Howland Reeds weapon of choice

Bartimus Stone

It says that the Crannogmen use nets, knives, and frog spears. Meera Reed is taught by her father to fight with these weapons and hunt because, I would assume, of their height (very short) and where they come from (swamps). These are the weapons that they use everyday, so does that mean that Howland Reed used these kind of weapons in Roberts Rebellion or at the Tower of Joy when he "saved" Ned's life from Ser Dayne??? It would seem to me that it would be hard for someone like this to make it through a war or against the great Ser Dayne. How did he save Lord Stark from Ser Dayne??? Any idea's???

Quite easily, actually - by hampering Dayne's movements with the net. We even have a parallel for an unconventional weapon working surprisingly well against a knight - whip. We know from Barristan's PoV that he thinks whip useless against a knight in armour but then is forced to reevaluate as he sees one of the Meereenese boys use it effectively to immobilize his opponent.

I think Arthur Dayne was overpowering Ned and Howland Reed threw a shoe at him.

Then Arthur turned, astonished, and demanded, "Who throws a shoe?? Honestly??"

It was a potato , it is known

To play devil's (and crackpot speculation's) advocate. Dayne could have been completely immobilized by a net, and left to live. I cannot imaging Ned seeing any honor in slaying an honorable foe bound by a net.

We also have examples of the net tightening around it's target as it moved, making it even more difficult to break free. (Re: Meera vs Summer).

Just to point out, we don't know exactly how Howland saved Ned's life. We all assume it was intervening at a crucial moment, but it could have been tending to an otherwise killer wound Ned received or even shouting 'look out behind you!'

But if it was fighting Dayne, I'm with the net brigade, or getting him with a spear from behind in the joints.

Quite easily, actually - by hampering Dayne's movements with the net. We even have a parallel for an unconventional weapon working surprisingly well against a knight - whip. We know from Barristan's PoV that he thinks whip useless against a knight in armour but then is forced to reevaluate as he sees one of the Meereenese boys use it effectively to immobilize his opponent.

That might work, Dayne fought with a greatsword and a net would have seriously hampered that weapon since Dayne would have been restricted from raising it.

You must be new here.

Yea...we all could just avoid the forums until there is actual material out there. Or. We could go on the forum and debate our ideas. Its almost as if the forums are here for that particular purpose......

Weapon of choice? He pulled out his shield to set up for battle, it was the KOTLT emblem, and Dayne was blown away that the mystery knight from the Tourney at Harrenhall was present. "What in the world.." and BOOM, dirk through the throat by honorable Neddard.

I have always thought that Reed warged Dayne and that is what allowed Ned to kill him. As for his fighting style, I think he probably used the same weapons Meera used, since as said he taught her. However, it would bring more to the story if Howland broke all the rules about warging to save his friend and then confinded himself to the Neck as punishment.

Why no one thinks he is a good fighter ? Why it is suppose to be unnatural thing ?

I have always thought that Reed warged Dayne and that is what allowed Ned to kill him. As for his fighting style, I think he probably used the same weapons Meera used, since as said he taught her. However, it would bring more to the story if Howland broke all the rules about warging to save his friend and then confinded himself to the Neck as punishment.

-Skinchange- warg for wolves.

I think reeds short stature makes it seem he shouldn't be good at fighting and also throw in him getting beat up at harrenhall by a couple of squires back in the day and being saved by a girl

Syrio Forel is small too, i don't think it is depend on size.

I belive it was some type of magical interference....otherwise, the very, honorable Ned Stark would have provided the details....Ned likely views magic as a dishonorable method to win a fight/battle. We don't know Ned's views on warging as he wasn't a warg himself.

I belive it was some type of magical interference....otherwise, the very, honorable Ned Stark would have provided the details....Ned likely views magic as a dishonorable method to win a fight/battle. We don't know Ned's views on warging as he wasn't a warg himself.

Netting and spearing a knight in a sword combat would be no more honourable, and it doesn't require any yet unexplained magical abilities.

Archived