Tyrion's parentage

KMLeB

Robert, Ned and Jaime, even Jon Arryn. All had a claim to the IT when Aerys was dead. That means they have some drops of Targ blood. We know Robert's grandma was a Targ. About Ned we are not sure. We know that Targaryens used to marry some Arryns in the past so that may be the case for Jon Arryn. For Jaime, I think an ancestry through Viserys Plumm (who is most probably the son of Eleana Targaryen and possibly Aegon IV) sounds plausible.

In short, I think the Lannisters have some Targ blood through Plumm ancestry. Other than that, I gave up A+J theories a while ago.

No, it just means they were on the winning side. Jamie's recollection of Crakehall and some other knight asking him who should be king basically told us it could have been him or Tywin too. Ned didn't want to be king. He didn't even want to be Lord of Winterfell. There was an Arryn married to Viserys I, but her children were Targaryens, not Arryns. Robert was the only one with any Targaryen blood. Even after the sack of KL, his claim was no better than fourth (if you assume Aegon didn't die). The rebels had right of conquest. Tywin refers to it when Cersei asks "by what right does he (balon) call himself king?" ... "By right of conquest"

Renly goes on at length.

“Renly shrugged. “Tell me, what right did my brother Robert ever have to the Iron Throne?” He did not wait for an answer. “Oh, there was talk of the blood ties between Baratheon and Targaryen, of weddings a hundred years past, of second sons and elder daughters. No one but the maesters care about any of it. Robert won the throne with his warhammer.”

Back on topic, the idea of Tyrion being a Targaryen is dumb and ruins every familial relationship Tyrion has.

Skipping the "dumb" comment because it's not remotely worthy of refutation.

It changes the relationships but does not ruin all of them. He is still a Lannister regardless because of his mother. Tywin should have loved him for Joanna's sake if for no other reason--a last link to his beloved wife.

...and...having Targaryen blood does not necessarily mean Tywin was not his father. Other theories have been proposed.

Tywin being his father pretty much precludes that, unless you think someone other than Joanna is his mother, a notion that doesn't even border on crackpot. Tywin cheating on the only person who makes him smiler seems even more absurd.

Tywin being his father pretty much precludes that, unless you think someone other than Joanna is his mother, a notion that doesn't even border on crackpot. Tywin cheating on the only person who makes him smiler seems even more absurd.

That theory involves Targ blood somewhere in the Lannister background (Tywin's mother, Joanna's mother, somebody's grandparent). The Plumm family, for instance, claims Targaryen descent.

I still like the chimera theory best.

• 1 month later...

I think this Targaryen thing is nonsense. I want a theory that explains BLACK hair and a BLACK eye, since that is what we are told repeatedly that Tyrion has. T=T doesn't explain the major question about Tyrion's genetics, which is "where did the black come from?" I don't believe the dark purple. If GRRM meant dark purple, he would have said dark purple. And the dark purple eye doesn't do anything to explain the black hair.

I don't actually have a theory, but I believe something will explain these features of Tyrion's and the T=T theory has no explanatory power vis-a-vis Tyrion's anomalistic appearance. I might even buy the chimera theory if it there was a black eye & hair father in there, instead of Aerys.

I think the better dynamic would be if Jaime was Aery's son, and Tyrion was Tywin's. It would explain Tyrion's wits compared to Jaime's, and it would possibly explain incest at such a young age between Jaime and Cersei. Plus, they would be brothers who each killed their own respective fathers by blood. There are little hints for both of them so who knows, they could just be red herrings or misinterpretations at the same time. I lean towards Jaime not being Tywins over Tyrion though.

As stated in ADWD :"Dragons," Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros... "Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

This leads me to believe that Tyrion is somehow involved with the Targaryens whether it be by his parentage or him swearing fealty to Dany. He is very intelligent, so I think he could easily create a plan for Daenerys and orchestrate how she will invade Westeros.

I always considered the T=T theory as a crackpot,but after re-reading AGOT I have some doubts

"Tyrion always had a morbid fascination with dragons."

"I used to start fires in the bowels of Casterly Rock and stare at the flames for hours,pretending they were dragonfire."

There other similar passages I don't remember by heart...Sounds like Tyrion has some Targaryen behavior :dunno:

We already know his parents. He's not Jon Snow where there is doubt and mystery.

You said it. I don't see Tywin keeping Tyrion around unless he absolutely has to...if he wasn't his full-bloodied child and a full-bloodied Lannister, he would have offed him or got rid of him long ago.

You are new here, so I'll be gentle. This theory is a well known one and is widely detested. I hate it with every fibre of my being. It ruins the father-son dynamic between Tywin and Tyrion and why the hell would Tywin continue to serve Aerys if he'd been banging his wife?

Tywin may have suspected something, but not have been able to prove anything to his own satisfaction. Thus he keeps accusing Tyrion of being, "no son of mine" Still Tywin has doubts though.

Cersei is practically turning into Aerys in AFFC. If any of the Lannisters are really his children, it's the twins. Tyrion is by far the most Lannister like out of the three of them.

:agree:

I don't actually have a theory, but I believe something will explain these features of Tyrion's and the T=T theory has no explanatory power vis-a-vis Tyrion's anomalistic appearance. I might even buy the chimera theory if it there was a black eye & hair father in there, instead of Aerys.

Maybe Joanna had a fling with Steffon Baratheon. Or Robert, when he was quite young. If Oberyn could sire a child at the age of twelve, why not Good King Bob? Though actually the Martell blood in the background (Plumm possibly on Joanna's and/or Tywin's) could be where that's from.

Tywin named Tyrion "Tyrion" with the Ty combo because Tyrion is Tywin's only legitimate son. THERE I SAID IT :dunce:

Do you mean that Tywin knows Jaime and Cersei aren't his? Because I really don't see him favoring the twins if that's the case.

Maybe Joanna had a fling with Steffon Baratheon. Or Robert, when he was quite young. If Oberyn could sire a child at the age of twelve, why not Good King Bob? Though actually the Martell blood in the background (Plumm possibly on Joanna's and/or Tywin's) could be where that's from.

Do you mean that Tywin knows Jaime and Cersei aren't his? Because I really don't see him favoring the twins if that's the case.

Plumms have nothing to do with Martells BTW. Not sure what you were trying to say there. Plumms are Lannister bannermen.

As for Tyrion's STREAK of black hair, try to remember his hair is actually mostly very light blonde. He has a streak, just as many Targs, historically, had streaks.

If he has interesting ancestry other than Targ....what about being the product of an Ironborn raid or rebellion? Maybe his father is Euron.

Archived