West of Westeros.

Mr. James

Hmmm. Isnt it possible to find an "America" first, THEN A large ocean that leads to Asshai?

Why I think Asshai is close to the Land of always winter, is cause, Melisandre compares her strength at the wall to Asshai, which means she had strong magic there aswell.

Asshai has the oldest records of AA, so its possible it is close enough to the land of always winter for them to hear the story.

Also they have a large supply of dragonglass just like the CotF, so it would make sense for them to be a similar area geographically and separated by a small sea.

Why I think Asshai is close to the Land of always winter, is cause, Melisandre compares her strength at the wall to Asshai, which means she had strong magic there aswell.

Asshai has the oldest records of AA, so its possible it is close enough to the land of always winter for them to hear the story.

I thought it was the magic inside the wall boosting her powers.

I think it's probably an unkown continent. Westeros, Essos and Sothyros roughly correspond to Europe, Asia and Africa so it makes sense that there's an America-like continent out there.

Or Westeros is America, Essos is Eurasia, Sothoryos is Africa.

Ulthos is out there somewhere, it might be west of Westeros, or it could be in the southern hemisphere somewhere.

I'll say it straight.

The idea that the Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron have anything to do with Brandon the Shipwright is utter nonsense.

For one, Ifeqevron is right next to Ibben. The Ibbenese have regular contact with Westeros, and if Brandon made it all the way to Ifeqevron, then he could easily have sent word to Westeros via the Ibbenese.

Another point is that Ifeqevron is like 90% around the world from where Brandon set out. If he made it to there it would be like Magellan making it all the way from Europe to America to Japan to Palestine and ending somewhere around Greece only to set up a kingdom just a hop skip and a jump from where he started.

In short, a Northman kingdom at Ifeqevron doesnt make sense, and if it did exist it would be in regular trade contact with the North. It would not be a mysterious hidden kingdom like Ifeqevron.

So that theory is dead in the water.

Personally, I believe Brandon reached Ice and Fire America, and his colony probably perished like the first American colonies did in the real world.

I'm confused.................

..........I thought West of Westeros was just the eastern side of Essos.

If not, then how the hell do the Greyjoys raid ships from Essos ?

The Narrow Sea?

Anyhow, maybe this...Solos (Land of the sunset) is where Brandy the Shipwright landed and colonized. Maybe at the last possible minute the descendants of Brandy and Co will invade Westeros with a fleet of a thousand ships.

I'll say it straight.

The idea that the Kingdoms of the Ifeqevron have anything to do with Brandon the Shipwright is utter nonsense.

For one, Ifeqevron is right next to Ibben. The Ibbenese have regular contact with Westeros, and if Brandon made it all the way to Ifeqevron, then he could easily have sent word to Westeros via the Ibbenese.

Another point is that Ifeqevron is like 90% around the world from where Brandon set out. If he made it to there it would be like Magellan making it all the way from Europe to America to Japan to Palestine and ending somewhere around Greece only to set up a kingdom just a hop skip and a jump from where he started.

In short, a Northman kingdom at Ifeqevron doesnt make sense, and if it did exist it would be in regular trade contact with the North. It would not be a mysterious hidden kingdom like Ifeqevron.

So that theory is dead in the water.

No, it's not. It's still alive and kicking. Especially since you don't have anything new to bring to the table and I already refuted al your old points in the original thread about the Ifeqevron (I'll link to the post):

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/85348-kingdoms-of-the-ifeqevron/?p=4718502

Personally, I believe Brandon reached Ice and Fire America, and his colony probably perished like the first American colonies did in the real world.

Talking about utter nonsense, this is a prime example. There is no indication whatsoever that there is an equivalent to America on Planetos, and yet you believe that GRRM is just going to pull one out of his ass to plant Brandon's fleet in!

Honestly, I get that you don't believe in the Ifeqevron=Northern survivors theory and that is your prerogative but that doesn't change the fact that the idea makes a lot more sense than your "new continent". At the very least the "tCotF" and "the Northern survivors" hypothesis' answer questions instead of raising new ones. This is after all ASOIAF not Lost.

Weirdly enough, Asshai is not necessarily the easternmost point of Essos. Lands of Ice and Fire cuts off with presumably plenty of the Essos landmass still to go.

The mystery surrounding the geography of asoiaf is of more interest to me than any plot point of the entire story for some reason :)

In theory the Land of Always Winter would correspond to the Arctic Circle or Antarctica. It is possible that Westeros is connected to other continents to the West via the north. We know that Lonely Light is about 8 days sail from Pyke and that the Ironborn reave rather far to the East so I would suspect that they either found something they did not want to share (maybe the Others have already overrun the other hemisphere or are being driven out by its inhabitants?) or there is a vast Pacific-like ocean and they found no land.

Other possibility: their world is hollow and there is a large connection to an inside or outside, leaving any who find it and return to tell the tale thought mad

This is something that intrigues me highly. Sadly, unless Martin decides to write the Westerosi version of Christopher Columbus's voyage we probably will never know. Plus, if it was revealed that there was something beyond the Sunset Sea it would take a little from the majesty/sadness of the term since sunset implies finality and parting.

Over the seas between Estos and Westeros is a strange and beautiful land, where the people eschew titles of nobility, pay for their own health care, sing a bar song for their national anthem, hold a turkey festival in autumn, and celebrate a Festivus for the rest of us.

It is known.

Archived