I think Cersei will lose her trial by combat.

Northernmonkey

Robert Strong is obviously going to kick the crap out of the Faith's champion(Theodan Wells?) but I think something is going to go terribly wrong during the trial. Robert Strong is obviously Frankengregor, there has to be some tell tale sign that he isn't right. So just imagine Robert Strong losing his helmet at the trial, he is either a headless zombie(like the stone giant in Bran's first dream) or he is rotting and his face is grotesque.

chaos ensues, people screaming and running away from the monster, the High Sparrow accusing Cersei of being a witch(another parallel to greek myth Circe.)

Yes, this or something like it seems the most likely. It seems unlikely either Mace or the High Sparrow will accept the verdict. The other possibility, but much less likely, is the use of some sort of magic to counter Robert Strong. Perhaps a relic of the Seven will be used. This would require the Seven to actually have some sort of power though, which has yet to be the case in the series.

In a straight up fight there just isn't a warrior alive who can take on this monster. The entire garrison at KL may have trouble putting it down, if it goes that way. Maybe Cersei can escape in the chaos, with Quburn's help. As Tyrion showed, it's possible to lose and still escape alive.

It's really Mace in charge that makes her in a bad spot. If he died, that might make things better for her, as she is now out of the High Sparrow's immediate grasp.

I think the joke here will be, Cersei who is actually guilty will win her trial by combat, while Margaery who is actually innocent will lose her trial by the Faith. Something big needs to happen to upend the Tyrells' power, and that would do it.

Exactly, it's either Varys or Littlefinger who'll make sure Marge lose by supplying the evidence of PW. They prefer Cersei on IT cause it's easier to take her down compare to Tyrell

Why are some insisting UnGregor can't be beat? For all intents and purposes, the Red Viper had him beat. It was only through carelessness that UnGregor wasn't killed in that fight. There are plenty of people alive who can do exactly what Red Viper did, though probably not with a spear.

Garlan is the first name to come to mind out of people currently living. Jaime could have done it before his sword hand was lost and Barristan could probably still do it.

Why are some insisting UnGregor can't be beat? For all intents and purposes, the Red Viper had him beat. It was only through carelessness that UnGregor wasn't killed in that fight. There are plenty of people alive who can do exactly what Red Viper did, though probably not with a spear.

Garlan is the first name to come to mind out of people currently living. Jaime could have done it before his sword hand was lost and Barristan could probably still do it.

Gregor "lost" to Oberyn because in the end he was still a man who could be felled by a spear blow. Ungregor is a different beast who doesn't need to shit, eat or piss. Something tells me a spear to the gut won't do the trick anymore.

Well speaking for myself, I believe Robert Strong is more flesh golem than zombie. More Frankenstein than nameless minion off the Walking Dead. And Martin seems of to approach things as realistically as possible in fantasy. Even the greatest warriors can't for example face a dragon in single combat. I'm guessing that not even ten Hounds or Jaimes could take this thing. It is true, and I could be completely wrong. Perhaps the magic binding it is weak and Quyburn is an idiot fraud. That would fit with all of Cersei's other blunders. Gregor being the corpse in question may have an effect in that it's a huge body, or it may not matter at all.

:agree:

I see a plot twist in Robert Strong, possibly he's accidentally killing some important onlooker, possibly he get's revealed but she's not going to loose that battle. If you remember the prophecy of Maggy the Frog, Cersei will be cast down by "another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear". The second part of the prophecy, "...Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you" is read by many as indicating that her kids will die before her and both Myrcella and Tommen are still alive. (Personally, I do not think that it necessarily requires all children to die before her, it just says that, when the children die, their shrouds will be gold. They might as well die old, Tommen as king or Lord of Casterly Rock and Myrcella as wife of some important [possibly Essos] lord or as queen [if Tommen does not become king]. Cersei's tears may well be the tears shed over Joffrey.)

Robert Strong is obviously going to kick the crap out of the Faith's champion(Theodan Wells?) but I think something is going to go terribly wrong during the trial. Robert Strong is obviously Frankengregor, there has to be some tell tale sign that he isn't right. So just imagine Robert Strong losing his helmet at the trial, he is either a headless zombie(like the stone giant in Bran's first dream) or he is rotting and his face is grotesque.

chaos ensues, people screaming and running away from the monster, the High Sparrow accusing Cersei of being a witch(another parallel to greek myth Circe.)

Well, this being GRRM a plot twist of some sort is definitely the order of the day. The idea of unGregor going berserk is fairly likely, in that he already killed that hapless stableboy during the Tyrion trial. And that's while he was alive and had a head! Qyburn may indeed have built an unbeatable hero; that's no guarantee that he can actually control his creation.

There are dozens of other plot twists you can come up with.

-The HS could simply insist that Cersei's champion remove his helmet and reveal his identity, and disqualify him either if he didn't or if he appeared to be the result of some dark sorcery.

-Or how about Jaime shows up and declares that UnGregor isn't a member of the Kingsguard until he, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, says he is? Then he, as the LC, insists on choosing who the champion will be: "Boros Blount, you're on."

-Or Jaime could even choose to champion her himself, leading Cersei to opt for an evidence-based trial which she would lose.

I think the joke here will be, Cersei who is actually guilty will win her trial by combat, while Margaery who is actually innocent will lose her trial by the Faith. Something big needs to happen to upend the Tyrells' power, and that would do it.

It's just as likely that GRRM would pull the bait-and-switch and make the formula something like: Gregor already 'won' one trial in which he was the champion for the wrong side. This time he loses. IOW, the balance of Karma might rest on the champions rather than the accused.

I agree that Cersei will win her trial by combat. The HS will inform Cersei that Lancel will be the Faith's champion if she calls for a trial by combat; thinking that Cersei would forgo a trial by combat to avoid harm to her kin and former lover, but proves that he doesn't know Cersei who will hide the fact she is happy that Lancel is named the champion as she wanted to get her revenge on Lancel for fibbing. As for Margaery, the HS admitted that the case against her is weak, and I think she might win a regular trial. I see Cersei using Margaery later as a hostage to both ensure the Tyrells' loyalty and to keep herself in the dominant role.

Well based on Maggy's prophecy she'll die after all of her kids gone and will be killed by a valonqar, this doesn't suit if she loses her trial.

And i'd really want to read her trying (badly) to take down Mace

He is right, also with the pov problem cercei will not die...

Above and beyond whether it would be an interesting development if Margaery lost her trial, it is very difficult to conceive of a plausible scenario in which that could happen because of the dynamics in play. Almost everyone in King's Landing has an incentive to see that Margaery be found innocent. A list which includes the High Septon.

The notable exceptions to the above are Cersei and Varys. The latter might even want to assassinate Margaery since she is the sole link tying the Lannisters and Tyrells together. But even assuming, for purposes of this discussion, that Varys is capable of pulling that off, there is no telling whether the Tyrells might no try assume the throne for themselves at that point -- especially if the Martells end up aligning with Aegon.

Then it becomes a question of whether Varys might find that scenario preferable to one in which he keeps the Lannisters and Tyrells locked in a mutually destructive marriage.

And for those that have read the Arianne chapters that have been released from The Winds of Winter:

How do we reconcile Margaery losing her trial with the Tyrells sending their armies to siege Storm's End once again?

I agree, and am eagerly awaiting the shitstorm that will follow if the Faith actually has her killed. Mace and his armies will go balls out crazy- it's gonna be entertaining!

I think that's one point:

Well based on Maggy's prophecy she'll die after all of her kids gone and will be killed by a valonqar, this doesn't suit if she loses her trial.

that's another:

Not that i actually believe this, since Cersei is the only POV in KL right now.

and she is still backed by Varys, to inflame the chaos between the Lannisters and Tyrells.

I think her story is far from over.

I see her killed by Jaime or Tyrion, but Jaime would be just too nice.

Cersei could get sent to a nunnery. A classic punishment and her worst nightmare.

I don't think the Faith can kill Margaery even if they want to. She's in the Red Keep, not in their power like Cersei was. Even with their massive peasant army they couldn't overcome Tyrell's huge professional army. It'd be a horrid scene though and one Mace would want to avoid. But he probaly wouldn't care if his daughter's life was on the line. The big threat the faith has is causing disorder for those in power if they don't toe the line somewhat. Even with Cerseie's blunders, I don't think they have the power to just kill the treasured daughter of the current major power in King's Landing. Actually, Cersei would be a lot safer in King's Landing too, if Mace wasn't pissed at her.

Margaery hasn't opted for trial by combat. She's going for a trial by the Faith, not necessarily a good idea if the jury has an agenda where her conviction furthers their plans. Garlan or a healthy Loras could defeat just about any viable Faith's champion.

Ok so it's not a case of one champion for cersie and one one for Margery going head to head like the the usual trial by cobat,each one would have a separate trial,that's what confused me.

Archived