Jaime Entry vs Barristan Entry in the Whitebook

Mithras

• 4 months later...

This.

Jaime's change is a process. It has certain milestones. He is becoming a true knight, trying to keep his oaths. His dream on the weirwood treestomp was very important. That made him realize unconsciously that his life (and also Brienne's life) depends on how long they can keep their oaths. Fail and die, keep your oaths and live.

The very last sentence in this chapter is what strikes me most. "Whatever he chose...".

If he continued writing after the chapter is done for us, I'd like to speculate whether he is writing the story of saving Kings Landing from Aerys' plans to torch it. He has the opportunity to write whatever he chooses, he struggles with it through most of his Brienne chapters, why not get it on record. Most likely nobody reads this until he passes away anyways.

He is going through this transition and getting the reason for kingslaying Aerys on paper puts his honor back on the forefront.

At the Tourney At Lannisport, after the Greyjoy Rebellion, Jorah was awarded the final win over Jaime, by King Robert, not because one of them was unhorsed.

I always suspected that was Robert trying to put Jaime down, not that Jorah was the better jouster.

Archived