Anyone feel what happened to Cersei was a cop-out?

The Taxman

Keep in mind I've read the Cersei chapters only once and at an above average speed compared to presumably most readers on these forums. With that being said, I really don't know how she got tangled into this religious business in the first place. As a matter of fact I'm not sure what actually happened nor do I understand it. Who the fuck are the high septons?

Cersei Lannister is the queen regent and mother of King Tommen, why the hell is she getting bullied by some overly zealous people? As a matter of fact, why did they capture her in the first place?

I know I can't be the only one bothered by what happened to Cersei... I've would have liked to see her fall from grace due to other "players" in the Game of Thrones and not GRRM plot bs...

I feel someone shouldn't be calling the plot 'BS' if they read the series so sloppily they don't know who the High Septons are in the first place.

Not really. Her downfall was well-seeded and we saw the vines tangle all around her, ready to throttle given a little more rain.

Cersei capriciously murdering her best friend at like age 8 was more of a cop out IMO.

Damn how did you get that username? :bowdown:

The faith is stepping into that huge vaccum South of the Neck left in the wake of the war in which she, Cercei initiated by insestiousley placing her psycho bastard Joff on the throne. She is merely reaping what she sowed.

Cersei is the nymph. She is all fun, in her literal meaning. She is cunning, though lacking wit in her presentation. Her downfall is her own doing. She is the one you read about who had promise and then failed.

If George were fair, she would include some sour thing she has done that plunges the realm into further perilous acts after her demise.

She really set herself up. The Tyrells likely planted small pieces of misinformation through Taena Merryweather. And Pycelle, telling Cercei Margaery was not a virgin was probably not true.

I think Cercei will be crippled by her foot injury in her penance walk. A cut, followed by walking through filth. This will kill her, and it is gross. Perfect.

She really set herself up. The Tyrells likely planted small pieces of misinformation through Taena Merryweather. And Pycelle, telling Cercei Margaery was not a virgin was probably not true.

I think Cercei will be crippled by her foot injury in her penance walk. A cut, followed by walking through filth. This will kill her, and it is gross. Perfect.

I don't think she will be dying anytime soon. Certainly not in TWOW.

Are you familiar with real life history? The High Septon corresponds roughly to the Catholic Pope, and if a monarch came in open conflict with the Pope, they had their work cut out for them.

What? Pope Bonface VIII died imprisoned by Phillip IV of France. Pope Liberiius was exiled,The Byzantines had on more than one occasion assassinated a pope.

Here.

What? Pope Bonface VIII died imprisoned by Phillip IV of France. Pope Liberiius was exiled,The Byzantines had on more than one occasion assassinated a pope.

Here.

I'm at a loss as to what you want to tell me. That confilcts with the church were trivial and nothing to worry about for a medieval monarch because after all, in some cases (quite a few actually) the secular power prevailed? Maybe I've just been unclear: I didn't say everyone going against the church (well, papacy actually, it's rare to take on the pope if you don't have at least some faction in the church behind you) was doomed, I said they had their work cut out for them.

What do Popes arresting people have to do with this?

ASOIAF isn't actually real, GRRM is just making it all up so I hear.

If he wants the a high Septon to arrest Cersei... He can and he will and he has.

People are simply using real life examples to explain things to an OP that decided the whole plot about the relationship between a crown and the church stank of bullshit.

Of course, sloppy reading leads to sloppy questions.

hmmm, I'm not sure about this one. In the early middle ages I think there were papal armies in the regions around the Vatican, but as time went on, and power was consolidated, the pope's only real power against monarchs was excommunication, which was a BIG deal back then. By the time we get to Henry VIII however, it seems like the pope had limited power over monarchs.

Of course there were the Templars, but I'm not sure how much they were controlled by the pope. Could the Pope have used the Templars to arrest and detain a monarch if he wanted? Anyways I'm not too sure of the details, are there any real life examples of a pope doing what the High Septon did to Cersei?

I'm pretty sure that the Templars were there own organization. They were under the umbrella of the Catholic Church, but they kind of did their own thing.

Keep in mind I've read the Cersei chapters only once and at an above average speed compared to presumably most readers on these forums. With that being said, I really don't know how she got tangled into this religious business in the first place.

This is exactly what I felt, admittedly I was reading very fast and I probably skipped over a few things, but it did seem that this High Sparrow appeared out of nowhere and had way too much power than he should.

The other thing that bothered me was how stupid Cersei's actions were, I know she never was very smart but GRRM portrayed her as worse than Jinglebells in aFfC.

Bottom line, her fall from grace was way too fast.

ETA: To be clear I read all the Cersei chapters, but I skipped over some of the Brienne stuff.

Archived