What change from the books would you LIKE to see the show make? (Please keep it plausible)

A lot of my wish list is based on a desire to see new characters folded into existing ones (more Joe Dempsie and Ciaran Hinds, please and thank you). I am an odd man out as far as book lovers go because as much as I love the Kingsmoot, Dorne shenanigans and various otherworldly events, if I were D&D, I'd take a scythe to 2/3 of aFFC and aDwD apiece and never look back.

[...]

- If Wyman Manderly is not going to be introduced, substitute the Mormonts, Karstarks…..or Reeds…..instead.

Amen to the first bolded part. For all the nice worldbuilding that was done in book 4 and 5, for TV, we're going to need a scythe for the books and some fire for the bridges.

As for the second bolded part: That... would... be... AWESOME! I would love the hell out of that (and it would give viewers a nice introduction to the ghost that is Howland Reed).

Thought of two more:

- Myranda acts as fake Arya instead of Jeyne Poole. Partway through the masquerade, Ramsay starts to become vicious and abusive to her, destroying her illusion of being his equal. She eventually grows as terrorized as Theon, and begs him for help, which is emotionally complex because she assisted in his castration and gives him the opportunity to show capacity for forgiveness.

- Bracken/Blackwood conflict is cut. The entire Riverlands arc should take no more than two episodes, and cover Edmure and the other Tully/Stark prisoners being held by Walder Frey (seriously, did they even get a mention in Season 4?) and the members of the Brotherhood (commanded by the Blackfish) who are already plotting revenge from within Riverrun.

Cut most of Brienne's travelling and Tyrion's. All that Brienne needs to do is be available late in the season to meet up with Jaime again. That can be for the Blackfish/BWB, or Lady Stoneheart/BWB.

Skip Quentin.

For things I want ADDED, I want to SEE Davos' journey to find Rickon. Have him interact with Osha and Rickon and Shaggydog. Viewers need to be reminded that kid still exists.

I think brienne's traveling is important as it shows what's happening with the smallfolk. Brienne sees sparrows and corpses and meets peasants and doesnt show you things from a lord's perspective. They cut a lot of arya's travels already.

I think brienne's traveling is important as it shows what's happening with the smallfolk. Brienne sees sparrows and corpses and meets peasants and doesnt show you things from a lord's perspective. They cut a lot of arya's travels already.

No one said they should cut all the travels. I think they can establish that the war hurt the smallfolk in one episode, maybe a montage. Everyone loves a montage.

:agree:

Few things about Season 5 would make me happier than the absence of the ridiculous "glamour"/burning-of-Mance-but-oh-wait-it's-actually-Rattleshirt nonsense. That rather clumsy fake-out was perhaps my single least-favorite moment in A Dance With Dragons - a book that I really did enjoy a great deal, despite its much-debated issues. Both A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons featured several scenes where characters were reported to be dead and later revealed to be alive (Davos), or else left in extremely perilous situations before later turning up alive (Brienne, possibly Jon depending on TWOW). But the Mance fake-out was the only one of those that actually inspired me to groan aloud, even if I had always suspected in the back of my mind that he wasn't actually dead. In general, the show has toned down some of the more overtly magical moments from the series, and we haven't even seen Rattleshirt since "Valar Dohaeris", so I'm hopeful the whole "glamour" angle will be dispensed with entirely. Yet until it's confirmed, I'll remain wary.

Jon and/or Melisandre can still send Mance to Winterfell without faking his death if necessary. Alternatively, as you suggest, he could remain at the Wall - I think that his interactions with Jon and Stannis have the potential to be highly interesting. Anything but the "glamour" (I keep bracketing that word in quotes because I can't take it, or the idea behind it, seriously).

To be honest, everything about Melissandre is a easy copout device for GRRM to finalize and end certain events. Nothing bothered me more than how Stannis managed to obtain all of Renlys men and kill him off, as well as Penrose by creating shadow babies. Mel destroys Stannis' story and chapters to be honest.

I'd like a new but well developed character.

So far, the original Show characters have been terrible.

I liked Locke.

To be honest, everything about Melissandre is a easy copout device for GRRM to finalize and end certain events. Nothing bothered me more than how Stannis managed to obtain all of Renlys men and kill him off, as well as Penrose by creating shadow babies. Mel destroys Stannis' story and chapters to be honest.

Gods yes! And why only twice? Why not once or thrice? She burns the warg's eagle yet we have no idea how. Just cause Stannis needed a surprise attack.

I liked Locke.

Gods yes! And why only twice? Why not once or thrice? She burns the warg's eagle yet we have no idea how. Just cause Stannis needed a surprise attack.

There we go. I forgot that one. I try to forget about her. It actually kind of hurts the story in my eyes. She's basically winning everything for Stannis. When Stan leaves her behind, he loses. So people complain about D and D not doing him any justice but in a way neither does GRRM in the books.

I liked Locke.

All right, I'll give you Locke. I hadn't thought of him.

He was really cool, and he could have been used much more and better.

• 2 weeks later...

Give Tyrion less screen time. This is not supposed to be 'the Tyrion show and everybody else'. It's supposed to be an ensemble show.

I totally agree with you. Even more, I would like if they reduce Dany's screentime too. Her story in A Dance of Dragons is not a 1 season material and feels stretched.

- Myranda acts as fake Arya instead of Jeyne Poole. Partway through the masquerade, Ramsay starts to become vicious and abusive to her, destroying her illusion of being his equal.

That's actually a good idea.

I'm really excited how they will handle the way too many new characters. They've already announced al lot of the Dorne characters. So, I don't expect to many Iron Islands story arcs that season. Also, Quentin's arc will probably be cut.

What is the difference between a skeleton and an eyeless death skeleton?

dunno, just threw in a couple of adjectives. i supposed a death skeleton is a murderous skeleton, whereas a regular reanimated skeleton might turn out to be the jolly friendly sort.

Archived