NBC's Hannibal III: Swimming in blood and emptiness

Tony Soprano

He's been wounded and betrayed. He was giving Will what was in his mind an epic adventure/better life and Will was trying to bring him down. He's not made for a cage so imprisoning him is as bad as plotting to murder him. Though, I took Will calling him to mean he'd rather he escape than be murdered by Jack.

It's not really the murder or imprisoning attempt. After all, Will came closer to killing him earlier in the season and Hannibal didn't see to care that much. It's the betrayal coupled with the fact that he let his guard down that's upset him. That said, Hannibal's 'looks' have been some of the best looks I've seen on TV. And the one he gave Abigail is really interesting. He followed it with "You thought you could change me?", so it might have been that he realized that Will really did change him a bit. But then he killed Abigail, so... I don't know.

Anyway, this season really tops True Detectives in my mind, especially the finale. It was so brutal I was honestly expecting Will to wake up from a dream or something.

Anyway, this season really tops True Detectives in my mind, especially the finale. It was so brutal I was honestly expecting Will to wake up from a dream or something.

:agree:

Fuller on season 3,

Season 3 is going to be a lot of fun because it's going to be taking a lot of disparate elements from the novel Hannibal Rising and the novel Hannibal and mashing them up together as part of the thrust of the season. It's going to be fun to bastardize two novels into one sort of Frankenstein season. I will brace everybody right now: We're significantly changing the Hannibal origin story from Hannibal Rising.

Phew... Very interesting.

Eta: Both TD and Hannibal had more aesthetics than substance tbh, but I liked Hannibal more.

It's not really the murder or imprisoning attempt. After all, Will came closer to killing him earlier in the season and Hannibal didn't see to care that much. It's the betrayal coupled with the fact that he let his guard down that's upset him. That said, Hannibal's 'looks' have been some of the best looks I've seen on TV. And the one he gave Abigail is really interesting. He followed it with "You thought you could change me?", so it might have been that he realized that Will really did change him a bit. But then he killed Abigail, so... I don't know.

I like how you put it! Lol, his face when confronting Will after his near-crucifixion was amusing...a little offended, more at the rudeness and shacking up with another psycho...who seemed rather infatuated with Will, but also kind of amused because he's wanted Will to do something bloodthirsty. He was practically bouncing when Will almost shot the horse crawler.

I think he realized Will changed him a little bit. He's way more emotional (for him) in latter S2 than in S1. Also, when he starts giving Will that stream speech, you can see a tear trailing down his nose. I thought it was sweat until I rewinded it, but it definitely rolls out of his eye. Killing Abigail was in part punishing Will and I guess "reshattering the teacup." But, he's still pretty shaken (for him) when he walks into the rain. It's only when he starts walking again that he's iced back over. He also looked pretty glum on the plane. Of course, I might totally be misreading.

I'm definitely in the 'liked Hannibal more' camp with True Detective. That was great while I was watching it, but despite being superbly written, shot, acted and constructed all-round, in the end it was a really high-quality execution of a totally ordinary story. Almost all the appeal lay in the speculation and once the questions were answered, it's failed to stay with me much.
Hannibal's more uneven, more obviously cobbled-together in places, but it's more interesting.

^ In total agreement. I really like TD too but Hannibal is just so...je ne sais quoi.

I like how it's willing to get pretty out there with the artistry...just self-aware enough not to seem pretentious, but willing to try things some people won't like.

What a fantastic finale, I was crawling out of my skin at the end! Hamlet with murder husbands breaking up. Mads and Hugh both deserve an armload of awards.

A great moment was Hannibal taunting "did you think you could change me, the way I changed you?" And Will uttering back "I already did." To my memory Hannibal's never said anything like that about himself. I'm not saying Will "brought out the best in him" or anything, but I don't think he would've said that if he hadn't started to suspect Will was having an unintended effect on him. Hence his jilted loverness at the end.

This appeared in my newsfeed:

How do you wound the emotionally dead?
Teach him how to feel again.
"Did you really think you could change me?"
"I already did."

I think it's worth noting that at some stage between the end of season 1 and the middle of season 2, Hannibal stopped doing things just to see what would happen and started doing things with seducing Will in mind, so yes, Will changed him.

And if you watch closely, you can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.

Yes, and you can feel it too.

When the villain kills the four heroes and you still feel heartbreak for said villain, that is masterful acting.

One of the many things that got me was Will's eye contact. When Hannibal confronted him, Will had to know what was coming. He had time to resist or escape but he didn't, this man who has trouble with eye contact with others just looked Hannibal right in the eyes and waited. Even after he was gutted he didn't look away until Hannibal pulled him close into a hug.

Only when he realized Abigail was going to be killed that he started begging and pleading.

Damn, this show.

I'm definitely in the 'liked Hannibal more' camp with True Detective. That was great while I was watching it, but despite being superbly written, shot, acted and constructed all-round, in the end it was a really high-quality execution of a totally ordinary story. Almost all the appeal lay in the speculation and once the questions were answered, it's failed to stay with me much.

Hannibal's more uneven, more obviously cobbled-together in places, but it's more interesting.

When True detective is at the top of its game Hannibal can't touch it but Hannibal had a far more satisfying conclusion where everything earlier in the season came to a head in the finale. Not so much with True Detective.

The eye contact theory is very interesting.

Not that he was being hypnotized or anything, just that it showed the intimacy and intensity of their friendship even as they were breaking up.

It just shows how much Will "trusts" Hannibal in terms of being open with him. Obviously he doesn't trust him but weirdly he can be more honest with him than with others as I think he avoids eye contact because he doesn't want to look too deeply into strangers. With Hannibal he's well past that stage.

Anyone else bothered by the "I took your bullets" moment? Of course it's possible that Alana never checked or practiced her gun since they last met, but for him to count on it, to be so confident that she doesn't have any bullets to the point of risking his lfe?

Anyone else bothered by the "I took your bullets" moment? Of course it's possible that Alana never checked or practiced her gun since they last met, but for him to count on it, to be so confident that she doesn't have any bullets to the point of risking his lfe?

Yeah. It would have made more sense if he added blanks.

But then the Abigail reveal might not have worked.

A Bryan Fuller interview re: the finale and Hannibal in general. (avclub)

So, at least one dies, at least one lives.

Beverly might have seen Abigail in Hannibal's basement (it had actually sort of crossed my mind, that it was either the girl or the remains of the girl)

Season 3 might have Hannibal in Europe, really looking forward to that.

TD and Hannibal? Difficult choice. TD's first half was just wonderful, unlike anything I had seen on TV. In the end, I think season 2 of Hannibal wins for me but it might be because it was so recent and because you can't beat that amazing finale. I think the problem with TD at some point was the hype: too many people went crazy overanalysing it, making tons of theories, looking for conspiracies and hints and everything etc, and in the end it was all very straightforward and that felt like a let-down.

If the gun was loaded he would've smelled the bullets.

Probably a bad question, but what is the moment when the teacup shatters???

When he smelled Freddy, maybe? Or Abigail's big reappearance? I think the whole thing is pretty subjective, unless Bryan Fuller himself comes forward with his original idea.

Archived