I think Cersei will lose her trial by combat.

Northernmonkey

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that she's going to lose. If you think about it, most of her storylines are tied up. Her relationship with Jaime is over and she's been humiliated in front of the whole realm. Even if she wins her trial, it seems unlikely that she'll be able to act as regent or sit on the small council. What could she do other than retire to Casterley Rock? The only reason I can see for keeping her around is so Tyrion can eventually get his revenge.

Does anyone else agree? And for those who don't, where will Cersei's storyline go next?

I am sure she will win, plot wise.

Also she is the only POV in KL.

Forgot about that. Although we might not necessarily need a POV in Kings Landing. We'll probably have reports from Nym and Tyene in Arianne's chapters.

I just don't see how Cersei will be allowed to carry on as regent. Won't Mace and the rest of the small council claim she's unfit for the job?

Truthfully, I don't see Robert Strong being defeated, but the victory might come at an unacceptable cost. RS revealed as a dybbuk and Qyburn as his creator., for instance

Wouldn't it be delicious if Tyene was the Faith's champion and finished the job her father started, though?

It's possible, but there seems numerous reasons to keep her around. There's the drama of her meeting Jaime again, after he failed to come fight for her. There's her meeting Tyrion again someday. There's Arya's revenge list. There's even the possibility of Sansa getting some revenge. How sweet that would be.

It does seem odd that she would get away with using this monster created by black magic to get out of this though. It didn't seem a big secret what it was, at least to Kevan.

I would love for her to lose...but I don't think she will. I think Martin wants to annoy us with her for a bit longer, and I'm sure she's got some crazy schemes left in her. Having her lose the trial...that would be too neat and undramatic.

The funny thing is, I don't really see how she can lose - Ser Robert Strong is eight feet tall, clad in more plate Armour than a human could lift and might not even have a head. How could anyone possibly defeat that? But because this is GRRM, I'm second guessing myself - it's so obvious that Cersei will be proven innocent, I'm inclined to believe that somehow she won't.

But if she does, wouldn't it just suck? The chance to finally see her exposed for her backstabbing and incest only for it to be proven in a trial before the gods that she's innocent. I can see George doing that to us too, so I don't know what to think.

What I don't understand is the need for Margery to have to bother with trial by combat as its been said the evidence is weak and will most probably fall apart so why the need?

Margaery hasn't opted for trial by combat. She's going for a trial by the Faith, not necessarily a good idea if the jury has an agenda where her conviction furthers their plans. Garlan or a healthy Loras could defeat just about any viable Faith's champion.

Well based on Maggy's prophecy she'll die after all of her kids gone and will be killed by a valonqar, this doesn't suit if she loses her trial.

And i'd really want to read her trying (badly) to take down Mace

You severely underestimate the Lannister Lioness. She was never wise, but she has her clever moments. In a way none of us can expect, she'll do some sort of power-grab. She'll not be the powerfull Regent anymore, but she will have big influence. As long as she has Tommen or Myrcella at her side, she has power. Her moves will also be less stupid, less cruel and less in the open. We may even begin to connect with her while she tries to keep her children safe. Can't wait to read her in action!

I doubt he Robert Strong was introduced just so he can die in his first battle.

:agree:

I see a plot twist in Robert Strong, possibly he's accidentally killing some important onlooker, possibly he get's revealed but she's not going to loose that battle. If you remember the prophecy of Maggy the Frog, Cersei will be cast down by "another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear". The second part of the prophecy, "...Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you" is read by many as indicating that her kids will die before her and both Myrcella and Tommen are still alive. (Personally, I do not think that it necessarily requires all children to die before her, it just says that, when the children die, their shrouds will be gold. They might as well die old, Tommen as king or Lord of Casterly Rock and Myrcella as wife of some important [possibly Essos] lord or as queen [if Tommen does not become king]. Cersei's tears may well be the tears shed over Joffrey.)

Robert Strong is obviously going to kick the crap out of the Faith's champion(Theodan Wells?) but I think something is going to go terribly wrong during the trial. Robert Strong is obviously Frankengregor, there has to be some tell tale sign that he isn't right. So just imagine Robert Strong losing his helmet at the trial, he is either a headless zombie(like the stone giant in Bran's first dream) or he is rotting and his face is grotesque.

chaos ensues, people screaming and running away from the monster, the High Sparrow accusing Cersei of being a witch(another parallel to greek myth Circe.)

You severely underestimate the Lannister Lioness. She was never wise, but she has her clever moments. In a way none of us can expect, she'll do some sort of power-grab. She'll not be the powerfull Regent anymore, but she will have big influence. As long as she has Tommen or Myrcella at her side, she has power. Her moves will also be less stupid, less cruel and less in the open. We may even begin to connect with her while she tries to keep her children safe. Can't wait to read her in action!

I agree, except that I truly hope that she will continue to be as stupid, cruel, and obvious as before. Cersei is one of my favorite villains - she's simultaneously efficiently evil and unintentionally hilarious without meaning to be evil or funny. What's not to love?

Archived