The Irony of Dany and the Slaves

Kennedy the Keen

Does anyone else notice the irony of Dany freeing the slaves and being the "freer of slaves". When she is a Targ.

The Doom was brought about (either by the gods, acts of nature, or the Faceless men of bravos) because of the cruel treatment of slaves gathered around the world.

If the FM were to get a contract for Dany, would they gladly do it because of her heredity or would they think twice since she is freeing slaves?

No I don't see any irony, crimes of the father shouldn't pass down and all that. The Braavosi might want her dead because she's got Dragons, but I think they'd prefer the Dragon's dead, after all, the next rider might not have the same attitude as Dany.

Imo the true irony is, that most her 'free people' are worse of than before!

No, the irony is that this same line was used by former slave owners in the American south after the Civil War to argue that freeing the slaves was a mistake. Change is hard, but freedom is always worth it.

No, the irony is that this same line was used by former slave owners in the American south after the Civil War to argue that freeing the slaves was a mistake. Change is hard, but freedom is always worth it.

Like the freedom the servants in the seven kingdoms have? Oh yeah really great!

No one is gonna throw you in a dungeon for knowing too much, rape, kill or pillage your lands! And the freedom to go whereever they want... and die on the way because they are poor as sh*t!

And not to speak of the pale mare! Totally worth it!

edit: I would also argue, that 98% of the slaves Dany freed, had a way better life before, than the whole lowborn population in the Riverlands during the Wot5k

Just because servants are mistreated doesn't mean slavery is preferable. Two wrongs don't make a right. Again, the same arguments were made in the American south, that freedom was riskier and more dangerous for blacks...just sayin'.

The Doom was brought about (either by the gods, acts of nature, or the Faceless men of bravos) because of the cruel treatment of slaves gathered around the world.

Is this certain? I had assumed the volcanoes simply blew. Is there an SSM to support this assertion?

'Freeing' a 100.000 people and leading them out into a freaking desert, without thinking about the consequences for a second, is not only moronic but cruel imo.

I would rather eat as a slave, than starve as a free person!

Nothing cruel about it. Dany didn't make them follow her, they chose to do it.

But yeah, getting your balls chopped off, your humanity taken, being forced to kill a puppy and never having a childhood is way more preferable than freedom.

Is this certain? I had assumed the volcanoes simply blew. Is there an SSM to support this assertion?

It's just a theory, Bravos was the safe haven for all that avoided being enslaved by Valyria.

I think that the history between the Valyrian blood line and the FM will play a large part in the future story lines(considering that 2 POV characters happen to be associated with them).

I forgot the exact link where I was reading about it. But the FM originally started by giving the gift of death to the slaves who prayed for it.

I also believe that hardhome and the Doom of Valyria are link via the god of many faces.

Maybe google search Hardhome Doom of Valyria aSoFaI.westeros.org

Imo the true irony is, that most her 'free people' are worse of than before!

The Irony is that the Targs were know to be the most cruel slave masters, sending hundreds of thousands into the 14 flames to mine until they died. Now the last remaining Targ(on Essos) is now Freeing all the Slaves, so be it if there life worse, they are still freemen.

I just wanted to bring Bravos and the FM into the picture, to see what kind of responses I would get... See if anyone is thinking similarly to myself.

It would be cool to see Arya try and take out Dany. It is a true SoFaI!

'Freeing' a 100.000 people and leading them out into a freaking desert, without thinking about the consequences for a second, is not only moronic but cruel imo.

I would rather eat as a slave, than starve as a free person!

I remember an old story about some dude named Moses doing the same thing. Am trying to remember the ending. Can't remember whether it all ended well.

The topic has devolved a bit, however, no I don't think the FM should support the 'destruction of Dany' simply because.

The Valyrian Dynasty has dwindled to next to nothing. The remaining ancestors of the Valyrians are dwelling in Volantis, the Tigers and the Elephants, no? What do they possess? That's right, slaves. The Ghiscari and their ancestry, what do they advocate as a primary means of their wealth? That's right, slaves, or the breeding and training thereof.

The fact and irony is, Slavery still exists and is getting 1/2 of Planetos in an uproar because of Daenerys. The FM have a real quandary on their hands. Their religion began during Valyria's rise, they fled to Braavos as a result of Valyria's power, but it wasn't Dragons who enslaved peoples, it was men/women, people with power who abused it in taking the stance that some other's life was less important/significant than their own because they weren't born of powerful ancestry. Dragons merely served as the tool used to keep the slaves from revolting.

Now, you have Dragons within the world once again only this time, led by someone of Valyrian descent, yet who is completely against enslavement. If you truly hold to your belief system(s), Daenerys represents a chance for HUGE change towards slavery, not just in one country but in all of planetos. Do you accept a contract to kill her because someone is paying you vast sums of money, or do you support her and actually find it in your interests to protect her so that she can see her aims through? That's the dilemma that the FM 'face'.

This nonsense about slaves being better off before their enslavement ended is ludicrous and represents a lack of vision and foresight. Think about what transpired in Astapor. Had those in power sought to bring about actual fairness, plenty could have been done to ensure no one suffered or went hungry, or were out of house and home. Their skills could have been put to use (as we saw on some small scale) or they could have been retrained in new skills. The problem that existed was purely GREED. I want more of a share than you. That's it, pure and simple. Who sets the value of a trade a slave performs? Most often their masters, but in a free society, who sets the value, that's right, the market sets the value, with some caveats (skill, cost of materials, shipping, etc). Greed and greed alone is what's preventing the freed peoples from prospering, as well as the old Masters who only knew how to make monies from the slave-trade alone. People are refusing to trade or are preventing trade from happening with the freedmen, those people support the slave-trade. When you speak about the haves and the have-nots when there is still supply, the discussion automatically must include greed.

Archived