Was Maester Aemon right?

sj4iy

First off, I like Aemon. A lot. But I think he made a mistake due to some misconceptions he has that eventually led to the downfall of his house.

When he was called on to become King, he should have taken it. Why? Well, it's not because he should have known that one day there would be a crazy relative of his that would destroy his family's dynasty, it's because of what he is and always has been: a servant.

Aemon said that he turned down becoming a King because he always felt that it was his role to serve, and not to rule. But that's exactly what a King is supposed to be: a servant. A servant to his people and to his country. I don't believe Aemon turned it down because of any vows he had taken...I think he turned it down because he was intimidated by the prospect of becoming a King and preferred a simple life. But I don't think he was right in doing so. I think, if he truly felt that his role is that of a servant, then he should have served his people.

What do you think?

I think he would have been a great king, probably one of the best. I mean Egg was a pretty great king too for trying to help the poor, but I feel he lacked wisdom. I'd love it if Egg and Aemon ruled the realm together like Egg originally wanted. You'd have both a wise man who's very kind and a man with a huge heart in power. You couldn't ask for a perfect set of brothers to rule a kingdom, IMO

It's a hard call. Aemon would have had a pretty good understanding the burden of kingship just from observation by the time he was offered the crown, and it's very possible he knew he simply wasn't suited for it. There could be a whole host of reasons why, though the obvious one was that he probably knew he could never "kill the boy and let the man be born" in order to do the job properly. Aemon is a sweet guy, and may have felt he lacked the decisive instinct needed to be a strong king.

Now, I have always been confused why exactly Aemon felt the need to join the NW. His stated reason was so he couldn't be used in any plots against Aegon, but how exactly would that have worked? If he had openly worked with Aegon and had no sons of his own, how would a coup have even been practical, let alone likely?

Are you guys talking about the same Aegon that burn down Summerhall and killed most his family trying to hatch a dragon egg??? Thats not a good king...

Aemon would potentially have been a good king, but he may have gotten caught up in Targ prophecies and such as well, since we know he was into that sort of stuff with Rhaegar.

Are you guys talking about the same Aegon that burn down Summerhall and killed most his family trying to hatch a dragon egg??? Thats not a good king...

Aemon would potentially have been a good king, but he may have gotten caught up in Targ prophecies and such as well, since we know he was into that sort of stuff with Rhaegar.

We don't know the full story about that yet. If anything this series has taught me it's never believe any information you're given second hand. This entire series is filled with fake and half true stories about other plot lines going on in the world.

It's a hard call. Aemon would have had a pretty good understanding the burden of kingship just from observation by the time he was offered the crown, and it's very possible he knew he simply wasn't suited for it. There could be a whole host of reasons why, though the obvious one was that he probably knew he could never "kill the boy and let the man be born" in order to do the job properly. Aemon is a sweet guy, and may have felt he lacked the decisive instinct needed to be a strong king.

Now, I have always been confused why exactly Aemon felt the need to join the NW. His stated reason was so he couldn't be used in any plots against Aegon, but how exactly would that have worked? If he had openly worked with Aegon and had no sons of his own, how would a coup have even been practical, let alone likely?

Well, if Aegon wanted Aemom to be Grand Maester, some would genuinely see it as nepotism, and even others who knew it wasn't would claim otherwise out of jealousy or their own ambitions. Things like that can be used to smear someone.

That's just one thought of the top of my head.

Well, if Aegon wanted Aemom to be Grand Maester, some would genuinely see it as nepotism, and even others who knew it wasn't would claim otherwise out of jealousy or their own ambitions. Things like that can be used to smear someone.

That's just one thought of the top of my head.

The Targaryen had been naming their own family Hands and such. And Tywin was Joffrey's Hand. Don't see the problem, really.

The Targaryen had been naming their own family Hands and such. And Tywin was Joffrey's Hand. Don't see the problem, really.

It's not that there's a problem with Aemom serving as Grand Maester, so much as he'd be aware that the moment things go wrong, people will accuse Egg of not being a good ruler and instead just looking after his own. Doesn't matter whether it's true; perception is reality.

I think a part of it is simply just Aemon knowing that Aegon needed him to leave, even if he didn't know it. Aegon hadn't been groomed to rule, and would have looked to Aemom - "an Aegon, not an Egg; kill the boy and let the man be born".

First off, I like Aemon. A lot. But I think he made a mistake due to some misconceptions he has that eventually led to the downfall of his house.

When he was called on to become King, he should have taken it. Why? Well, it's not because he should have known that one day there would be a crazy relative of his that would destroy his family's dynasty, it's because of what he is and always has been: a servant.

Aemon said that he turned down becoming a King because he always felt that it was his role to serve, and not to rule. But that's exactly what a King is supposed to be: a servant. A servant to his people and to his country. I don't believe Aemon turned it down because of any vows he had taken...I think he turned it down because he was intimidated by the prospect of becoming a King and preferred a simple life. But I don't think he was right in doing so. I think, if he truly felt that his role is that of a servant, then he should have served his people.

What do you think?

I agree with your philosophical approach to Kingship. you are right, whether, King, Premier, President... Serve, do not seek to be served. That leads to Tyrany. Serve leads to prosperity for all when it is pursued from the top.

(Spoilers ahead!!!). He made the right choice, sure he would have been a great king, maybe the political matters of westeros would be in a better state. That is not what truly matters though. Aemon was at the wall, where he counseled Jon snow, which was one of the big factors in Jon not leaving the nights watch. Jon being at the wall for the battle against the wildlings was one of the most important things in the series, along with his acceptance of the wildlings while in the role of LC. The others are the "true threat" to the realm and Jon's efforts have at least seemingly saved a great deal of people from becoming wights. (And if he survives he may have more major impacts on the story)

It is my firm belief that if aemon had not had his talks with Jon, Jon would not have stayed in the nights watch.

The only thing that I think aemon was wrong about is that daenerys is "the one"

The whole time aemon felt bad because he was too old to go counsel his targ family resurrector while he was already doing it at the wall without even knowing it. ]:)

What do you think?

I agree with you. The King should be the ultimate servant, serving his people justly and wisely. I think Aemon would have been a good king.

I agree with you. The King should be the ultimate servant, serving his people justly and wisely. I think Aemon would have been a good king.

I think he'd have been a better Hand than King. The former just seems more suited to him. If not for his Maester's Chain then I'd agree that Aegon IV as King with his brother Aemom as Hand to effectively govern with him would likely have been good for the realm.

Aemon is one of my favourite characters from the books. There's so much tragedy there. Lives to be over 100; has no children of his own - but he has been around descendants (or at least corresponded with) such as Rhaegar. And possibly Jon Snow. Jon needs him at The Wall, but sends him away to save his life - an act that hastens Aemon's death and sees Jon lose another paternal figure, one who clearly empathises with and supports him. And then in his final days, while with fever and senile, he hears of Dany and her dragons - and cannot help her.

Aemon's story is actually fucking heartbreaking on a few levels.

I think he'd have been a better Hand than King. The former just seems more suited to him. If not for his Maester's Chain then I'd agree that Aegon IV as King with his brother Aemom as Hand to effectively govern with him would likely have been good for the realm.

Aemon is one of my favourite characters from the books. There's so much tragedy there. Lives to be over 100; has no children of his own - but he has been around descendants (or at least corresponded with) such as Rhaegar. And possibly Jon Snow. Jon needs him at The Wall, but sends him away to save his life - an act that hastens Aemon's death and sees Jon lose another paternal figure, one who clearly empathises with and supports him. And then in his final days, while with fever and senior, he hears of Dany and her dragons - and cannot help her.

Aemon's story is actually fucking heartbreaking on a few levels.

I hadn't considered Hand, but yeah he would have been amazing in that regard as well. He would probably be more suited in the "background" role as it were. The King is the face of the realm, but the Hand, as we have seen, has just as much power and control.

And I also agree that his story is pretty heartbreaking.

Aemon definitely should have taken his shot at being king or at least stayed in King's Landing and helped his brother rule. I love him as a character and his contributions he's given to Jon's and Sam's characters, but overall he didn't really do the Watch a whole lot of good as maester. At the end of his tenure, the Watch was woefully undermanned with incompetent and unworthy leaders besides a handful. His counsel didn't stop Jeor Mormont from a disastrous ranging, when meeting and treating with Mance would have been a much better plan of action.

While Aegon's sons all chose love over politics in their decision-making, having Aemon there for counsel as well might have curtailed some of the more politically disastrous decisions of the Targaryens in that era. Many sons make decisions opposite their fathers' will just out of spite for their fathers. Sometimes an uncle's advice goes further than a father's orders.

Jon and Sam and the other younger Night's Watch members have only realized who the true enemy is after most of their leaders have died anyway, so I'm not sure how effective Aemon has been stashed away in the North. You can only tell men like Bowen Marsh, Alliser Thorne and Thoren Smallwood so much. Most of them seem to have resented any input Aemon presented them with anyway.

To say that 'x' would of been a good/great king is impossible to guess. It's mentioned in regard to Robb once he put the crown on he changed, power will and always will bend those who seek it regardless of intentions. Heavy wears the crown.

As varys says.

"When I see what truly just and honorable men get." or similar to those lines its when he is talkin' to ned in the black cells season 1.

The realm suffers through the choices these truly good men make.

I hadn't considered Hand, but yeah he would have been amazing in that regard as well. He would probably be more suited in the "background" role as it were. The King is the face of the realm, but the Hand, as we have seen, has just as much power and control.

And I also agree that his story is pretty heartbreaking.

Sometimes I think the Hands of the King are better suited to be Kings because they are the only redeeming thing about the Kings themselves. Davos and Ned, both are better men than their Kings, and when the Kings make bad decisions, it's because they don't listen to their Hands. Sometimes the best leaders are those who never sought the position. I could see Aemon being the same way. However, as Hand or King, I think Aemon would have been effective in his position and helped the realm more than he has at the Wall.

Grand Maester's are different though. From the way it is tapked about after Pycelle.is thrown in the Black Cells, the Citadel appoints the Grand Maester, not the King. So if Aegon appointed him ad the GM it may have caused conflict

Archived