Words of Radiance Discussion (Full spoilers for WoK & WoR)

Ded As Ned

I dunno, Kaladin's distrust of lighteyes is going to take awhile to come around.

I just noticed they've redone the cover, Kaladin's pose doesn't look as awkward in the new one.

b

That is why the love triangle will be interesting. Shallan is very committed to helping her family as well, which she does best through Adolin.

Interesting. They did. He now sits up a little straighter.

Plus he's not fondling a glowing rock, and got rid of the dopey expression on his face. The new cover actually looks close to how I imagine him. (ETA: Amazon still shows the old cover, so I did a side-by-side to see what had changed)

b

That is why the love triangle will be interesting. Shallan is very committed to helping her family as well, which she does best through Adolin.

Meh, we'll have to RaFO I guess,,, I could see Jasnah taking interest in his abilities, but I dunno about Kaladin & romance in his current situation.

I guess it's my personal bias showing through. Romantic sub-plots will take screen-time away from the super-leader badassedness I enjoy in his story, lol.

Isn't a love triangle a bit risque for our Brandon?

Are you confusing love triangle with polyamory? Or maybe I do, lol. By love triangle I'm thinking something like Shallan and Adolin are engaged, but her true feelings are for Kaladin, and the tension that creates kind of thing.

Although, I'd be very impressed with Brandon if he went the risque route. He is rather progressive for a Mormon, after all.

Meh, we'll have to RaFO I guess,,, I could see Jasnah taking interest in his abilities, but I dunno about Kaladin & romance in his current situation.

I guess it's my personal bias showing through. Romantic sub-plots will take screen-time away from the super-leader badassedness I enjoy in his story, lol.

Agreed. I felt the same way about LOST. I wish fans didn't care so much about romantic sub-plots because writers often feel the need to appease those fans. There is more interesting/important stuff going on.

I'm not accusing Brandon of that...we'll have to wait and see how it is handled in WoR.

Thank god they changed the cover. Thank god. I can now have this book on my shelf without feeling the urge to cover it up with some strategically placed napkins or dirty laundry.

There was at least one other time earlier in the book when she started to summon it. I don't remember the specifics, just that I picked up on that she had one much earlier than the climax. #group-reread-needed

I think it was when she was attacked in the alley.

I think it was when she was attacked in the alley.

That was the second reference... the first was in Chapter 7: (doing a re-read and just came across it the other day)

As always, thinking of her father made her feel ill, and the pain started to constrict her chest. She raised her freehand to her head, suddenly overwhelmed by the weight of House Davar’s situation, her part in it, and the secret she now carried, hidden ten heartbeats away.

I always tell myself I'm not going to read any advance material, yet I always find myself reading summaries from cons and/or advance release material from authors I'm anticipating...

As to the signing tour, I'm confident he'll do Joe-Beth... they usually do great publicity and typically draw bigger crowds than many places in bigger metro areas (much to my chagrin when I'm waiting in line). I guess on the other side of the coin, I'm happy they get such big crowds because it ensures I get to attend signings locally...

(ETA: Who knew there was a Joe-Beth in Crestview Hills (greater Cincy, KY side) now? When did that happen?)

I always tell myself I'm not going to read any advance material, yet I always find myself reading summaries from cons and/or advance release material from authors I'm anticipating...

As to the signing tour, I'm confident he'll do Joe-Beth... they usually do great publicity and typically draw bigger crowds than many places in bigger metro areas (much to my chagrin when I'm waiting in line). I guess on the other side of the coin, I'm happy they get such big crowds because it ensures I get to attend signings locally...

(ETA: Who knew there was a Joe-Beth in Crestview Hills (greater Cincy, KY side) now? When did that happen?)

I've only been to two signings ever, both at Joe-Beth. GRRM for Dance and then Sanderson for AMoL. They handled both very well. You purchase the book from them and they give you a "letter" for your place in line. After the reading/discussion they call you up in groups; so the line is never all that long.

I'd like to find out if he is for certain coming to Joe-Beth so I can make plans to get the book from them and have it shipped.

I've only been to two signings ever, both at Joe-Beth. GRRM for Dance and then Sanderson for AMoL. They handled both very well. You purchase the book from them and they give you a "letter" for your place in line. After the reading/discussion they call you up in groups; so the line is never all that long.

I'd like to find out if he is for certain coming to Joe-Beth so I can make plans to get the book from them and have it shipped.

I have a friend who works there I'll see if he can find out anything (ETA, but I'm guessing TOR is still working out the schedule/details).

Here was the response Peter gave on Facebook to my question:

There IS going to be a midnight release at the BYU Bookstore. As for the rest of the tour, that is still being arranged, but I believe they want to announce it before the end of January.

So should have an answer in the coming days. Good to know.

Archived