A lack of Stannis in season 4?

Conquered Sun

Seems like Stephen Dillane is keeping busy outside of GOT. He had a supporting part in the sky1 comedy A Touch of Cloth, and he's now a lead actor in the new sky Atlantic (HBO?) drama The Tunnel.

Is Stannis' character therefore going to have a reduced role this season and perhaps his SOS material might be held back?

Or is he just going to work really hard and be in everything?

Seems like Stephen Dillane is keeping busy outside of GOT. He had a supporting part in the sky1 comedy A Touch of Cloth, and he's now a lead actor in the new sky Atlantic (HBO?) drama The Tunnel.

Is Stannis' character therefore going to have a reduced role this season and perhaps his SOS material might be held back?

Or is he just going to work really hard and be in everything?

I'm pretty sure the actors have a strict contract, so that something like this is avoided.

Most of the cinematography is done.

Stephen Dillane did all his stuff this summer up until September.

Then, I think Stannis wont feature proeminenty this season. Or, that, at least, he will be absent of episode 4, 5 and 6... and potentially 7.

I expect that he'll have a minimal role, as he has no plot role in the books at this point until arriving at the Wall. I believe there were some production stills of some men being burnt at DS (Presumably to get good sailing winds like in the books) and of course he'll be in episodes 9 and 10. Aside from that no guarantees of anything.

I could see him running into Yara though and taking her captive (removing the need for the Battle of Deepwood Motte) and Davos may be sent off to Whiteharbour to treat with Manderly, depending on how they want to handle the Northern plot line - and especially if they want to move some of Theon's ADWD arc into S4.

It would be better for him not to be in at least three episodes prior to episode 9 (Battle of the Wall). That way it will be more of a shock when he shows up, and will parallel what the Tyrells did to him in Blackwater

Show some burnings on Dragonstone in the first few episodes, maybe some more Shireen and Selyse (they need to be expanded on or else why have them in the show?)

It definitely won't be held back, episode 9 is titled "Castle Black", which will obviously be the battle for Castle Black. My guess is that he will be most prominent at the start and end of the season, obviously he doesn't have much to do in the middle of this season but im sure D&D will put in a new arc as to fill the void between him setting off from Dragonstone and arriving at Castle Black.

Seeing as The Battle is set for episode 9, I think it likely that some of the LC's election will be moved prior to this. I've seen a couple suggestions for Jon to be elected prior to the battle however I think this would ruin his arc somewhat. But I can certainly see the set up, with Janos gaining popularity being in the previous episodes so there's more time in E10 for Sam's scheming and Stannis' proposal.

s04e09's rightful title is Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!, guess they thought it would have been a giveaway.

D+D will never named an episode after Stannis, they hate the character (also it will be to spoilerous) XD

I think Stannis will be absent for most of season 4, he probably will leave Dragonstone in ep 4/5 and only return at the end of ep 9.

As for Jon's election before the battle it won't make any sense, Jon hasn't done anything to earn anyone's respect yet (appart from Sam), but sadly is one thing I can see the show doing

Stephen's scenes last season felt very rushed as if they were under pressure to film. He will probably disappear for a while when he sets sail and hopefully they can introduce some element of surprise to the upcoming battle.

They've already pretty much dispensed with any notion of surprise, probably so they can have Stannis appear prior to the battle in S4, without having to go to ridiculous lengths to conceal things. So yeah, that ship has sailed.

Would have been great if rather than telegraph what happens next with Stannis they'd left his s3 storyline open-ended as per/even more so than the books and then had him turn up at the Wall out of nowhere. The audience would have been confused about where Stannis had vanished to but this could have been mirrored in the reactions of Tywin/Pycelle/others and would have been a nice relation. Guess Stephen Dillane wouldn't have wanted to be offscreen for the first 80%+ of s4 like Balon and Asha in s3 so hopefully that was the reason rather than any creative decision.

When I heard about Ygritte making it back to meet with Mance again in a leaked scene, I decided Stannis is getting to the Wall early. There really is nothing for him to do beside capture Yara. So I think all the LC election stuff is getting moved before the Battle for the Wall. Maybe he shows up to save the day at Craster's Keep in the first part of the season, say, episode 5? Then back to the Wall for the election, Mance's army shows up, LC Jon goes for a parlay, and episode 9 is the big battle.

If I remember correctly, there was a leaked picture of Melisandre and Stannis burning a few people, surrounded by soldiers. http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/gory-game-of-thrones-scene-filmed-at-wellknown-beauty-spot-ballintoy-beach-29653592.html

But nevermind, No Melisandre and there is no one immediately recognizable as Stephen DIllane. Still thought I would post this link though.

Archived