I think Cersei will lose her trial by combat.

Northernmonkey

It happened to Oberyn Martell.

Not really, Oberyn played a big part in book three other than the battle.

I hope she will, though I have no idea who would be able to defeat Strong.

But I'm more curious to find out if Cersei really changed and became a tamed lion. Because I somehow doubt it.

I don't think so, Cersei has a lot more to do. There is the Valonqar that many believe to be Jaime.

I don't think so, Cersei has a lot more to do. There is the Valonqar that many believe to be Jaime.

Or Arya. People like to predict that too. By the way, I can very well see Jaime killing Cersei in her cell, so she wouldn't have to face another public humiliation when executed.

I think a better analogy for the Faith is the Chalcedonian Orthodox Church under the Eastern Roman (Byzantine) Emperors between the fifth and thirteenth centuries.

The Church was able to flourish in medieval western Europe because of the largely disunited political situation, and because the old Roman aristocrats tended to pursue careers as powerful bishops in the sixth and seventh centuries. In the East (as with Westeros), there was no comparable event, and furthermore there existed a very powerful centralised state. Patriarchs of Constantinople, like Westerosi High Septons, were never really able to seriously defy the power of the Emperor and the aristocracy.

I say this as a Byzantinist, but in many ways the Seven Kingdoms more closely resemble the ERE than they do any medieval western European polity. The Faith is a clear example of this.

Your probaly correct and my knowledge of the Eastern Church is more limited than my knowledge of the Catholic Church. All though the Faith did seem to have some teeth before the Targ invasion and it they did give the Targs a run for their money for a time before Jaehaerys made the peace with them that fixed them in the role that we have seen them in so far. Its probaly fair to say that they did have a more important role in politics before the Targ invasion. Yet I'm saying this without having any of the historical background information to prove it beyond the revolt that they staged against the Targaryean monarchy for a time.

• 1 year later...

Robert Strong has been introduced and built up specifically as being an unstoppable opponent. If he is beaten in the trial by combat, he will have served no real role in the narrative and basically just been a waste of space.

Oberyn, on the other hand, had other roles in the story other than to take part in a trial by combat: he was our introduction to the Dornish, he gave us some backstory regarding several important characters, and his death provoked a strong reaction in Dorne that has a big effect on that whole plotline.

The two aren't really all that comparable.

My guess is RS will win the trial by combat, however Nym will realize that RS's true identity to be Gregor Clegane. She will send word back to Dorne and Prince Doran will openly declare for Aegon by offering a betrothal to Arianne. Just my theory of how it will go down.

I think she will win in a technical sense, but 'Robert the Strong' will in the process be exposed as an automaton, the Faith's champion will be able to knock the helmet off before dying revealing that 'Robert' doesn't have a head.

While Cersei would legally be in the clear, this would set off riots in King's Landing about her 'unholy' monster. It would be even worse if Margaery was convicted and sentenced to death.

Thus giving Cersei a motive to burn King's Landing down to the ground.

Archived