Loophole in the Justice System of Westeros?

Breaking Stannis

Heyo fellow members. Here I was watching Memento in my cozy home, while winter looms ahead of us like an angry beast. Then, a notion hit me like a freight train that has left Paris due west 48 km/h simultaniously with another train in the opposite direction with the velocity of 73 km/h.

In A Game of Thrones, before Jon Snuh takes his vows, Lord Commander Mormont says that no one will be judged by the Night's Watch, should they refuse to take the vows and leave now. If so why doesn't all the thiefs and poachers who will plot treason agains the Watch, should they -Gods forbid- actually have to do some fucking hard work, leave the fuck now and go to, i dunno, White Harbor or Barrowlands or something and live there as muscle for couple of years then simply go anywhere else except 20 mile radius of where you were condemned on exile on the Wall.

I mean there isn't like there are ID cards or something. Changing your name is the easiest thing evar in Westeros.

Right?

I think the fact that someone can be "sentenced to the Wall", means that those individuals who are sent there as part of life sentence crimes, are not given the choice to leave. The reason Mormont doesn't say it, could then be because that's self-evident to everyone in Westeros.

I think the fact that someone can be "sentenced to the Wall", means that those individuals who are sent there as part of life sentence crimes, are not given the choice to leave. The reason Mormont doesn't say it, could then be because that's self-evident to everyone in Westeros.

Exactly. What the Lord Commander said only applies to those who volunteer for the Wall.

I'm not sure how it works because it hasn't come up in the books, and it may depend on who the Lord Commander is. I'm sure they'd either carry out the sentence for his crime, execute him, or let him go with no food/horse/heavy clothing with the understanding that the guy doesn't stand a chance. Sorta like Lysa tried to do with Tyrion after he won his trial.

As others said, that likely only applies to those who volunteer. Although it is interesting that in the first couple of Jon chapters at the Wall, he is absolutely miserable but never thinks he can leave, and Donal Noye even tells him he can't, that he's stuck there for life. It's a bit odd.

Archived