Why the Daario Naharis hate?

Victarion10

In all seriousness, I don't really hate Daario. He is proven in combat, he has swag and he has been loyal to Dany. My only problem, was that it was just a boring read and far to much time was spent on he and Dany. That's just my opinion. The story just bogged down, during that time period.

So far as I can tell Daario and Jorah like Dany because "she's hot" I don't see anything wrong with Dany doing it too

Daario also likes Dany because she is a queen and a Dragonlady. How often would someone like him, a lowly sellsword, get the opportunity to bed someone like her.

He seems like a massive problem to Dany's fortunes. And I'm not a Dany hater, so I want her to do well. He seems like a male Shae. But that's just worst case scenario. Even if he's loyal, he'll become a big problem if Dany makes a useful long term match for political power.

Daario also likes Dany because she is a queen and a Dragonlady. How often would someone like him, a lowly sellsword, get the opportunity to bed someone like her.

I somehow doubt Daario would treat her the same way if she was not attractive, he's really not getting much out of the deal besides a cool story to tell about scoring with a queen.

I think the reason why women hate Daario is not because of Daario himself, but because of how Dany acts around him. It reminds us all about the shallow, selfish phase of life we all went through as 16 year old girls, and it's embarrassing to look back and realize we acted exactly like her.

When I was 17, I stole my mother's car to meet up with a pretty boy at 4am, and when my mother grounded me and took away my car keys, I stomped and shrieked and screamed about how my "life was totally OVER!" lol. Reading the Dany and Daario chapters just makes me cringe reminding me of that time and how ridiculous I was.

No offense to any 16 year old girls that might be reading this.. it is an important growing time in your life, and I enjoyed every age I've been, it's just that when you reach your 30's, your perspective has completely changed. You realize that the Daarios in your world weren't all that important after all.

I think the reason why women hate Daario is not because of Daario himself, but because of how Dany acts around him. It reminds us all about the shallow, selfish phase of life we all went through as 16 year old girls, and it's embarrassing to look back and realize we acted exactly like her.

GRRM should be applauded for writing teenage girls so accurately then.

Wise words. :blushing:

I like him. He sounds hot (long, lithe, pale with blue eyes), he's dangerous without being rapey (as far as I remember, haven't read the books in ages) and he keeps telling Dany to be a queen and take a hard stand. Plus he's turned on by how powerful Dany is and doesn't try to isolate her from other people unlike Nice Guy Jorah.

As to women hating him because he reminds us of our swoony ages, I dunno-nobody hates Jeyne W. for a similar reason do they?

Plus, if I have to read pages and pages of Tyrion salivating over Shae, y'all can grin and bear it while Dany and I coo over Daario.

GRRM should be applauded for writing teenage girls so accurately then.

Yes... I've often marveled at his ability to write female characters and young children so accurately. Its one of the things I love most about these books; seeing things through Arya's eyes, or Brans, or Dany's or Catelyn's.. I've never been a mother, but I can feel Catelyn's pain and desperation as she pleads for Lord Walder to let Robb go during the RW.

Dany is a queen, but most 16 year old girls are idealistic and want to fall in love and begin to experience a powerful sexual awakening as well. He was right to include Daario, if Dany didn't want to explore these feelings, the character wouldn't feel real. She really didn't choose Khal Drogo, and while she eventually enjoyed her sexual encounters with him, the relationship was based more on need than love, I believe. In my opinion, Dany misinterpreted a need for security, and a want of status for love for her 'sun and stars'. With Daario, she has more power, and the power to choose him or discard him as she likes. Plus, they speak the same language, and he actively flirted and flattered her - bringing her flowers, etc. What 16 year old girl could resist?

Yes... I've often marveled at his ability to write female characters and young children so accurately. Its one of the things I love most about these books; seeing things through Arya's eyes, or Brans, or Dany's or Catelyn's.. I've never been a mother, but I can feel Catelyn's pain and desperation as she pleads for Lord Walder to let Robb go during the RW.

Dany is a queen, but most 16 year old girls are idealistic and want to fall in love and begin to experience a powerful sexual awakening as well. He was right to include Daario, if Dany didn't want to explore these feelings, the character wouldn't feel real. She really didn't choose Khal Drogo, and while she eventually enjoyed her sexual encounters with him, the relationship was based more on need than love, I believe. In my opinion, Dany misinterpreted a need for security, and a want of status for love for her 'sun and stars'. With Daario, she has more power, and the power to choose him or discard him as she likes. Plus, they speak the same language, and he actively flirted and flattered her - bringing her flowers, etc. What 16 year old girl could resist?

And it's not like she picked him over her duty, unlike one boy king I could name.

Archived