Greyjoy Appreciation Thread

The Imperator

Well, he did pay the iron baby price

Plus he was a godly man, and only a godly man may sit the Seastone chair

He's a conservationist - he knows the Others have trouble makin' babies so he gives them his own to replenish their population. He's selflessly preserving the ecosystem beyond the wall!

And I don't think he ever sowed (if anything, his wives did the sowing while he laid back)

hahah sorry i didnt mean to hijack with Craster.. i made another thread for Craster appreciation!

anyway.. yeah theon is epicly written. I mean he knows hes gotta be the conquering badass but hes really a coward of sorts and realizes his father is a coward as well. so he tries to change all that. and despite everything i really have no idea where his story is heading in the next book. i hope GRRM just doesnt kill him off. if so ...ill be seclusion in the west wing until the last book comes out.

Balon's oath was to the Targaryens, he never swore fealty to Robert until after the Greyjoy Rebellion, and he neither did he renew his oath after Robert died. Is Robb a liar because he revolted? And Theon didn't lie to Robb, he did what he had to do, he offered the alliance proposal to Balon, Balon rejected it. He's free to do anything he pleases after that, he has accomplished the mission Robb gave him. He did lie about the miller's children though, but that was the idea of a Northman first. Does that mean all the Northmen are liars?

Victarion doesn't "clearly want power", he wants the end of the Crow's Eye and wants Ironborn tradition to be upheld. All of the points you put against him concern Euron, who he detests for a reason completely different than "ambition".

If he wasn't concerned about power, I don't think he would be so insecure about whether or not he got enough "credit" for the years before when his military plans worked and Euron somewhat "stole" the glory from him (I don't remember what happened in specific). He wants the Old Ways to be upheld indeed - but that's a BAD thing. It's quite convenient for him, as well, to uphold those traditions by going to the Kingsmoot to become the King. He's not purely motivated by greed, but I think it's a pretty important factor when considering Vic's actions.

And unless my understanding was incorrect, there was a point where Balon rebelled under Robert's rule - shortly after he gained the Iron Throne. It even talks about how Balon tried twice but failed to crown himself and I think Asha mentions it at some point during the Kingsmoot.

Robb never revolted. He never bent the knee to Joff in the first place. He acted in self-defense; his father and many northmen were brutally murdered by the Lannisters and his sisters taken captive there. So no, he did not lie.

And yes, Theon still lied to Robb. His allegiance to him was a farce. He was not "free to do whatever" after his mission failed; he was expected to come back with the bad news, and, you know, kind of not conquer and pillage all of his lands. You would have felt betrayed if you were Robb.

Redeem is a matter of opinion, but how are Theon's motives not at least understandable? Think of the situation he grew up in, and the reception he got when he returned home.

I'm also wondering if you judge Tyrion, the cold-blooded killer who wants his daddy's approval, in the same way...

I can understand Theon's motives. It doesn't make him any more correct. I also understand that Hitler was motivated by self-interest, getting rid of religion around the world via genocide and cementing Germany's place as the dominant race/culture, injustices that occurred to him in his upbringing, etc. It doesn't make him right either.

Yeah, Tyrion's murder of his father was pretty bad. I'm not quite sure where Tyrion lies in terms of good and evil, and all of that is relative and subjective, but him killing Tywin isn't really something that should be lauded.

i feel like Ben Kenobi's speech about a certain Point of View applies to the saga perfectly.... and thats what makes it all so good cuz thats how life is.

Sure we all think Hitler is this evil genocidal maniac cuz he posed a severe threat to our way of life. just like the Lannisters do to the Starks and vice versa. but on the other hand. Germany got bent over and raped for simply honoring their alliances in WW1.. so they wanted retribution for those injustices. so said another way. Hitlers rise to power was a product of our own injustices towards Germany.

*our being Britain, USA etc.

and im not a Hitler fan. it just irritates me when people use Nazi Germany as a basis irrationality.

Dagon Greyjoy seems to have been the biggest badass in the family. He kicked Stark and Lannister ass. Dalton Greyjoy was probably a badass too.

Looking at how succesful and badass Dagon was one could at least understand why the Ironborn romanticize the Old Way so much

As much as I shy away from the Greyjoys, I gotta appreciate their naval prowess, their fighting style (come on, axes and shields, that's a badass way to do it), and my Asha and Theon. Asha's friggin awesome, and Theon is mayyyyybe the best-written character in the books. So even I can appreciate me some Greyjoy! In moderation! :P

I feel this thread is kinda trollish but whatever. I think we can like the IB without being labelled "rape apologists" or anything like that. The IB are nothing but the product of an old culture that never evolved. That's why their chapters are interesting, because it's a contrast to "civilized" Westeros, which in reality, isn't any better. Ah, they aren't like the IB, who pillage or kidnap women, but their soldiers are ok with raping and pill-- oh, wait!

I personally like Victarion. He might being called "dumb" but I think he has his own way to be smart. And he can't act different from what he has taught his whole life, but he has shown to have some standards. I can understand why he hates Euron and I hope he gets his revenge.

Archived