Dornishmen's Wife

GallowsKnight

• 2 weeks later...

So far we've had the Rains of Castamere in Season 2 and the Bear and the Maiden Fair in Season 3.

With the Oberyn of Oberyn Martell do you think we'll get the Dornishmen's Wife played on screen and/or over the Credits?

They shoot most of the time in Ireland, and for the Bear and the Maiden Fair they did not pick Celtic music, the name of the song even sounds Celtic.

I am still mighty downcast about that!

Castamere sounds , well sort of, Medieval... so ok.

Dornishmen's Wife something Basque I think.

Last year, appart from the shitty version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", we also had patchface's song (but by Shireen), maybe this season we have The Last of the Giants too, it will be a good song for episode 9 credits.

Last of the Giants should play after the assault on castle black in S4ep9, The Dornishman's wife should play after episode 6/7/Greg+Oby fight. Oby getting his face punched into pulp after seemingly "winning" will be as sudden & unexpected a last moment ending as Jaime losing his hand and roll credits rock version of Bear&MaidenFair.

I figured Joffrey would have them play The Dornishman's Wife at the wedding to mess with Oberyn.

Sigur Ros will be playing at the PW, this is were we will first hear part of the song, but I think the full song will be reserved for Oberyn's death (played over the credits).

Sigur Ros will be playing at the PW, this is were we will first hear part of the song, but I think the full song will be reserved for Oberyn's death (played over the credits).

Ah yes that's certainly how it could play out. I like how they're not only incorporating the songs from the books, but as part of the soundtrack and by having characters sing them in the context of the scenes. I actually like the punk version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair.

I absolutely love this version of Dornishmen's Wife and every since I heard it can't imagine any other. I think Martin was impressed by it as well.

I think it's a great rendition and she's an amazing singer.

But I feel it kind of missed the point of the song, it's far too downbeat. I always imagined it being rowdier. He's dead but happy because he tasted the Dornishmen's wife.

I think it's a great rendition and she's an amazing singer.

But I feel it kind of missed the point of the song, it's far too downbeat. I always imagined it being rowdier. He's dead but happy because he tasted the Dornishmen's wife.

Yes, most of youtube version are kinda, sad, depressing and too "formal", when the meaning of the song is the complete oposite, live life at it's fullest and don't regret anything. I can't imagine Karliene's version being sung at a tavern by drunk mens :D

As much as I love Karliene's version, this one is my favorite, and, in my opinion, the one that capture the meaning of the song the best

• 3 weeks later...

I always imagined the dornishman's wife to be a bit like waltzing matilda, you don't realise it's a sad song until you really listen to the words

Exactly this^. Have extra internet points for making the connection to 'Waltzing Matilda'.

It feels like a drunken tavern song and yet I felt that sad, softer interpretation when Jon walks into Mance's tent and Mance is playing it.

Archived