A Theory: The possibly game-changing secret beneath the Winterfell Crypts

cantuse

Great post. I hadn't considered the harp. I don't know what size the harp is but Ned was already bringing Lyanna's body back to Winterfell so there is a good chance that he would be using a wagon anyway. Why were people suggesting that Torrhen's crown could be in the crypt as well? Did Rhaegar have it? The wiki says the whereabouts of the crown are unknown. I prefer the idea of the harp, wedding cloak and a dragon egg if there are multiple items hidden there but either way I really like this theory.

The problem I have with this is, where is the connection to Jon? The Rhaegar/Lyanna connection already exists, a harp in her tomb emphasizes it, but it says nothing about Jon. Even if Jon finds out the truth, goes and defiles his mother's own tomb, and proves to himself that he is their get, what does it do to convince anybody else? Heck, even if Rhaegar himself was buried with her, what does that prove about Jon?

The secret buried beneath the Winterfell crypts is export-grade petroleum.

The Starks have been sitting on an industrial revolution for centuries.

But now the truth is out.

www.InvestigateWinterfell.com

www.StarkLies.com
www.RadioFreeHorza.com

The problem I have with this is, where is the connection to Jon? The Rhaegar/Lyanna connection already exists, a harp in her tomb emphasizes it, but it says nothing about Jon. Even if Jon finds out the truth, goes and defiles his mother's own tomb, and proves to himself that he is their get, what does it do to convince anybody else? Heck, even if Rhaegar himself was buried with her, what does that prove about Jon?

The harp in the tomb could also prove to some people that in addition to being a traitor, Ned Stark was a thief as well.

Just sayin.

Yeah, it wouldn't do much to convince anyone else in the series. I can't think of anything that would be in the tomb, short of video evidence, that would actually prove to anyone else in the kingdom Jon's parentage. And even then they'd be crying "shopped!" At best some memento of Rhaegar would help Jon realize his own lineage/potential as the PtwP (although how he would get the idea that he's not Ned's son but Lyanna's is also not clear at this point - Reed maybe?).

The harp in the tomb could also prove to some people that in addition to being a traitor, Ned Stark was a thief as well.

Just sayin.

Lol.

Yeah, it wouldn't do much to convince anyone else in the series. I can't think of anything that would be in the tomb, short of video evidence, that would actually prove to anyone else in the kingdom Jon's parentage. And even then they'd be crying "shopped!" At best some memento of Rhaegar would help Jon realize his own lineage/potential as the PtwP (although how he would get the idea that he's not Ned's son but Lyanna's is also not clear at this point - Reed maybe?).

It would be much more interesting if Jon had one half of a Targaryen wedding cloak in his possession as a swaddling cloth that became a security blanket, and the other half entombed.

It would be much more interesting if Jon had one half of a Targaryen wedding cloak in his possession as a swaddling cloth that became a security blanket, and the other half entombed.

Yeah, that would be telling. I can't see how this would be in Jon's possession but go unnoticed by anyone in the household for 14+ years though. Particularly Catelyn, who seems like she was always intrigued (and probably a bit jealous) about the identity of the mother. Even if Catelyn never wanted to touch the kid and Jon always had some nanny take care of him, someone would have noticed clothing with Targaryen emblems on it, as it was the reigning house for decades before the rebellion.

"A harp can be as dangerous as a sword, in the right hands." - Littlefinger

Jon = King Arthur

Harp in the stone (tomb) = Sword in the stone

So, it takes king's blood to wake a dragon from stone - Jon will have to open the crypt to find out he is a prince.

This completely ignores the back story of the sword in the stone. It's not like people are saying that the one who holds Rhaegar's harp is the true king. It's pretty meaningless and at the very most could connect the dots for Jon if he happens to have a vision. It literally does nothing to 'prove' who he is to anybody else.

Not bad, but, why would he take Rhaegar's harp just to shut it away in a tomb? I mean, even if you're trying to hide it so you could give it to Jon later down the line, surely there is somewhere more convenient than his sister's tomb to store it which seems far more... <_< >_>.... cryptic than seems necessary!

I know you suggest that the promise Ned made was that he had to tell Jon one day. I think its more likely that the promise was to raise Jon as his own in Winterfell, because otherwise why did the fear go out of Lyanna's eyes when he agreed? I think its more likely the fear was about her new born son being raised by someone who would look after him than about the prophecy.

Indeed. It also explains why, if Lyanna asked Ned to raise Jon "as his own" why he never told Cat the details of Jon's parentage (unless he really is just Ned's bastard, which would be awesome/hilarious).

Archived