just making all that up. I really need to re-read and this thread makes me want to jump into WoK again.

It's been a good long while since I read it, but I seem to remember it being sorta ambiguous. She may have killed her father, but it wasn't presented definitively, was it? I seem to remember thinking at the time that Brandon was trying to make it seem that way and then we'd find out later it wasn't the case.

Or maybe I'm just making all that up. I really need to re-read and this thread makes me want to jump into WoK again.

Well she definitely had the shardblade. One of the big reveals at the end was that she killed her father... she has to tell the spirits/demons/whatever a secret, the jucier the better, and she blurts out "I murdered my father". They seemed quite pleased. It only follows that was how the got the shardblade... i'm not sure if it is explicitly stated or not, but seems to make sense.

Well she definitely had the shardblade. One of the big reveals at the end was that she killed her father... she has to tell the spirits/demons/whatever a secret, the jucier the better, and she blurts out "I murdered my father". They seemed quite pleased. It only follows that was how the got the shardblade... i'm not sure if it is explicitly stated or not, but seems to make sense.

Yeah, but we don't really know how he died. (Unless I am just totally mis-remembering.) Maybe she just did something that inadvertently led to his death, got his shardblade and now blames herself for his death. Or maybe she just straight-up ganked him.

I just think if she had flat-out killed him, we would have been told that a bit more bluntly.

Yeah, but we don't really know how he died. (Unless I am just totally mis-remembering.) Maybe she just did something that inadvertently led to his death, got his shardblade and now blames herself for his death. Or maybe she just straight-up ganked him.

I just think if she had flat-out killed him, we would have been told that a bit more bluntly.

This is true. I'm sure we'll find out in book 2, since we will be getting her backstory. I guess I thought her use of "murdered" was telling (being with intent, as opposed to "killed", which could mean many things), but maybe Brandon is just playing with us. Frankly I find her much more interesting if she did gank ol' dad.

Eshonai, the Parshendi shardbearer, will have interlude chapters in Words of Radiance, and at this point is planned to be the main viewpoint character of book 4. I can't wait, personally.

I've been meaning to ask, where you got this info?

The Parshendi reveal was that they are the Voidbringers. I don't completely buy it though.

Yeah seems like Jasnah or somebody thought that... but I never bought it as canon. They might be related to Odin Odium somehow, but they aren't anything like the acutal voidbringers we see from Dalinar's visions. The Parshendi strike me more as native to Roshar (whereas humans obviously are not, except perhaps in Shinovar). Then there's the whole thing with the parshmen too... RAFO I guess

The big reveal was that the Parshmen are voidbringers.

I personally buy it. The evidence that Jasnah found is pretty solid, I think. It would also mean that the Voidbringers are all in place to decimate the human population when they decide to really attack in full force.

I would buy it if it wasn't Sanderson. Sanderson is tricksy, and his greatest asset has always been his imagination and ability to move things in unexpected turns. This early in the series, there is no way that anything will be as simple as it seems. The Parshmen may very well be voidbringers of some kind (or may not) but I doubt it's as simple as that.

Archived