The Mountain recast!

Steinnis

Probably. Name the scene he was in.

His websites said that for ages. It's quite possible he had no idea what of the three films he'd be in, since PJ is making most of this up as he goes along. In that case it wouldn't be unreasonable at all for him to not know which of the three he'd be in and list himself being in all three. I can make a website saying I was in the Godfather. Doesn't mean I was.

Have you seen the picture of him as Bolg? That's been leaked for a few years now and no one knew which film he'd be in. There's no one even in AUJ that looks like Bolg.

Probably. Name the scene he was in.

His websites said that for ages. It's quite possible he had no idea what of the three films he'd be in, since PJ is making most of this up as he goes along. In that case it wouldn't be unreasonable at all for him to not know which of the three he'd be in and list himself being in all three. I can make a website saying I was in the Godfather. Doesn't mean I was.

Have you seen the picture of him as Bolg? That's been leaked for a few years now and no one knew which film he'd be in. There's no one even in AUJ that looks like Bolg.

The website has three films, and I think he would know the chronology of the movies he filmed ... You making a website saying you were the Godfather and Conan Stevens himself making/commissioning a personal website have no comparison (because he is a professional actor, and you would be some guy doing it for whatever reason). .. But whatever you say man.

Here I found it for you and stand corrected.

Bolg appears briefly in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey during the Battle of Azanulbizar, fighting Dwalin and seemingly being wounded by him, and is also set to appear in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

http://elmatpe.tumbl...-of-azog-in-the

He was a battle extra for a brief second mixed in with thousands of other orcs. So there really wasn't a reason to remember him...he was never introduced to anyone to begin with. Someone had to do a frame by frame of the dvd to find him.

Bolg appears briefly in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey during the Battle of Azanulbizar, fighting Dwalin and seemingly being wounded by him, and is also set to appear in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

He was a battle extra for a brief second mixed in with thousands of other orcs. So there really wasn't a reason to remember him...he was never introduced to anyone to begin with. Someone had to do a frame by frame of the dvd to find him.

Hey, I caught him the first time I watched it :)

Everyone's a faceless man.

I think Nina Gold Casting is a Sorrowful Man, as in: "I'm so sorry" before they recast a great villain twice.

That said, I did NOT like Ian Whyte. Mountain needs to be broader, IMO. Thor is imposing. As for dialogue, all the duel dialogue is behind the Mountain's mask - easily re-dubbed if it's a problem.

I am quite impressed. Usually in an internet argument/debate, people are unreasonable. I applaud you, good sir.

Also, I honestly don't think he'll be given a larger role anyway, because Azog has absolutely taken over his role in the book, and has been set up as the trilogy's antagonist (the place originally held by Bolg).

I had thought I'd read somewhere (long ago) that he is the later antagonist in the series. This was prior to AUJ though so I think people assumed Azog would be one and done and Bolg would follow up pursuing the dwarves. I'd much rather have Bolg than the albino Jar-Jar Azog...but we'll see.

Would definitely suck if Conan dropped a role where you could at least see his face for a role where you can only spot him doing scene by scene replays.

I had thought I'd read somewhere (long ago) that he is the later antagonist in the series. This was prior to AUJ though so I think people assumed Azog would be one and done and Bolg would follow up pursuing the dwarves. I'd much rather have Bolg than the albino Jar-Jar Azog...but we'll see.

Would definitely suck if Conan dropped a role where you could at least see his face for a role where you can only spot him doing scene by scene replays.

I just don't know where in the story they could jam him down, now that Azog has been marketed as the antagonist. He might take a role of a Goblin commander, but he'll have a minor role at best. Azog has been memorable (if for nothing else, then for his design), and Bolg was nowhere to be seen. Also, now Bolg has no backstory now because his was transfered to Azog and modified. So, they'd have to come up with something new, and I don't think they will bother much with that.

As I said, I understand why he left the show. He left Game of Thrones when the first season was done filming. He never knew what success it would become. To him it was just another first season of a TV show. Hobbit on the other hand, was a guaranteed Box office and commerical success. He just went for the one he thought would benefit him more as an actor.

I like this casting. A lot. It looks like he has the physical presence that Ian Whyte doesn't. As someone already mentioned, Gregor is more of a prop than an actual character... as long as he looks like a menacing hulk in his armour and has an aggressive yell, he'll do fine.

As for the whinging that he's much younger than Rory, well, anything is possible with prosthetic makeup and CGI. I highly doubt Gregor's going to prance out with a baby face.

Makeup + helmet will do wonders to disguise the guy's age. Remember the hissy fits some people threw over the casting of Lena as Cersei? "Lena's a brunette! She can't play a blonde Cersei!" And GRRM summed it up nicely: "This is HBO, guys. They know about makeup and wigs and stuff."

Also, Peter Dinklage is older than Nikolaj or Lena, for what it's worth.

He's got a scar and grizzled beard now:

http://wicnet.tumblr.com/post/60777192058/thorbjornsson-scarface-got-gameofthrones

I'm pleased with this new guy - he's a beast of a man but height/muscle build isn't everything. Look at the Xmen movies, Tyler Mane and Liev Schreiber both played Sabretooth. Mane was the more imposing guy but I'd take Schreiber everytime because his Sabretooth performance was awesome.

Amen, I absolutely loved Shreiber's Sabretooth.

Conan said himself on his blog that he was not asked back after season 1. IIRC he said at another point that his involvement with the Hobbit would not have interfered with working on GoT.

So Conan did not leave GoT, he wanted to come back. HBO just didn't ask him back for some reason.

I really enjoyed working on the first season of Game of Thrones, it was such a journey to get there from having the original fan email suggesting I try to get noticed for the then rumoured pilot episode. The role of Gregor Clegane seemed almost custom built for me. Making it onto the GoT set was exactly like a 24 year old dream coming true.

I had a great time working on GoT season 01 and the response from viewers to my character and portrayal seemed very positive. I was looking forward to being able to reprise the role for season 02, but it seems like HBO decided to go in a different direction for the 2nd season and I will not be playing Ser Gregor this time around which is a pity.

Of course, if I were asked to appear in season 03 I would be very excited to do so.

And if I remember correctly I still have to have that drink with Rory McCann.

P.S. I wish Ian Whyte all the best in this role, the more big guys known to be working in movies, then the more roles that will be written for us - meaning more work for all of us.

-Conan Stevens, March 16, 2012

Archived