A song of ice and fire dancing.

E-Ro

Well, I been in a really dancing kick lately, really lovin it. Anyway, it got me to thinking about dances in a song of ice and fire. It seems to me there aren't really any signature dance moves in westeros or essos. There are however references to dancing in the series. At various weddings the westeros dance, I remember sansa dancing with garlan tyrell that one time, and him saying those nice words to her. So, it would seem much like in our world dancing at weddings is a common thing.I would assume this dancing is similar to what most of us would be accustomed to, just some good ole fashioned slow moving, really romantic and relaxing. There is also that one time when the quartheen people have those slave dancers dance for dany as entertainment. This seems to me to be more like some sort of ballet, not much I can say about this, but its the only example of dancing I can remember from essos.

What do you guys think of dancing in the series? Do we need more of it? Less? Did I miss an example of dance from the books? Also, who do you think is the best dancer in the series? I actually think its robert, after a few drinks im sure he could dance the whole court out of the red keep. Feel free to chime in!

I need more dancing of dragons.

haha, well, at first I thought you meant dancing as in fighting, but the thought of dragons actually dancing is interesting. I wonder if dragons are smart enough to be taught how to dance?

I think its interesting to note that some dances can be seen as almost violent, as they are VERY fast paced and physical. So maybe the dance with dragons is called a dance because there are a ton of fast paced westerosi dances that remind people of fighting?

I don't know E-Ro, but if you try to turn this into a "Stannis is the best dancer" thread I'm going to have to report you for abusing the forum.

No. Just no. Unacceptable.

;)

:laugh: Me? I would never! It would be amazing if I could cite a quote about Stannis dancing, sadly I dont think such a passage exists. Perhaps wow will change that.

Haha, he could go and dance off a bridge

Sam is the best dancer. He said he often danced with his sisters

Oh I forgot about that. I thought he said he was clumsy and bad at it though? Being a good dancer takes a certain sort of courage, I dont think sam is brave enough to get in front of a crowd and dance his heart out. Drunken robert on the other hand(or sober robert, for that matter) is a completely different story.

Oh I forgot about that. I thought he said he was clumsy and bad at it though? Being a good dancer takes a certain sort of courage, I dont think sam is brave enough to get in front of a crowd and dance his heart out. Drunken robert on the other hand(or sober robert, for that matter) is a completely different story.

I don't remember if he was good at it or not (being Sam I bet he was all kinds of bad), but I can totally picture him practicing in front of the mirror in his room and then a pissed-off Randyll barging in. "No son of mine is going to be a dancer!"

It's like the Westerosi Footloose/Billy Elliot/Dance Flick right there

We get fairly detailed descriptions of the dancing at weddings: Jon at Alys' wedding, Cat at the Red Wedding, Sansa at her own wedding, etc. At Sansa's wedding, we actually get the POV of one of the dancers (Sansa), as she goes through various partners (Garlan, Joffrey at one point I think, etc.). And of course there's Robb dancing with all the Frey girls and then later with Dacey Mormont at the Red Wedding, shortly before both are slaughtered.

Sansa likes to dance, but Alayne's not sure if Alayne does.

I remember Tywin Lannister is pretty smooth in the books(quick, someone link Charles Dance in drag from that bad movie!)

Yes, indeed, as per ASOS, he danced with "smooth, unsmiling grace." :D

Then there's Jaime's sort of dancing, an entirely different kind. :)

He didnt dance he choose to sit out

Jon was well established to be a shit dancer. I think Alys even hints to this when they meet. Next up, "Bastards Dont Dance! The Musical"

:P

Im almost positive that Mance can boogie like a bawss. Sure, hes usually the one making people dance, but im sure he can jive. Probably got Tormund on his side via a dance-off.

Id love to see some more lighthearted dancing as long as its not those Lyseni guys again. Ouch....

Archived