Game of Thrones Kart (free downloadable vidogame)

I programmed two Game of Thrones games;

one's a Castle defense style game, (with 60 levels that span the first 3 books, and an achievement system)

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/210450-game-of-thrones

The other is a 3d snes style Kart racer (with 14 tracks, 23 playable characters)

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/221522-game-of-thrones-kart

I'd love to hear what everyone thought, I've been programming games for 6 years now, I'm a 19 year old Art student. I'v been working on both of these games for almost a year now.

Please tell me what you think of them :)

I programmed two Game of Thrones games;

one's a Castle defense style game, (with 60 levels that span the first 3 books, and an achievement system)

http://sandbox.yoyog...game-of-thrones

The other is a 3d snes style Kart racer (with 14 tracks, 23 playable characters)

http://sandbox.yoyog...of-thrones-kart

I'd love to hear what everyone thought, I've been programming games for 6 years now, I'm a 19 year old Art student. I'v been working on both of these games for almost a year now.

Please tell me what you think of them :)

I'm thinking that those have not been approved by GRRM and will be disappearing.

It's a fan game. I hope he doesnt take it down. I cant imagine enough people will see or play it to make that much of a stir.

Did you try either? I'd rather think of it as fan art, and a nod to the series.

It most certainly falls under art, and is not under jurisdiction of the copyright laws as it doesn't advertise anything and is a free game. It also doesn't use any recordings of the music, but its own midi version of the track.

Hehe just had a blast with the cart game, some great nods to the series and I'm looking forward to unlocking some more characters :D

What are the controls for the tower defense one? Also great job on the map section of that one

It most certainly falls under art, and is not under jurisdiction of the copyright laws as it doesn't advertise anything and is a free game. It also doesn't use any recordings of the music, but its own midi version of the track.

Hehe just had a blast with the cart game, some great nods to the series and I'm looking forward to unlocking some more characters :D

What are the controls for the tower defense one? Also great job on the map section of that one

The tower defense one, you have to click on the character you want to use, then click on the map to fire. the whole game is using the mouse. Sorry, I should have written some kind of tutorial, I'm glad you liked the kart game :) Please share it with your friends/other fans. And thankyou so much for your response

It's a fan game. I hope he doesnt take it down. I cant imagine enough people will see or play it to make that much of a stir.

Did you try either? I'd rather think of it as fan art, and a nod to the series.

I second DreamSongs.

You know, GRRM disapproves of fan fiction. And I guess it would be better if you said "inspired by Game of Thrones" rather than "Game of Thrones kart racer".

It's a question of ip.

I second DreamSongs.

You know, GRRM disapproves of fan fiction. And I guess it would be better if you said "inspired by Game of Thrones" rather than "Game of Thrones kart racer".

It's a question of ip.

It isn't fan fiction, I havent created my own story with his characters. It's an homage to his work. Not a continuation of it. It's just as much an homage to mario kart and the super nintendo.

It's inspired by Game of Thrones, obviously.

There's a lot of people who've written songs about Thrones. (some are famous bands).

Their songs arent fan fiction, just an homage to the series. GRRM doesnt mind them? So why mind this?

And there are a lot of threads about fan arts on this forum, or other funny parodies and stuff.

I don't understand why they're bothering you on this thread.

Anyway, can I ask if the game is portable ?

I'd like to try it (I'm using Linux) but you're providing only an .exe.

And there are a lot of threads about fan arts on this forum, or other funny parodies and stuff.

I don't understand why they're bothering you on this thread.

Anyway, can I ask if the game is portable ?

I'd like to try it (I'm using Linux) but you're providing only an .exe.

People are entitled to their opinion. Thanks for your support.

I don't think it is portable, I have no idea if Linux supports exe files, or how to convert them to something that does. I'm really sorry :/ Something I'll have to look into.

I second DreamSongs.

It's a question of ip.

In what way would this be considered fan fic? It's nuts to think GRRM had fan made FTP games in mind when he said he disapproves of fan fic. This is more along the lines of fan art, which GRRM has posted on his own website. Personally if I was GRRM I'd be posting a link to these games on my own website, as long as they stayed FTP.

And what you call something is irrelevant if the rights holder wants to be an arse about exercising their copyright.

Unsing parts of the score from the TV series, however, might get up HBO's nose, so I'd suggest going for some generic music that's not subject to copyright.

I give it a week before HBO sends you a cease and desist

Only for the music I believe. As I understand it GRRM has retained the rights to licence games, though if he's given game exclusivity to Cyanide Games it would be their perorgative to exercise their exclusivity rights over these games. Let's hope Cyanide aren't arses about it. Though they might get pissy over the fsact that these may be better games than they made themselves. I need to DL the games ASAP just in case one of the rights holders out there decides to be an arse about things.

Archived