What are you most afraid will happen in the upcoming novels?

Jaime4Brienne

I did not say otherwise. Nor did I mention "21st century morals"; which are of no concern of mine.

You said " But GRRM does not seem to realise that the Westerosi bedding ceremony is indecent and improper. And there, the victims are innocent girls and women, guilty of no crime. And there's not even a "look don't touch" rule to protect them. So I would not expect him to understand."

Werther something is indecent and improper has everything to do with the time and the culture that you live in.

I find it slightly odd that those brought back to life are referred to as "undead" all the time.

What is your definition of "undead"?

Though they lose vital parts of themselves, their memories and such, they're not damn zombies.

The term "undead" was not applied originally to zombies, but to vampires.

They're alive.

In a sense, yes.

If Jon were brought back, he wouldn't be "unJon", he'd be Jon-- irrevocably damaged, but not some kind of different creature.

Kinda like Lucy in Dracula? Or Gage in Pet Sematary?

Cat has been incredibly changed, but that was far more down to her experiences pre-death, and perhaps her partial degeneration, than her revival itself.

GRRM has explicitly connected it to the revival itself. One loses part of what makes one human.

Did Beric seem like a zombie to you guys?! He didn't to me!

Kind of like the early zombies in Pet Sematary.

You said [...]

I know what I said.

What I did NOT say was "GRRM does not realize that Westeros is not 100% consistent with 21st century morals".

Werther something is indecent and improper has everything to do with the time and the culture that you live in.

According to 21st Century morals (nihilism/relativism) you are correct. But I am not a nihilist, and am a relativist only in the most narrow, relative, sense of the word.

There's a bunch of things that would bum me out minorly (I have learned to be ready for the unexpected with these books, so to not have some awful events would be out of place):

- Jojen paste. I don't want that to be true.

- I don't want to see the Meereenese knot resolved without Dany.

There have been too many leaked chapters pertaining to that battle for there not to be a major resolution at Meereen, but if it's just Victarion, Barristan and Tyrion - who cares?

They have virtually no bearing on the final outcome of the war for the IT without Dany.

Tyrion could have a minor part to play, but without Dany, Victarion & Barristan are a total waste of time.

There's a long shot that with Moqorro's help, Vic gets a dragon back to Euron, but seriously.

An ironborn on a dragon?

Ick.

- I wouldn't want Ghost being Jon's only connection to life.

- I would be massively bummed if we have to endure more Stannis (and Selyse is almost as bad).

- The Boltons turn my stomach, but I guess we're stuck with them.

- Jamie/Brienne fighting? There have been worse things in these books (and there'll be more). I think we could do without this fight, but I have no clue how GRRM is going to resolve this situation.

- I would be more than a little sad if Arya dies.

- If Sansa does not at some point marry a decent man, I would not be happy. She's been punished for 5 books now for daring to have happy dreams. To drag that on for another 2 books would be like a readers Guantanamo.

- If the books end without going to Casterly Rock after the number of time it has been mentioned it would frustrate me.

- If the Others never get south of the wall, it'll be disappointing, to say the least.

- It's hard to imagine that it wouldn't happen, but if we never meet Howland Reed and learn what really happened at the toj, I'm going to gather up my books, set them in the Webber grill and burn them.

Any more Stark deaths (unless somebody somewhere can put Stoneheart out of her misery? Please?)

Jaime, Tyrion, Jorah, Brienne or Davos dying in some accidental or highly unmemorable way.

Littlefinger dying in an unmemorable way. His death deserves to be epic.

Ramsay not dying and Theon and Jeyne not being able to dance on his grave, or corpse.

Dany will spend the next book(s) sitting around dithering and wondering what has happened to Daario.

Howland Reed and Benjen Stark never turn up.

Edmure Tully never gets his revenge on the Freys, come on, give the guy a break! Personally i think that dying in obscurity is poetic justice for Lord Walder, but he's got a hell of a lot of heirs, some of whom are quite unpleasant, there's more than enough to go around.

Nobody ever entirely explaining what Varys is up to.

There's a lot of plot threads to tie up.... i worry about loose ends.

Good point. I too worry about loose ends, or, similarly, mysteries that will never get be solved - Benjen, Coldhands, etc.

-Littlefinger dying...he is far too interesting and too involved in the brilliant machiavellian game of thrones to die anytime before the last 1/3rd of the last book (without littlefinger...ASOIAF wouldnt be what it is...it would just be another fantasy book)...I doubt it will happen as GRRM knows this...but I could see this happening and it would be really upsetting (oddly a littlefinger death would probably be worse for me than almost any other character in the series for that reason)

brienne getting a lot of chapters going on her boring un-interesting quest

sam getting a lot of chapters and spending time in oldtown/the citadel....there is waayyyyyy too many juicy story lines in already developed places...and pretty much the last thing I could give a shit about is sam, or oldtown right now...the only way i can see this working out is if these chapters are short/sweet/ and bring back a loose end like jaqen higar

-im in the minority here....but a full fledged white walker attack and the brilliant political power grab that is currently westeros becomes replaced with an ice zombie apocalypse... kill the bad guys! all the other interesting stuff doesnt matter anymore! lets use magic and dragons and warging and magical dragon glass and all kill the ice zombies!

I'll be pissed if the Starks don't get to make everyone who's done them harm pay. I want the Starks to be a huge force to be reckoned with at the end.

I'd also be pissed if Aegon wins the Iron Throne.

Anymore Stark deaths will piss me off, too. Especially if Jon stays dead.

Also, I want a good payoff with the Lady Stoneheart storyline.

I like that last bit about the bad-ass Skagosi Unicorn Calvary... Imagine w/ Rickon & Shaggydog somewhere amongst it (if not the front)

Unicorns at the crucifixion? Well, I never imagined such a thing.

It's "cavalry", just in case you need a a bit of spelling help.

My biggest fear is the nitpicking that will undoubtabely ensue in spite of how potentially amazing the book will be. :P

I jest ...

The only things I'm actually scared of is that Dany will never make it to Westeros and Sansa being raped.

There are plenty of things I would not exactly look forward to, but those two in general would probably make me want to punt a baby.

Archived