GRRM's UK Editor Jane Johnson re-enforces TWOW unlikely for 2015

Bald_89

I for one would be more content with grrm telling us that Winds will be out around 2019 compared to nothing. I understand ' he has a life', 'grrm is not your bitch', etc, etc, etc, but every time I hear grrm related material is to coincide with 'whatever' to potentially increase revenue/sales I lose a little respect, and patience.

Well he has said he wont be making any appearances until after he has finished TWOW . According to his website his next appearance is set for April 2015. So if what he said about finishing TWOW before making anymore appearances is true the book should have at least been sent for editing and printing by April 2015 but i am not holding my breath .

The scripts for the season 6 have to be written in June-July of 2015.

That season is supposed to be TWOW.

I bet my house the book is finished in the summer of 2015.

I would love for you to be right. However, he has probably completed more than enough to hand over to the writers. He teased back in June about more weddings, two big battles and more tragic/surprising deaths. I'm sure if he isn't finished he would give that info to D&D so they can begin writing ASAP.

It really wouldn't.

What it would do, is lead people to project completion dates based on their own assumptions and maths, and then berate him for 'failing' to meet those. (Heck, people do that *now*.) That's why GRRM doesn't talk about his progress.

I have absolutely no problem with GRRM writing at whatever speed he likes, but I do find it annoying that he refuses to give any progress updates. I know he chooses not to for some reason, but I think a yearly rough update on how many pages he's written would put so many minds at ease.

We have received such an update. His editor reported at the beginning of the year that GRRM had submitted 168 pages to date. When asked in June how many unsubmitted pages he had in addition to this, he answered "some".

There you go. Is your mind now more at ease?

my view is that both tWoW and ADOS are largely written. he is editing them both, has shared both with D&D and its all about optimal timing of release. each year that goes by, more young people get old enough for this subject matter, both in books and HBO. stretching it out expands the customer base significantly. sure, its horrible to think that they stretched it out for some people in their 80's who will sadly die before the books or show come out and will have to rest eternally without knowing if R+L really does =J. but for Random House and HBO, thats a small to zero part of the audience compared to the millions of 14-17 year olds who could get into the series and buy 8 books, a few maps and a bunch of DVD's. serious coin. so book 6 will conveniently come out at the end of season 5, when hype is at its peak. and book 7 will come out in between the end of season 6 and start of season 7. its quite possible that HBO could stretch out the timing of the show too. nothing says it needs to be every spring. if they stick with spring 2015 for season 5, then book six is probably out in time for xmas 2015, so everyone will buy it (and load up on the DVD of season 5, which will surely have some extra scenes and a dunk and egg story too). repeat for season 6 of the show and book 7....

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I was actually hoping for 2015. *sigh

I also hope that I will never have to read another page about Mereen, ever. That's one storyline Martin could try and be done with in about five pages. That might give him time to finish the book by 2015 or 2016. *sigh some more

Not necessarily. ACOK and ASOS both took 2 years for him to write, so I'd say spring 2015 would be the point of no return. Of course, that would rely on George returning to his fastest writing speed for ADOS, and not many people would be willing to bet on that happening.

But when he gets to the final book it should go the fastest.

No way. I'm going with Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. That should send shivers up your spine.

NooooooooooooooooOO! (Darth Vader style).

No really... that's more then shivers. That is horrific. Really, I read the House of.. books, slight below mediocre at best. The Butlerian Jihad, same. But I read them, just because. Then I read Hunters of Dune... eeeeuuuucgcgcgcgh.... that was so bad bad bad. Never picked up the last book. Barred all their stories from existance and Dune only remains as six books from Frank Herbert.

No, those two should never be allowed near asoiaf.....

Archived