Why do Stannis solidiers follow him so blindly?

He does seem to inspire some devotion.

Those who had changed their allegiance during the battle needed only to swear fealty to Joffrey, but the ones who had fought for Stannis until the bitter end were compelled to speak. Their words decided their fate. If they begged forgiveness for their treasons and promised to serve loyally henceforth, Joffrey welcomed them back into the king's peace and restored them to all their lands and rights. A handful remained defiant, however. "Do not imagine this is done, boy," warned one, the bastard son of some Florent or other. "The Lord of Light protects King Stannis, now and always. All your swords and all your scheming shall not save you when his hour comes."

"Your hour is come right now." Joffrey beckoned to Ser Ilyn Payne to take the man out and strike his head off. But no sooner had that one been dragged away than a knight of solemn mien with a fiery heart on his surcoat shouted out, "Stannis is the true king! A monster sits the Iron Throne, an abomination born of incest!"

"Be silent," Ser Kevan Lannister bellowed.

The knight raised his voice instead. "Joffrey is the black worm eating the heart of the realm! Darkness was his father, and death his mother! Destroy him before he corrupts you all! Destroy them all, queen whore and king worm, vile dwarf and whispering spider, the false flowers. Save yourselves!" One of the gold cloaks knocked the man off his feet, but he continued to shout. "The scouring fire will come! King Stannis will return! "

Joffrey lurched to his feet. "I'm king! Kill him! Kill him now! I command it." He chopped down with his hand, a furious, angry gesture . . . and screeched in pain when his arm brushed against one of the sharp metal fangs that surrounded him. The bright crimson samite of his sleeve turned a darker shade of red as his blood soaked through it. "Mother!" he wailed.

With every eye on the king, somehow the man on the floor wrested a spear away from one of the gold cloaks, and used it to push himself back to his feet. "The throne denies him!" he cried. "He is no king!"

Cersei was running toward the throne, but Lord Tywin remained still as stone. He had only to raise a finger, and Ser Meryn Trant moved forward with drawn sword. The end was quick and brutal. The gold cloaks seized the knight by the arms. "No king!" he cried again as Ser Meryn drove the point of his longsword through his chest.

Absolutely love this scene. Stannis men are badass motherfuckers and joff and cersei are jackasses.

He held Storm's End, he took dragonstone, he defeated the Iron Fleet. The men is a living legend.

Probably his followers of lesser birth have heard stories told of him their whole life, certainly they had one elder relative that fought under Stannis, so almost every week they were probably told about the great deeds Stan did+ count Robert with those stories as well. Some have probably wanted to fight at his side all their live since hearing stories from thei father/uncles about the time that Stannis did - insert awesome action- as a child.

Imagine this scene:

'when I'm a grown man I'll be a miller like my dad'

-'So lame, when I'm grown Imma fight at the side of Lord Stannis, like MY dad :cool4: (and f*ck bitches)'

If you're gonna follow someone unto death, it might as well be Stannis Baratheon.

This, before meeting Stannis Davos wasn't the type to die for anybodies cause, now look at him.

Others have pointed out his unbiasedness, theres also a nice little scene in the GOT extras in which Davos says that Stannis is the last person to eat at Storms End, a portion no bigger than anybody else. If theres anything us grunts at the bottom respect, its those at the top slumming it with us, even when they're the ones demanding it.

He held Storm's End, he took dragonstone, he defeated the Iron Fleet. The men is a living legend.

Probably his followers of lesser birth have heard stories told of him their whole life, certainly they had one elder relative that fought under Stannis, so almost every week they were probably told about the great deeds Stan did+ count Robert with those stories as well. Some have probably wanted to fight at his side all their live since hearing stories from thei father/uncles about the time that Stannis did - insert awesome action- as a child.

Imagine this scene:

'when I'm a grown man I'll be a miller like my dad'

-'So lame, when I'm grown Imma fight at the side of Lord Stannis, like MY dad :cool4: (and f*ck bitches)'

Did you lapse into a daydream here or what? I do hope Stannis manages to defeat Bolton at WF & gain some much needed support, but I didn't read any allusion to him being a legend in any one's view...except maybe Mel's.

I agree with others posts that most of Stannis' followers are either there for Mel's cause, their own cause, or they don't wanna die in North's Winter.

Rolland Storm is a follower of the seven, and he hold DS up to the end. The same as Davos, Lomas and Andrew Estermont and all the "kings men" and of course all the ones who were with him at Robert Rebelion in Storms End.

Its just a fact that "because they are queens men, rhlorrians or whatsoever " its just not the full answer.

Did you lapse into a daydream here or what? I do hope Stannis manages to defeat Bolton at WF & gain some much needed support, but I didn't read any allusion to him being a legend in any one's view...except maybe Mel's.

I agree with others posts that most of Stannis' followers are either there for Mel's cause, their own cause, or they don't wanna die in North's Winter.

I think he might be set up as a legendary figure. Sam calls him "A King who still cares". The mountain clans are following him into battle. His victory in the Battle of Ice is shaping up to be a parallel to Robert's victory of three armies at Summerhall, His military accomplishments speak for themselves and though I don't think he will sit the Iron Throne (or survive the series) I don't think it's implausible to see him die a heroic death against the Others.

I think he might be set up as a legendary figure. Sam calls him "A King who still cares". The mountain clans are following him into battle. His victory in the Battle of Ice is shaping up to be a parallel to Robert's victory of three armies at Summerhall, His military accomplishments speak for themselves and though I don't think he will sit the Iron Throne (or survive the series) I don't think it's implausible to see him die a heroic death against the Others.

I still don't get it. I don't mean to offend anyone's opinions of fav character if that's what the exaggerations are about, but there really isn't any reasonable evidence to suggest the status of "a legendary figure." I like Stannis and hope I didn't missed any moments of greatness, but the reasons you have given don't show any support for legendary status:

-Sam's feelings toward Stannis on one occasion hardly shows a legend in the making AND Sam didn't call him that. He thinks to himself that a raven carrying NW plee for help reached Dragonstone & a king who still cares. There is a big difference b/w him think to himself that Stannis is a king who still cares because he showed up and calling him "A King who still cares" out loud to anyone.

-Now, you surely know the Mountain Clans are with Stannis to rescue the Ned's girl & bathe in Bolton blood. He could be anyone in charge of 1000 warriors willing to march on WF, and they'd follow him.

-I missed the parallel b/w Battle of Ice & Summerhall. Did he win against 3 separate armies that day? Which army did he win against by defeating their leader in single combat? When did he make them his friends & supporters? As a matter of fact, Stannis criticized Robert for how he handled the situation and would not have gained their armies, but instead would have thrown the 2 remaining Lords in a cell. So I don't get the parallel.

-Randal Tarly has military accomplishments & no one calls him a legend.

I agree Stannis probably won't make it to the IT & may likely die against the others. A hero?..I think he probably end up one. A legend?...That's for men like Quarin Halfhand!

Whatever doubts his lords might nurse, the common men seemed to have faith in their king. Stannis had smashed Mance Rayder’s wildlings at the Wall and cleaned Asha and her ironborn out of Deepwood Motte; he was Robert’s brother, victor in a famous sea battle off Fair Isle, the man who had held Storm’s End all through Robert’s Rebellion. And he bore a hero’s sword, the enchanted blade Lightbringer, whose glow lit up the night.

From Asha's pov in A Dance With Dragons

I agree Stannis probably won't make it to the IT & may likely die against the others. A hero?..I think he probably end up one. A legend?...That's for men like Quarin Halfhand!

I always thought it was fairly obvious that Stannis is developing into a legendary or mythic figure, in large part due to Melisandre's machinations. He has a magic, glowing sword, he is at the center of a divine prophecy, he has fought and defeated a King Beyond the Wall (it feels like a good 90% of the stories we hear about from the Age of Heroes feature this as part of the storyline), etc. There's no reason to think in my mind to think that Stannis will fade into obscurity. That doesn't mean that he will be beloved or revered necessarily, but his story has so many mythic elements to it that it seems almost scripted to make him into a legend -- which is, apparently, what Melisandre designed it to be.

Follow him blindly?? Which books are you reading?? His own master at arms betrayed him in the siege of SE. Baratheon lords and men chose a man who had no possible right to the throne rather than him(the eldest male Baratheon), Most of his army deserted him at the sight of a ghost. And most of those who remain(like 5% of his original host) follow him because they are religious fanatics(the Queen's Men - who are truly only loyal to Melisandre and not Stannis). The only ones who are loyal to him are the few hundred King's men in his camp.

I always thought it was fairly obvious that Stannis is developing into a legendary or mythic figure, in large part due to Melisandre's machinations. He has a magic, glowing sword, he is at the center of a divine prophecy, he has fought and defeated a King Beyond the Wall (it feels like a good 90% of the stories we hear about from the Age of Heroes feature this as part of the storyline), etc. There's no reason to think in my mind to think that Stannis will fade into obscurity. That doesn't mean that he will be beloved or revered necessarily, but his story has so many mythic elements to it that it seems almost scripted to make him into a legend -- which is, apparently, what Melisandre designed it to be.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought the term "Legend" was being used to denote an extrodinary person, but I understand a 2nd definition was being used instead.

That is, Legend = A Myth which has no factual evidence of being true.

In that case, this is a difference of opinion because I always thought it was fairly obvious that Stannis is not AA, his sword is not Lightbringer but in fact a magic sword, and Mel & her whole R'hllor thing is doing more harm to Stannis' cause than good.

Keeping on the topic with the OP here:

His loyal army just keeps dwindling down so it won't really matter how faithful they were to him when they're all dead.

He simply isn't going to find many more people willing to watch humans being burned alive & still support him.

Nor is he going to gain or keep much more support if he keeps allowing his R'hllorians to offend those faithful to All other faiths.

Follow him blindly?? Which books are you reading?? His own master at arms betrayed him in the siege of SE. Baratheon lords and men chose a man who had no possible right to the throne rather than him(the eldest male Baratheon), Most of his army deserted him at the sight of a ghost. And most of those who remain(like 5% of his original host) follow him because they are religious fanatics(the Queen's Men - who are truly only loyal to Melisandre and not Stannis). The only ones who are loyal to him are the few hundred King's men in his camp.

1 Other people rooted out the master at arms and told Stannis that he's gonna open the gates during the siege.

2 Baratheon lords followed Renly bc Robert made him Lord of SE therefore Renly was their liege lord.

3 Those that deserted at the sight of Renly's armor were Renly's bannermen that went over to Stan when Renly died

4 We cant know for sure the numbers of Queens Men vs. Kings Men. I think the QM are with Mel and Selyse at Castle Black..

4 We cant know for sure the numbers of Queens Men vs. Kings Men. I think the QM are with Mel and Selyse at Castle Black..

No, there are plenty of Queen's men happily burning the starved, lowly foot solders on the march to WF with Stannis: Horpe, Godry, Suggs, Penny, ect...

Archived