U.S. Politics: lt's not hard

TerraPrime

Guest Raidne

...Change Redskins to Washington Voteless or Washington Disenfranchised. (okay, not really, but I couldn't resist...)

Hey, it's already on the license plates. Too bad the Patriots is already taken.

Chris Christie vs. Rand Paul. I'm kind of enjoying it.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/christie-paul-should-cut-kentuckys-pork-barrel-spending

Bonus points to Christie for mentioning that Paul's state is a welfare case suckling at the federal teat.

Never liked Paul, so I am rooting for Christie in this spat. But for the Democrats, we will probably have an easier fight in general election if people like Paul wins the nomination.

Not that I think Paul will, but still.

Christie is the kind of republicans you could reach a reasonable compromise with, so I'm all for Christie slapping the shit out of that libertarian dipshit Paul.

I also don't think Christie would win the Repub nomination because he dare to praise Obama, lol.

So here's a fun fact per CRS, the way Obamacare is structured and with the funding sources it draws from, a government shutdown would do very little to impact its implementation. Republicans could keep the government shutdown going as long as they want (spoiler: it won't be long at all, if it even happens) and Obamacare will still roll right on out.

Never liked Paul, so I am rooting for Christie in this spat. But for the Democrats, we will probably have an easier fight in general election if people like Paul wins the nomination.

Given that I have a better shot at winning the Republican nomination than Chris Christie, I suppose we'll never know. However, barring the (highly unlikely) nomination of a vanity candidate like Donald Trump, or a nutcase like Michelle Bachman, one Republican will get pretty much the same support as another. As far as I can see, the best indicators for how voters will go in any presidential election are partisan affiliation and the state of the economy.

Appeal court rules against NY's soda size-restriction .................. oh well, it was a good try.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/nyregion/appeals-court-rules-against-bloomberg-beverage-rules.html?_r=0

That was an over-reach, and an ineffective way to tackle a real problem. So not too sad that it got shot down.

That was an over-reach, and an ineffective way to tackle a real problem. So not too sad that it got shot down.

How is it ineffective? Portion control is incredibly effective.

I could see the over-reach argument, but I think the proposal would have been quite effective at curbing obesity.

Yes, portion control is incredible at helping people control their weight, provided people stick to them.

The ban on large-sized soft drinks does no such thing, as people can buy multiple ones if they want. Or refills. It's a superficial fix that doesn't really solve the underlying problem. They'd have had a better impact if they had hard-line capp'd the percent of sugar in any soft drinks, for instance.

Yes, portion control is incredible at helping people control their weight, provided people stick to them.

The ban on large-sized soft drinks does no such thing, as people can buy multiple ones if they want. Or refills. It's a superficial fix that doesn't really solve the underlying problem. They'd have had a better impact if they had hard-line capp'd the percent of sugar in any soft drinks, for instance.

But people don't do that though. Shit, why do you think they even offer free refills? Cause the majority of people don't take advantage of them.

The reason large drinks are bad (and some of this extends to other issues) is that people buy them based on the allusion of saving money. "The medium is $1, but the large is only $1.30. I'm saving money!" This is actually an incredibly powerful force in marketing. Even though they don't need or want the larger size, they'll get it because "It's more, for cheaper!".

And once they have it, the portion issue comes into play. They have it, so they drink it.

If you take the larger sizes away, people will just buy the smaller sizes and go on with their day. The vast majority will not attempt to substitute.

But people don't do that though. Shit, why do you think they even offer free refills? Cause the majority of people don't take advantage of them.

The reason large drinks are bad (and some of this extends to other issues) is that people buy them based on the allusion of saving money. "The medium is $1, but the large is only $1.30. I'm saving money!" This is actually an incredibly powerful force in marketing. Even though they don't need or want the larger size, they'll get it because "It's more, for cheaper!".

And once they have it, the portion issue comes into play. They have it, so they drink it.

If you take the larger sizes away, people will just buy the smaller sizes and go on with their day. The vast majority will not attempt to substitute.

Bill Maher hates you

There are conflicting studies on the issue, but here's a recent one supporting terraprime's argument:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0061081

Our research suggests that businesses have a strong incentive to offer bundles of soda when drink size is limited. Restricting larger-sized drinks may have the unintended consequence of increasing soda consumption rather than decreasing it.

I am okay with the ban going away, because that feels a bit too micromanaging of people's lives to me, but the research says it really does make a difference, Terra. You can get a refill or buy another... but usually you don't.

Archived