Is it possible that there is no Azor Ahai?

Dance Layder

Because the story isn't about the fulfillment of a 5,000 year-old prophecy. It's about what happens when people believe in a 5,000 year-old prophecy (and other, more recent, ones), how they act to try to fulfil (or deny) them, and the consequences thereof - starting with Rhaegar and continuing with Mel, Cersei and others.

I think it's very likely that there will be no Azor Ahai or PtWP - indeed, I will be disappointed if come the end of the series there is any character whom can be unequivocally identified as such.

I would put money on that ther will be an AAR & PtwP... but that it will be ambiguous as to who the prophesy really was about and could apply to multiple characters, similar to Harry Potter.

I hope there is no Azor Ahai. I hate the asshole. The whole thing with murdering the woman he supposedly loved to make a f***ing sword, ugh.

He supposedly needed the sword to save the world, so he sacrificed his wife to save millions. Still I can't see how one sword, however cool, can make THAT much of a difference, but that's how the story goes.

http://www.adriasnew...-interview.html

"Yes, it was always my intention: to play with the reader’s expectations. Before I was a writer I was a voracious reader and I am still, and I have read many, many books with very predictable plots. As a reader, what I seek is a book that delights and surprises me. I want to not know what is gonna happen. For me, that’s the essence of storytelling and for this reason I want my readers to turn the pages with increasing fever: to know what happens next. There are a lot of expectations, mainly in the fantasy genre, which you have the hero and he is the chosen one, and he is always protected by his destiny. I didn’t want it for my books."

I thinks its possible that AAR isn't even a real thing.

*holds up flame shield*

I think I'll agree with those here who think we might never find out or that the prophesy might apply to more than one character and we still won't find out.

The passage you highlighted is why I read and enjoy this series. I hate the chosen one-all in one neatly wrapped package deal-super hero-king bullshit.

Personally I like the idea that after the last books are published, people will be arguing about who AA was, not will be, because there will be arguments for several characters having been him/her.

Archived