Oops , Got that wrong T.V !

TheBadboy

I don't understand the criticism of Stannis. He translates to the screen almost exactly like he's described in the books. I think people are just mad they threw in a sex scene (one that was suggested to have happened in the books anyway.)

I guess the book version comes across as more austere and reserved to me, while the TV version seems more needy and clingy. Both are dependent on Melisandre to a large extent but TV Stannis seems more over the top to me. For instance, I don't see book Stannis aggressively groping and fondling Melisandre (or anyone else) in public like that. The sex scene wasn't problematic but that other scene was because it felt like Stannis was allowing himself to lose control and look weak and foolish in front of other people and the book Stannis goes out of his way to conceal those things from everyone. That aspect just feels off, even though there are aspects of Stannis's TV portrayal (like his relationship with his daughter) that I appreciated and enjoyed.

I guess the book version comes across as more austere and reserved to me, while the TV version seems more needy and clingy. Both are dependent on Melisandre to a large extent but TV Stannis seems more over the top to me. For instance, I don't see book Stannis aggressively groping and fondling Melisandre (or anyone else) in public like that. The sex scene wasn't problematic but that other scene was because it felt like Stannis was allowing himself to lose control and look weak and foolish in front of other people and the book Stannis goes out of his way to conceal those things from everyone. That aspect just feels off, even though there are aspects of Stannis's TV portrayal (like his relationship with his daughter) that I appreciated and enjoyed.

Get rid of that beach scene (and its easy since it didn't happen in the books) and the portrayal isn't bad. I always envisioned Stannis as the bitter, angry man like on the show. Perhaps a little over the top, but that's the actor, not the writing.

And Emilia Clarke does this thing where her eyebrows kind of move like worms. Anybody else notice that?

Oh yes I noticed that too, even my roomate, who doesn't watch GOT, saw the scene where she is trying to convince the Spice King to give her ships and asked me why was she moving her eyebrows so much. She thought it was distracting

Oh yes I noticed that too, even my roomate, who doesn't watch GOT, saw the scene where she is trying to convince the Spice King to give her ships and asked me why was she moving her eyebrows so much. She thought it was distracting

I actually enjoyed that scene because it showed not only how naive she is, but also Emilia does a good job of showing how Dany is trying to be someone she isn't, a ruthless conqueror... although some might just call that bad acting. I don't.

Get rid of that beach scene (and its easy since it didn't happen in the books) and the portrayal isn't bad. I always envisioned Stannis as the bitter, angry man like on the show. Perhaps a little over the top, but that's the actor, not the writing.

Fair enough, but I feel like that scene still weakens the portrayal for me even thought here are some redemptive actions. Stannis might be bitter or angry but he always tries to remain calm and collected when around other people. He might sleep with Melisandre but he isn't going to parade that around to everyone in view or go into a meltdown when she takes a day trip. That's not really the actor's fault since he (presumably) didn't write the dialogue or the stage directions.

I like the majority of the casting in GoT, but do not like the way they have portrayed the Hound and Asha/Yara

I think the casting for Yara/Asha is just wrong. She's too sedated in the show and it's affected how her character comes across. Asha in the books always seems to have a lot of energy and charisma surrounding her. The writing of her charcters just seems to take a lot of this away and turn her into a more mediocre person without the ruthlessness and her cunning attitude. This might be just because she isnt seen as much in the series so far and there may be more for her character yet but with the way its going the show is turning one of my favourite characters into one that bores the hell out of me.

The TV adaptation of the hound is a poorer version of the book. They haven't allowed for the development of his characters and instead have just kept his role more to the bodyguard. The ruthlessness isnt really there, instead he is more of a man who follows the command of Cersie and Joffery through nessessarity rather than enjoyment. All the influencial scenes with Sansa are not there, when they developed both the characters. I just dont think the wiriting was right for this character considering the things that they could have done with him.

I gotta say though, I think they got Davos Seaworth down quite well.

I think he is far too assertive compared to his book counterpart. Where book-Davos always trode carefully around sensitive issues, show-Davos plunges right into them, demanding Stannis do this and that in a fairly aggressive voice. That whole "You are not an evil man!" speech really brought that to my attention.

I don't understand the criticism of Stannis. He translates to the screen almost exactly like he's described in the books. I think people are just mad they threw in a sex scene (one that was suggested to have happened in the books anyway.)

Hardly.

The burnings? In the books he only burnt Alester Florent, and that was for trying to force a peace he didn't want, as well as selling Shireen off to the Lannisters. On the show he was burning anyone that spoke against Melisandre.

The first encounter with Davos? In the books he smiled and actually told Davos how he had missed him and his counsel, but on the show he barely spared a glance before acting like a cold bastard.

His relationship with Mel? In the show he's incredibly needy and, in David's words, ''impotent'' when it comes to the red woman. In the books he would never grope her in public, and nor was he so dependant on her.

His decision with Edric? In the books he waited until all three kings had died and until he had been convinced of the necessity of the sacrifice, he also threatened Mel with a painful death should be deceiving him, and he was the one to think up the leeches as a form of trial. On the show he immediately accepted Mel's decision to kill the boy, before having Davos convince him of the leech trial, before once again becoming dead set on the sacrifice after a single death.

I like the series but I am not the biggest fan, largely because I dislike anything that takes on such a large adaptation project. I know they can't include everything, and therefore I am disappointed.

Anyway, the cast I think are quite good. Arya I would probably have kept her as the same actress but with more dirty and masculine make-up. She is in a pretty sorry state by aCoK, and even in aGoT she is always quite....messy.

The biggest let down for me was Dany is Quarth. I watched and thought: say what?! Especially upset about Doreah, I liked her in the book

I have been disappointed with the "script" in that certain characters do not have their distinctive "language" associations. Tormund has not uttered one "Argh!" - nor boasted. Ygritte does not oft say "You know nothing, Jon Snow!" All those little things in dialogue are ways to draw characterization - which the television presentation sadly omits. The sense of humor so part of Mance Rayder and Tormund is lost as well. The direwolves have also been ill-done.

I like the majority of the casting in GoT, but do not like the way they have portrayed the Hound and Asha/Yara

I think the casting for Yara/Asha is just wrong. She's too sedated in the show and it's affected how her character comes across. Asha in the books always seems to have a lot of energy and charisma surrounding her. The writing of her charcters just seems to take a lot of this away and turn her into a more mediocre person without the ruthlessness and her cunning attitude. This might be just because she isnt seen as much in the series so far and there may be more for her character yet but with the way its going the show is turning one of my favourite characters into one that bores the hell out of me.

The TV adaptation of the hound is a poorer version of the book. They haven't allowed for the development of his characters and instead have just kept his role more to the bodyguard. The ruthlessness isnt really there, instead he is more of a man who follows the command of Cersie and Joffery through nessessarity rather than enjoyment. All the influencial scenes with Sansa are not there, when they developed both the characters. I just dont think the wiriting was right for this character considering the things that they could have done with him.

I think Lean Headey could have played Asha (maybe if she was a little younger). I agree about the Hound. They should have cast a younger actor who would play him full of hatred who spits his words out like a snake. The Hound on the tv show looks bored and going through a midlife crisis.

Lena Headey's portrayal of Cersei doesn't fit my image of Cersei from the books. Lena exhibits more vulnerability and less fierce pride than what I'd expect from Cersei..

I think that has to with how they've written Cersei in the show,she is a bit too smart in it.

Is this for real?

I have not counted - but she and Jon do not have the lively yet heated discussions demonstrating how far apart they are in their beliefs and values as they do in the book, Ygritte punctuating these discussions in her sing song way. I felt their relationship development was lax due to all the wildlings who were introduced to this third season. I understand the scope and dimensions of the source material and why the focus needed to be on Tormund, Mance, Orell, etc. The location shoots for the North are breathtaking as well, and we need to see the land beyond the Wall vividly, along with the giants and other fabled creatures rumored to be part of the population. It must be frustrating to have such rich source material that has to be streamlined for a television venue. I also was baffled by Ghost's absence - and I missed Jon telling Ghost to find his own way back to Castle Black. But I guess there are expenses involved with CGI and green screen shots, and even more expense to bring in trained animals. Come to think of it, Mormont's raven disappeared as well. Mormont's bird was not even at Craster's. I imagine trained birds are costly as well.

Mark Addy was shit as Robert.

At no point. Not even for one second did it seem like Robert had been a legendary warrior and commander. Rhaegar would have kicked that Bob's arse big time.

That was sort of the point,He didn't seem like the warrior he once was,That said they could have picked someone taller and a bit more muscular.

Addy isn't even 180cm I think,while Bob was supposed to be about 200cm tall.

That was sort of the point,He didn't seem like the warrior he once was,That said they could have picked someone taller and a bit more muscular.

Addy isn't even 180cm I think,while Bob was supposed to be about 200cm tall.

But he didn't even look like he could have been EVER. That was my problem with it. Far too small. I look more like gone to seed Bob!

I think Lean Headey could have played Asha (maybe if she was a little younger). I agree about the Hound. They should have cast a younger actor who would play him full of hatred who spits his words out like a snake. The Hound on the tv show looks bored and going through a midlife crisis.

Any complaints you have for how Rory McCann plays The Hound has to be down to script and/or directing, just look at his audition he shows exactly that type of hatred you're talking about, I think he's pretty much perfect for the part they just haven't taken advantage of it in my opinion.

Archived