The First Law by Joe Abercrombie Vx (spoilers through LAOK for now)

Pilusmagnus

Posted this a while ago.

But this would be my wet dream cast

Logen Ninefingers: tom hardy

Sand dan Glokta: Mads Mikkelsen

Jezal dan Luthar: ewan mcgregor

Collem West: Damian Lewis

Ardee West: Carla Gugino

Ferro Maljinn: Kerry Washington

Bayaz, First of the Magi: Ben Kingsley

Severend: Tom Hiddleston

Bethod: Rory McCann

Dogman: Jude Law

Black Dow: James Purefoy

Shivers: Clive Standen

Threetrees: Ray Stevenson

Cosca: Nathan Fillion

The Navigator: Alan Tudyk

This is a great cast, I always envisioned Vinnie Jones as Black Dow, but Purefoy is genius.

I have just started reading 'The Blade Itself'. I'm about sixty pages in, and so far I am finding it a slog.... it's got plenty of action, but there is so much darkness, misery and depressing-ness, it's not really gripping me; Even GoT has its ten seconds of happiness in Winterfell before all the dark...

It would be interesting to see it turned into a film though; It would be the most depressing film that I had seen since I saw The Phantom Menace.

Maybe I should persevere with the book before I condemn.....

I have just started reading 'The Blade Itself'. I'm about sixty pages in, and so far I am finding it a slog.... it's got plenty of action, but there is so much darkness, misery and depressing-ness, it's not really gripping me; Even GoT has its ten seconds of happiness in Winterfell before all the dark...

It would be interesting to see it turned into a film though; It would be the most depressing film that I had seen since I saw The Phantom Menace.

Maybe I should persevere with the book before I condemn.....

The first book is pretty light in comparison with later installments and other purveyors of "grimdark". It may not be your cup of tea.

In terms of film I weirdly feel like every other book would make an excellent film from the series but I don't think enough really happens in book 1 for it to be a big screen event. It feels more suited to TV for me where the emphasis can be on the characters. The problem then would be that the other books would be far harder to film on a TV budget. Who knows, though - TV is doing impressive work these days and CGI effects can cover a lot up.

It paid off with A Game of Thrones, which is a book twice as big, with at least twice as many characters and much more complex. A 8-episodes season with the same budget would do well enough for The Blade Itself.

And there you have it. It's a lot less complex, and while it has interesting characters, there's really not much going on in book 1. Few people would watch it, I guess.

Do you think it would be realistic to invent languages in a movie/series adaptation? In the books, there seems to be three languages the characters talk in : Northern, Union tongue (that everyone kinda speaks) and Gurkhul. Would those fit in an adaptation? If we consider Union tongue as English, we would not have too much subtitled parts, if we have Bayaz speaking Union with Logen and Bethod. The only scenes in other languages would be the beginning of Ferro's storyline, the beginning of Logen's and the parts with the Dogman's band.

Seems doable.

And there you have it. It's a lot less complex, and while it has interesting characters, there's really not much going on in book 1. Few people would watch it, I guess.

Another solution would be to skim over the first book and have the first film/season deal with part of the sequel. They could still have 3 films/seasons but maybe play around with how they are spaced. The only thing with that is that with book 2

you can't really split the journey over 2 seasons

It's not that I hate book 1 - it's just that I don't think it would translate well to screen without some serious playing around.

Vikings has shown you can have good battles on TV but they are still more skirmish like than what goes down in this series, Then there's the magic as well

Do you think it would be realistic to invent languages in a movie/series adaptation? In the books, there seems to be three languages the characters talk in : Northern, Union tongue (that everyone kinda speaks) and Gurkhul. Would those fit in an adaptation? If we consider Union tongue as English, we would not have too much subtitled parts, if we have Bayaz speaking Union with Logen and Bethod. The only scenes in other languages would be the beginning of Ferro's storyline, the beginning of Logen's and the parts with the Dogman's band.

Seems doable.

They could take the lazy approach and just have people speaking English with funny accents for the "foreign" language bits.

They could take the lazy approach and just have people speaking English with funny accents for the "foreign" language bits.

Like British accent for the civilised Midderland people, Irish for Angland, Scottish for barbaric northerners, Arabian for Gurkhul (cause yknow, theyre like the bad guyz) italian for traders and like guys from the Old Empire and maybe Greek accent for Dagoskans?

And maybe a French accent for Bayaz because like he's so venerable so he has to pronounce strong "R"s...

Yeah, that would be totally terrible.

Like British accent for the civilised Midderland people, Irish for Angland, Scottish for barbaric northerners, Arabian for Gurkhul (cause yknow, theyre like the bad guyz) italian for traders and like guys from the Old Empire and maybe Greek accent for Dagoskans?

And maybe a French accent for Bayaz because like he's so venerable so he has to pronounce strong "R"s...

Yeah, that would be totally terrible.

Yeah, maybe, but by lazy approach I was referring more to the way characters in a movie might be speaking, for example, English with a fake German accent, and the audience is supposed to pretend that they're speaking German. I think this technique has fallen out of favor, but you hear it sometimes in older movies.

Archived