Rowling to kill off Harry?

Vestrit

I don't think she'll kill Harry, but hey, you never know. I think one of the two deaths she talked about in that interview will be Neville. Just have a feeling. The other...who knows? Maybe Snape? I hope not though - I like Snape despite his mean behavior. :)

Slightly off topic... But at the end of the last book Harry and Dumbledore go off to to find a Horocux(?), however, someone has got there before them and taken it, leaving behind only a note and the initials RB (? Is that right?, I dont have the book on me). Questions:

1. What form does this horocux take?

2. Who is RB?

3. Any ideas on the remaining horocuxs and what they will be?

Someone got there before me, but RAB is speculated to be Regulus Black, Sirius' brother.

I still don't understand the theory of Harry or his scar being the last horcrux. We're talking about a part of Voldemort's soul. I just don't think it would be that simple to force a part of your soul into someone else without it having some type of devastating affect.

If Snape ends up being extremely evil - I smell a defamation lawsuit coming! Because in the pask, JKR has pretty much said the character is based on her ex, right? So he'll have to end up ok in the end, or she's going to lose money big time!

-SoJ

Slightly off topic... But at the end of the last book Harry and Dumbledore go off to to find a Horocux(?), however, someone has got there before them and taken it, leaving behind only a note and the initials RB (? Is that right?, I dont have the book on me). Questions:

1. What form does this horocux take?

2. Who is RB?

3. Any ideas on the remaining horocuxs and what they will be?

SPOILER: HBP

1. That horcrux (fake and real) is a locket. Now, cast your mind back to the last time you saw a locket mentioned in any of the books...a hint: it's in the Order of the Phoenix, near the beginning.

2. Sirius's brother Regulus.

3. Haven't really thought about it.

I still don't understand the theory of Harry or his scar being the last horcrux. We're talking about a part of Voldemort's soul. I just don't think it would be that simple to force a part of your soul into someone else without it having some type of devastating affect.

The way I think most people invision how it happened is that Voldemort was planning on making another horcrux with the murder of Harry. Lily Potters invervation caused the magic to backfire and one of the consequences of this was that Harry was unitentially made a Horcrux. Lily's murder served as the death needed to make the Horcrux. If this is the case Voldemort could well not have been aware of this for some time and may still not be.

I'm not sold on the idea but that basically sums up how the idea would work.

I rank Harry's chance of survival as 50-50. Rowling could so easily go either way, imo. I hate to say this, but I'd rather have her kill off Harry then either Ron or Hermione. Either way, I hope we don't lose more than one member of the Golden Trio, as seeing any of them cope with the loss of the other two would be so hard.

I can easily see Snape dying, although I pray we get answers first, and that his death is meaningful in some way. Let him go out with a big bang.

On a similar vein, if JK dares to lay a hand on poor Neville, she better let him go out in a blaze of glory, taking some important Death Eaters down along with him. His death would actually be the hardest for me to take of any of the characters.

I'm fairly certain we'll lose some Weasley's, just because it's such a big family. It'd be beyond a miracle if some of them don't die...coughhopeitspercycough.

The only death I'm certain about is that of Voldemort, because the series can't be properly finished without his death.

I'm almost 100% certain that Hagrid is either the character that got the reprieve or one of the two characters who now dies.

I don't see Ron or Hermoine being one (or both) of the two characters who Rowling was killed off without expecting too. One/both may be killed but I suspect that would have been planned well in advance.

If Snape ends up being extremely evil - I smell a defamation lawsuit coming! Because in the pask, JKR has pretty much said the character is based on her ex, right?

I thought it was Lockhart who was based on her ex?

The way I think most people invision how it happened is that Voldemort was planning on making another horcrux with the murder of Harry. Lily Potters invervation caused the magic to backfire and one of the consequences of this was that Harry was unitentially made a Horcrux. Lily's murder served as the death needed to make the Horcrux. If this is the case Voldemort could well not have been aware of this for some time and may still not be.

I'm not sold on the idea but that basically sums up how the idea would work.

That's an interesting theory and I could see how someone could assume that. However, from what we've seen of some of the horcruxes, it seems that a large part of Voldemort's will is imposed on those objects. I have yet to see anything in Harry's behavior that suggests that he is influenced in any manner by Voldemort. Not only that, doesn't it take some effort to make a horcrux? I find it hard to believe that you could unintentionally make a horcrux without it involving some major effort. I'm not really sold on the idea either.

However, from what we've seen of some of the horcruxes, it seems that a large part of Voldemort's will is imposed on those objects. I have yet to see anything in Harry's behavior that suggests that he is influenced in any manner by Voldemort.

He has either a part of Voldemort's soul (which seems most likely) or some other bizarre connection to Voldemort in that scar of his. He can talk to snakes, he chose a wand from the same materials, he can see through Voldemort's eyes -- it's pretty clear some part of Voldemort rubbed off on him. However, unlike the diary, it's quite passive, so I'd guess it's some sort of botched horcrux.

I thought it was Lockhart who was based on her ex?

No, she based Lockhart on someone she knows/knew who was totally in love with themself but I don't think it was her ex. She's stated that the person is so self-delusional that they won't recognise themself in Lockhart and is probably telling people that he was the basis for Dumbledore.

I didn't know Snape was based on anyone though.

This thread is too long and I don't know if anyone has already pointed this out, but Rowling's statement was about two deaths she didn't expect. Harry's death can't be among them, she's not so bad a writer as to have her main character die unexpectedly.

You make a good point Mad Queen, I'll stop with the thread hijacking. I just hope she doesn't decide to do anything to the Weasly twins either. It's bad enough we lost Dumbledore, I don't think I could stand losing any more of my favorite characters.

It's bad enough we lost Dumbledore, I don't think I could stand losing any more of my favorite characters.

no offense, but what the hell are you doing on a George RR Martin forum?

as for the Horcrux; I think dumbledore feared that Harry was the last Horcrux, and when dumbledore gets the infamous "a look almost like triumph" on his face when he hears that Voldemort's reincarnated body is infused with harry's blood, it is dumbledore coming to believe that the last horcrux has done a 180 and now makes voldemort physically killable without needing to kill harry: i.e., thanks to Wormtail's ritual, the last horcrux is now voldemort's body, whereas before it was Harry himself.

of course, harry won't discover this until voldemort is killed and the little punk sez, "but why aren't I dead...?" a la the end of every goddamned HP to date save the last one. not sure who will fill in for ol' dumbledexposition, but someone will probably step up.

or not.

The same can be said for Ginny Weasley, where Rowling actually does stand up in a more obvious way against misogyny when Ginny is allowed to be really pissed off at her brother when he accuses her of being "loose" since she's had more than one boyfriend. You can also note that Harry is firmly on Ginnny's side here, although he does acknowledge his own jealousy.

Warning Rant ahead....

I generally like the characters in Harry Potter. Who seriously doesn't love Snape or Lupin? Even her female characters are enjoyable from quirky Tonks, to serious McGonagall... however Ginny is like a piece of sand paper on a sun burn. Seriously! She's the Kelly Kapowski of Hogwarts! If their where a Cheer Squad she'd be the Head of it. /Rant

That said I would be impressed if Rowlings had the balls to kill Harry off. I just don't think she does. It's just a vibe I get from the books, and her interviews. She might make you think she is, he may get very close; but I don't think she would actually do it.

Likewise I think Ron, Hermione, and Ginny are safe. Harry is on a bit of an odyssey and I think R/H/G represent his Ithaca. They aren't going to die. Likewise I don't think Mr. and Mrs. Weaslely are kicking it. Though the other brothers are fair game.

My thought is that Lupine may have got the reprieve. She may be setting up a life for him post Voldie with Tonks. Though if he dies it will not shock me greatly.

Snape I think will die. Perhaps McGonagall, or Neville (<- :cry: ), pretty much any one else is fair game.

So in all I think those who won't die are

Harry

Ron/ Hermione ( and yes they have to kiss at least once before the end of the series... :blush: )

Ginny (Because Kelly made it to the College years)

Arthur and Molly

Any one else is cannon fodder.

Archived