LGBTQI Thread - An Ode to Bisexuals

karaddin

I really wish I lived in a world where these people would have their child taken from them and given to someone who isn't going to abuse them in the name of religion.

It appears that same sex marriage will become legal in Illinois. Its Senate just voted approval, the House approved it last February and the Governor has indicated he will sign the bill into law. That would make 15 US states that have made same sex marriage, legal.

ETA: I got that backwards. The Senate previously approved it and the House just did.

In better news, Ireland is to hold a referendum on gay marriage in 2015 (only 20 years after they decriminalised homosexuality).

Dammit, I was going to post that!

Regrettably, I am concerned about the chance of it passing. On liberal(ish) sites it tends to pass with a narrow majority but I don't think we have good data yet. I'll certainly be campaigning for it. Unfortunately this is a country where virtually all abortion is illegal and civil rights are somewhat reluctantly adopted (cf Savita Hallapanavar re abortion and David Norris v Rep of Ireland re homosexuality).

Now, let me dig out my walking shoes...

It appears that same sex marriage will become legal in Illinois. Its Senate just voted approval, the House approved it last February and the Governor has indicated he will sign the bill into law. That would make 15 US states that have made same sex marriage, legal.

ETA: I got that backwards. The Senate previously approved it and the House just did.

Great news!

The Employment Non-discrimination Act (ENDA), passed the Senate. Now goes to the House of Representatives, where its future is much less certain.

Oh, I think its future is certain. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Mainichi

Better known for her work with game criticism and less as a game developer, Mattie Brice released the amazing Mainichi and it is a thoughtful RPGmaker-driven affair that experiments in sharing personal experiences through game mechanics. Mainichi is far removed from your average goblin-slaying RPG. It is a glimpse into life as a mixed transgender woman and the daily occurences faced. It's short but something that is both enlightening and definitely worth at least a second playthrough.

eta: Haven't tried it myself. Gonna give it a run tonight.

eta 2:

dys4ia

dys4ia is the story of the last six months of my life: when i made the decision to start hormone replacement therapy and began taking estrogen. i wanted to catalog all the frustrations of the experience and maybe create an “it gets better” for other trans women. when i started working on the game, though, i didn’t know whether it did get better. i was in the middle of the shit detailed in level 3 of the game, and at the time i had no idea what the ending would be; it was hard to envision a happy ending.

Dammit, I was going to post that!

Regrettably, I am concerned about the chance of it passing. On liberal(ish) sites it tends to pass with a narrow majority but I don't think we have good data yet. I'll certainly be campaigning for it. Unfortunately this is a country where virtually all abortion is illegal and civil rights are somewhat reluctantly adopted (cf Savita Hallapanavar re abortion and David Norris v Rep of Ireland re homosexuality).

Now, let me dig out my walking shoes...

Slightly off topic but I wasn't aware until recently that abortion is illegal in the North as well as the Republic of Ireland.

Therefore a ton of illegal abortions.

It just seemed strange to me as Northern Ireland is rightly or wrongly(I'm not touching that with a bargepole) part of the UK, it just goes to show it must be something Irish people feel more strongly about than all their European neighbours.

It just seemed strange to me as Northern Ireland is rightly or wrongly(I'm not touching that with a bargepole) part of the UK, it just goes to show it must be something Irish people feel more strongly about than all their European neighbours.

Catholicism, no?

Yes, but it's not outright banned in other heavily Catholic Countries like Italy and Spain.

It'd be interesteding to measure religiosity amongst those 3, in terms of their daily practices and their self-reported strength of conviction.

Archived