What interests you?

lol thats why kids seam to mature. years just last longer!

Unless I'm mistaken this could be onto something.

If they incorporate the seasons into their taking of the years then is it possible that Westeros years are longer then ours? This would go far to explain how mature some of the boys seem when they're 'only' 13. Obviously this could be explained by them being raised in a much different society to ours as well.

That's how long it takes for our seasons to complete a cycle.

yes but our months are not based upon moon's turns nor are they based on seasons they are that way cuz some Romans thought that they would divide the days up like they are now and that stuck. same with westeros, plus thy probably studied the phases of the sun

Unless I'm mistaken this could be onto something.

If they incorporate the seasons into their taking of the years then is it possible that Westeros years are longer then ours? This would go far to explain how mature some of the boys seem when they're 'only' 13. Obviously this could be explained by them being raised in a much different society to ours as well.

no i think not. Westerosi sesons last few to several years

no i think not. Westerosi sesons last few to several years

True.

Regardless, realistically it seems very unlikely they would have made their year exactly the same as ours at 365 days.

Obviously GRRM has most likely made them the same length to avoid confusion and unneeded complications though.

The reason our earth years take roughly 365 days is that that is how long it takes for the earth to travel around the sun, the seasons are the way they are on earth because they are dictated by how near our side of the earth is to the sun, so its summer here in the UK but in Aus its winter. The length of the seasons is dictated primarily by the distance earth is from the sun, so the seasons on Venus shorter, on Mars longer and on Jupiter longer still.

So presuming Planetos os a planet in a solar system the seasons and years work in the same way. The phases of the moon are because of the moons journey around the earth which takes 29.53 days and this is why we have months they are not exact as we know some are 30 others 31 and then there is February too. What we see as the moons phases iscaused by the position of the moon between earth and the sun as it travels around earth. So the length of a Planetos month is dictated by the distance their moon lies from the planet too.

Except that non of that makes any sense if you take the seasons into account with their seemingly random lengths.

Perhaps we just have to accept the work of fiction set in a fantasy world for what it is. Cos otherwise you'd go batty trying to figuire it all out.

Yeah I know, but it was so immediate ya know? Sword of Mourning to Boros Blount. Just seems like people should have batted an eye at that. I thought it was very telling Ned tells Bran the kingsguard were once the finest knights in the land, but no longer. Maybe this goes without saying but the mythical unicorn of the ASOIAF prequel series would shed some serious light on this.

Robert happened. Remember, two were killed at the Trident and a further three at the Tower of Joy - Robert lacked the wisdom to replace them properly, so we see the whole institution diluted virtually overnight.

Archived