Ser Gerold Dayne aka Darkstar: Character Analysis

The Taxman

Man, they better cast this mofo next season. And he better be the best looking guy they have casted since. The main thing Arianne harped on about this guy was his dragon good looks.

lmao old Daario

• 2 weeks later...

First time poster here. . .

It really annoys me that everyone says Darkstar failed or tried to kill a little girl when we have no idea of his intentions. Also, how many times do other posters have to point out that yes, out of context the "I am of the night" line seems corny but that statement follows Myrcella asking him if he is the sword of the morning (aka he is stating that he is the antithesis).

Thread frustrations aside, I think Darkstar will end up being something important.

I really, really, really want Howland Reed to resurface in TWOW so that we can finally get some more information about events a ToJ.

Nice to get that first post out there. . .

It really annoys me that everyone says Darkstar failed or tried to kill a little girl when we have no idea of his intentions. Also, how many times do other posters have to point out that yes, out of context the "I am of the night" line seems corny but that statement follows Myrcella asking him if he is the sword of the morning (aka he is stating that he is the antithesis).

Thread frustrations aside, I think Darkstar will end up being something important.

I really, really, really want Howland Reed to resurface in TWOW so that we can finally get some more information about events a ToJ.

Welcome aboard.

However you will not be fully integrated until you combine your thoughts; I suggest a proposal that Darkstar is Howland Reed, but feel free to work it how you want. The point is that no pots were even threatened in your post, and that's just not pulling your weight.

Welcome aboard.

However you will not be fully integrated until you combine your thoughts; I suggest a proposal that Darkstar is Howland Reed, but feel free to work it how you want. The point is that no pots were even threatened in your post, and that's just not pulling your weight.

Fair enough.

It may have been posted on here somewhere else, but I actually think that Darkstar could be a twin brother of Jon Snow given the R + L = J theory. I know that Ned may have been in love with Ashara Dayne, and he may have just been going to let her know that Arthur was slain, but wouldn't that put him in a bad spot in Starfall?

I propose he was taking Darkstar to Ashara in order for her to care for him but in her grief committed suicide and left Darkstar to be raised by someone else. Thus giving him the Targaryen looks (even though I am aware Daynes have some of these features too).

Lastly, can someone tell me where Dawn currently is? Do we know?

Fair enough.

It may have been posted on here somewhere else, but I actually think that Darkstar could be a twin brother of Jon Snow given the R + L = J theory. I know that Ned may have been in love with Ashara Dayne, and he may have just been going to let her know that Arthur was slain, but wouldn't that put him in a bad spot in Starfall?

I propose he was taking Darkstar to Ashara in order for her to care for him but in her grief committed suicide and left Darkstar to be raised by someone else. Thus giving him the Targaryen looks (even though I am aware Daynes have some of these features too).

Lastly, can someone tell me where Dawn currently is? Do we know?

Is this what a proud parent feels like?

Anyways, kudos. That's the style. I think GRRM is officially on record that DS is late 20's, mostly ruling him out for all the interesting stuff, but I'm never sure how much we believe him.

As far as dawn, the general line of thought seems to follow the 'held in reserve for someone 'deserving' in one of the more Tolkein moments in the series, although many speculate that DS is on his way to liberate the sword from such conventional storage.

I also welcome you here.

I'm fairly new myself, and enjoy having a place where i can post relevant and crack pot thoughts and receive good natured feedback.

I also agree that Darkstar will have a role to play that reveals why there's a continuing story around him.

I hope he does soemthing worthwhile. I mean all jokes aside, in the small amount of page-time he had, they built him up and made him out to be very dangerous.

I just dont want him to disappear and be forgotten about, there has to be a plot he's a part of. whether hes working with varys, or illyrio, or baelish. doesnt even have to be one of those three, but he needs purpose, meaning.

I hope it's a plot, and not just an assassination attempt justto cause trouble between dorne and king's landing.

I hope he does soemthing worthwhile. I mean all jokes aside, in the small amount of page-time he had, they built him up and made him out to be very dangerous.

I just dont want him to disappear and be forgotten about, there has to be a plot he's a part of. whether hes working with varys, or illyrio, or baelish. doesnt even have to be one of those three, but he needs purpose, meaning.

I hope it's a plot, and not just an assassination attempt justto cause trouble between dorne and king's landing.

Well, for starters I think he'll kill Obara. His comment about how any viper that bites him will regret it smacks of foreshadowing that he'll kill her.

With Areo on his tail that means we'll have a POV in Starfall/High Hermitage, too. Maybe the Daynes are sitting on key information. It probably isn't a coincidence that their castle is called Starfall and is located as far south as you can get in Westeros, or that Hermitage is also the name of a meteor, or that their hereditary sword is called Dawn and is made of some celestial material, or that there is a constellation named after the Sword of Morning. It all points to the Daynes having been extremely important thousands of years ago, and if history repeats itself, they'll probably be important again.

Well, for starters I think he'll kill Obara. His comment about how any viper that bites him will regret it smacks of foreshadowing that he'll kill her.

With Areo on his tail that means we'll have a POV in Starfall/High Hermitage, too. Maybe the Daynes are sitting on key information. It probably isn't a coincidence that their castle is called Starfall and is located as far south as you can get in Westeros, or that Hermitage is also the name of a meteor, or that their hereditary sword is called Dawn and is made of some celestial material, or that there is a constellation named after the Sword of Morning. It all points to the Daynes having been extremely important thousands of years ago, and if history repeats itself, they'll probably be important again.

I dont know much about te history of the Dayne's, with the exception of Ser Gerold, and of course the third-word-of-mouth for Arthur and the ToJ conspiracy. The only other Dayne lore i can think of is the alleged affair/beauty with Ashara as well.

I'm just hoping Ser Gerold does soemthing big. It's apparent there's a hatred there, a jealousy, between him and Arthur.

• 2 weeks later...

If we are going to read into single lines as dogma then this one from the Arianne chapter in TWOW should be noted:

If Myrcella’s horse had not shied at the last instant, his longsword would have opened her from chest to waist instead just taking off her ear.

So there's far more evidence that Darkstar was simply UNABLE to kill Myrcella than that he held his sword.

If we are going to read into single lines as dogma then this one from the Arianne chapter in TWOW should be noted:

If Myrcella’s horse had not shied at the last instant, his longsword would have opened her from chest to waist instead just taking off her ear.

So there's far more evidence that Darkstar was simply UNABLE to kill Myrcella than that he held his sword.

It runs parallel with Oberyn's death to be quite frank. Oberyn actually died because he tried to kill The Mountain with his own sword and in the last instant, the Mountain reacted and shied away by tripping Oberyn.

I don't know why people dislike Darkstar so much.

Yeah, aside from "he tried to kill a little girl" (and in ASOIF it's like a baptism), I don't get why people think the name is lame, or why the line is lame.

"Darkstar" is a pretty badass name, imho. It has a nice ring to it and can perfectly fit a villainous character in a medieval setting.

I get why the "I am of the night" line can make some people laugh, but it's not like he said "I AM the night" (only Batman can do that). I think he's trying to enstablish that he is Arthur Dayne's polar opposite, and that he is infamous in Dorne when Myrcella talks about the sword of the morning.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'd get to discover that he lived in the shadow of his cousin all of his life and that influenced him in the man he is today.

Which is a huge dick btw.

It runs parallel with Oberyn's death to be quite frank. Oberyn actually died because he tried to kill The Mountain with his own sword and in the last instant, the Mountain reacted and shied away by tripping Oberyn.

Ok? Not sure what you're trying to add.

Archived