Randyll Tarly; Nice guys get no rewards

Bronn Urgandy

I am sure most of us readers are familiar with Randyll Tarly, this is the most selfless man in Westeros after all, a stolid beacon of goodwill to all men, yes, and women too.

Randyll Tarly is a man who will lead Mace Tyrells vanguard into battle, defeat his enemies and then let him take all the credit, he doesn't want credit, Randyll is a man who is happy with a job well done. By winning battles he is serving the realm, and that's credit enough for him. Randyll recognises Renly's young group as "Knights of Summer" and offers to lead the vanguard against the hopeless odds of Stannis Baratheons formidable force, citing his experience as a valid reason, and he is rejected in favour of Loras Tyrell, whom Renly calls "the greatest Knight." Poppycock, Randyll stands head and shoulders above the likes of Loras Tyrell.

After all, when Margeary was in trouble who saved her? The Knight of the Flowers? Nah, he was recovering from some burn he got from a candle or something, Tarly stepped up like the real man he is, like a true romantic hero. He made sure the daughter of his liege lord was unmolested and in his care, that, combined with his ending of the game played against Brienne of Tarth shows Randyll as one of Westeros' greatest forward thinkers and a man who truly values and appreciates Women.

Randyll Tarly is the best father in the realm, but he is also its greatest servant, he is so in tune to the needs of the Nights Watch he sent them his first born son and heir, how many other lords would make that sacrifice? We can only assume that he'd been grooming Sam for a role on the Wall all his life, since Sam recalls Randyll taking various fatherly measures to toughen his son up, taking him for seasoning with other high lords, bathing him in blood, chaining him up, all to prepare Sam for this life on the Wall. When Sam said he wanted to become a Maester, Randyll forbade it, he wanted his son to be a man of the Nights Watch, not some grey rat. If he ever appeared harsh and distant, it can only be because he knew one day he'd have to send this son away, this son he cherished so much, and he must have cherished him, because nobody who gets to over 300lbs of fat has ever wanted for anything. I always think that the Deers heart he showed Sam before shipping him off the Wall was a token of love from old Randyll.

Some lords ship a hundred men to the wall, Bronze Royce sent his thirdborn, Eddard Stark sent the bastard that his wife didn't want around, but the man who gives up his firstborn son gives a greater gift than all. This is a man who clearly values his family and the contributions they could make, contrast that with Davos Seaworth, who will happily allow his children to live and die as servants with inferior pine casks while he collects Lordship after Lordship. When was the last time Randyll asked for a Lordship? Thats right, he doesn't, he isn't in this for himself.

What rewards does Randyll get for his services? Does his Queen command him to fuck her, like Daenerys with Daario? Does his Queen put out for services rendered like Cersie with the Kettleblacks? No!

Unless Margeary is giving Randyll some serious reward for rescuing her from the High Septon right now, or throwing the considerable wealth of Highgarden at him, Randyll is proof that nice guys get no rewards.

What rewards does Randyll get for his services? Does his Queen command him to fuck her, like Daenerys with Daario? Does his Queen put out for services rendered like Cersie with the Kettleblacks? No!

Unless Margeary is giving Randyll some serious reward for rescuing her from the High Septon right now, Randyll is proof that nice guys never get the girl.

Totally. Also, he didn't rape her, which I'm sure he could have, he must be stronger than her and her bro is far away and crispy. And we know that a woman who doesn't reward a man with lots of sex, love, babies and gratitude blowjobs for being a hero and not raping her is terribly ungrateful. For shame.

Totally. Also, he didn't rape her, which I'm sure he could have, he must be stronger than her and her bro is far away and crispy. And we know that a woman who doesn't reward a man with lots of sex, love, babies and gratitude blowjobs for being a hero and not raping her is terribly ungrateful. For shame.

Exactly!

Who's to say that Lord Randyll doesn't get the girl, in this case Lady Olenna?

Har.

If thats more to the mans taste, I won't mock him for it.

This is a perfect exemple of how history can be written to fit one side without really creating fasle facts. Lets say Ranly is a hero during the last battles against humanity's enemy, this is how his story will be written.

Thats good, I like stories to be told as brutally honestly as possible.

Brilliant :D

Let's not forget that Lord Tarly is also very religious - he swore a Holy Oath to the High Sparrow.

And he helped the smallfolk by executing the outlaws at Maidenpool.

He's a just man, I guarantee he's offered to champion Margeary in her trial.

Bah, Randyl Tarly has no use for women.

Randyl is clearly a man's man and is dedicated to his non-sexual Life Partner Mace Tyrell. Forever.

A Brofist that shall stand the test of time.

Cersie should take tips from Mace in how to secure loyalty without using feminine wiles (that we know of)

Even better than the Janos Slynt topic. I like it.

Oh it's not ungrateful, it's selfish, where as Randal is selfless. The selfless hero needs no reward, though courtesy would indicate it should be offered. I selflessly took out the trash this morning, you know what my reward was? Nothing, no gratitude BJ's or anything. It's a hard cruel world, but one must endure, one will endure, the trash will go out again.

Oh it's not ungrateful, it's selfish, where as Randal is selfless. The selfless hero needs no reward, though courtesy would indicate it should be offered. I selflessly took out the trash this morning, you know what my reward was? Nothing, no gratitude BJ's or anything. It's a hard cruel world, but one must endure, one will endure, the trash will go out again.

You know Osney Kettleblack is getting all that and he's only promised to take the trash out, as yet no trash has actually gone out.

Curse the life of the Beta male.

He is also considerate towards his wife, specifically mentioning to Sam that he would not like to upset her. What a contrast to other characters, Jon Arryn wants to foster his child against his wife's wishes, Ned forces his wife to live under the same roof as his bastard, Edmure doesn't wonder why his wife is sobbing on their wedding night, and let's not get into Roberts abuse. Randall is clearly the husband any Westorosi noblewoman would want.

Do not forget his selfless duty to the realms at maiden pool. Instead of savoring a victory, or taking some much needed rest, he chooses to serve the people by holding court.

Not only that he gives Brienne some excellent tough love advice trying once again to protect her. If she had only listened, she would not have her face chewed off, or been strung up by lady stoneheart.

It's obvious to me that Lord Tarly is TPTWP and AA reborn and the Last Hero.

And let us not forget how he chained Sam to the wall in order to demonstrate how heavy a burden a chain is on a maester. Such a caring father.

Of course he loves his son. We have a clear example here.

Lord Tarly warns his son that he will have a hunting accident.

Cersei on the other hand never warned Robert....

And to think some people actually like Cersei more.... What does that say about them?

Honestly, there is only one actor out there that is qualified to portray both the self-discipline, self-sacrificing, efficient, and noble nature that is Randyll Tarly. Simply, GOT needs to hire R. Lee Ermery as only he could portray the hard work and love that Randyll putt in during his attempts to properly father Gomer Samwell.

Yeah, and I'm sure he only made Sam take the black to teach him some important life lessons. :rolleyes:

Randyll is a secret Targ, thus he had a dragon dream that in order for Sam to get laid he would need to join the NW and save Gilly.

Archived