Daenerys Stormborn - A Re-read Project Part VI: ADWD

MoIaF

If you have magical powers, you aren't a Mary Sue. You have to use them wisely. You aren't exempt from having to think clearly. You aren't God.

Melisandre is obviously a formidable and talented witch, who equally obviously makes mistakes.

Martin does interesting things with magic. He works on many themes from many sources.

With Melisandre, Stannis, Daenerys, and many others, it isn't just a matter of being careful and trying to avoid mistakes. There are some deep and troubling questions that the characters don't address well. For example, the red woman, like the priests of her religion, has a thoroughly Manichaean view of reality: It is a struggle between the Lord of Light and the Great Other. People have to do whatever is necessary to assure the triumph of the former being. This, at least in Melisandre's case, includes burning other people at the stake. The main problem here isn't that a single evil thing is done to achieve a good result. It isn't even that the "single thing" is repeated and might become a pretty damn common thing. A fundamental question arises. If Rh'llor is so good, why does he require such an inherently bad thing to be done as an act of worship? If the worshipers of the red god truly examined the practices of their religion, would they be sure that the entity to whom they are sacrificing is a god?

Daenerys Targaryen and Stannis Baratheon are not scholars. They do not consider the possibility that their involvement with magic could have unintended consequences, e.g. increasing the power of warlocks and pyromancers. It seems, however, that such consequences are inevitable.

Magic, Sickness, Getting Well, Riding Horses & Dragons

I believe that Daenerys rode Drogon several times during her stay at Dragonstone II. I don’t know exactly what the nature of her illness was. These two matters, however, fit into continuing themes.

I want to go back to some of my early comments, in this reread and elsewhere. Dany has magical abilities. That is clear. The bond with Drogon is evidence of this, but there is much more. Just the fact that the young woman can do anything at all with the beast tell us something important. And we have the event in Daznak’s Pit: One of the most dangerous things anyone can do is to confront a top-of-the-foodchain predator over a kill. If you do this, unless you are in possession of a lethal weapon or some very rapid method of escape, you are committing suicide. Not only does Daenerys survive, she rides the dragon out of Meereen. What is the explanation for this? Other than magic, I don’t think there is one.

The matter of riding, especially Dany’s ability to do it with surpassing skill and essentially no training, deserves attention. I once did a thread on “Dany the Rider.” The OP started this way

She also undergoes an immediate and highly significant change: “And for the first time in hours she forgot to be afraid. Or perhaps it was for the first time ever.” She gets the filly into a trot, then a gallop. Then she jumps a fire. In my thread, posters who maintained that this was unexceptional claimed that the horse was just a very good mount. The rider had to hang on, that’s all. I don’t accept this explanation. For one thing, the rider could have made serious mistakes. She could have panicked and swerved into the crowd. She could have tried to pull up and failed. And she could have fallen off. None of these things happen. The “Well, it was all due to a good horse” argument doesn’t work. Furthermore, wouldn’t an experienced horse have sensed Dany’s initial fear and timidness? Why would the silver have responded to her with anything more than a slow walk?

Riding with the khalasar, Daenerys at first has a horrible time. She is in pain. She has terrible saddle sores. She considers killing herself. Some readers think that her change into a true khaleesi is just a normal progression. She keeps at it and toughens up. Blisters become calluses and riding skill develops with experience. This, however, does not match well with the text. The princess has her second dragon dream. “And the next day, strangely, she did not seem to hurt quite so much.” She touches the largest of the three dragon eggs. “From that hour onward, each day was easier than the one before it.”

There’s a lot more that could be considered—the title khaleesi of the riding men, the association of sex with riding, the continuing importance of the queen’s bond with her silver…Let’s skip over all that and move on to the last Daenerys POV.

Perhaps Daenerys Targaryen eats bad berries or drinks bad water. Maybe the cause of her difficulties lies elsewhere. Whatever explanation you choose, we definitely see another incredibly fast transition. The young lady is at or at least approaching death’s door. The dragon arrives, and she is well. Dany leaps onto Drogon’s back. She doesn’t stumble and weave. She doesn’t grab the scales and pull herself painfully upward. She leaps, much as she vaulted onto the dragon’s back in Daznak’s pit. Then she flies through the air, handling her mount adeptly. There is no mention of any of the previous symptoms. They seem to have departed. Drogon kills a horse. Dany shares the meal, devouring chunks of smoking meat. A healthy appetite—good evidence of a full recovery. One can scarcely say, “Well, that’s the normal progression of a sickness or an infection.”

Very nice observations!

One of the things that stuck out to me in this chapter is that Dany keeps repeating to herself that if she looks back she is lost, yet she spends an awful lot of time looking back to Dragonstone to see how much progress she has made. She even notes that even though she has made some good distance, it still seems as though if she stretched out her arm she could touch it. But then, she turns her back to the place of her birth and walks to Meereen, having all these soliloquies and epiphanies, having some wise realisations (like the poisoning. Had I been her I would not have made the connection between the locusts and Strong Belwas's retching. There was simply not enough time to observe everything). Still, she walks and has all these conversations in her head that are very revealing. With one of the revelations being her apparent acceptance of Fire and Blood.

I meant to comment on this. I had forgotten that she put together everything that happened even with everything that was happening at the time. It's good to see that she still has her wits about her and that her (once) excellent observational skills are back.

BearQueen87 - Dany like you notice Hizzy lust for violence, even with how quickly events where unfolding she still noticed it.

Also, note that Dany names a lot of the same suspects for the poisoning that we do, however, no mention of the Shavepate.

"He wanted Drogon dead. I heard him. “Kill it,” he screamed, “kill the beast,” and the look upon his face was lustful. And Strong Belwas had been on his knees, heaving and shuddering. Poison. It had to be poison. The honeyed locusts. Hizdahr urged them on me, but Belwas ate them all. She had made Hizdahr her king, taken him into her bed, opened the fighting pits for him, he had no reason to want her dead. Yet who else could it have been? Reznak, her perfumed seneschal? The Yunkai’i? The Sons of the Harpy?

Off in the distance, a wolf howled. The sound made her feel sad and lonely, but no less hungry."

Martin does interesting things with magic. He works on many themes from many sources.

With Melisandre, Stannis, Daenerys, and many others, it isn't just a matter of being careful and trying to avoid mistakes. There are some deep and troubling questions that the characters don't address well. For example, the red woman, like the priests of her religion, has a thoroughly Manichaean view of reality: It is a struggle between the Lord of Light and the Great Other. People have to do whatever is necessary to assure the triumph of the former being. This, at least in Melisandre's case, includes burning other people at the stake. The main problem here isn't that a single evil thing is done to achieve a good result. It isn't even that the "single thing" is repeated and might become a pretty damn common thing. A fundamental question arises. If Rh'llor is so good, why does he require such an inherently bad thing to be done as an act of worship? If the worshipers of the red god truly examined the practices of their religion, would they be sure that the entity to whom they are sacrificing is a god?

Daenerys Targaryen and Stannis Baratheon are not scholars. They do not consider the possibility that their involvement with magic could have unintended consequences, e.g. increasing the power of warlocks and pyromancers. It seems, however, that such consequences are inevitable.

Dany has a conscience. She feels remorse for some of the things she's done, sometimes where there's no reason to feel remorse (her behaviour towards Viserys for example).

I find it strange that she never questions whether performing a human sacrifice by live burning was the right thing to do.

BearQueen87 - Dany like you notice Hizzy lust for violence, even with how quickly events where unfolding she still noticed it.

Also, note that Dany names a lot of the same suspects for the poisoning that we do, however, no mention of the Shavepate.

"He wanted Drogon dead. I heard him. “Kill it,” he screamed, “kill the beast,” and the look upon his face was lustful. And Strong Belwas had been on his knees, heaving and shuddering. Poison. It had to be poison. The honeyed locusts. Hizdahr urged them on me, but Belwas ate them all. She had made Hizdahr her king, taken him into her bed, opened the fighting pits for him, he had no reason to want her dead. Yet who else could it have been? Reznak, her perfumed seneschal? The Yunkai’i? The Sons of the Harpy?

Off in the distance, a wolf howled. The sound made her feel sad and lonely, but no less hungry."

I didn't. Nice!! Hizzy gets off on violence. I wouldn't be surprised if he delights in watching slaves being whipped.

ETA: I made note of this when we talked about the chapter in question, but the one time we see Hizzy and Dany have sex, it's a bit rough and violent. He pulls the robe from her (though she just put it in) she tumbles her backwards. He likes the violent nature of it.

1. I didn't. Nice!! Hizzy gets off on violence. I wouldn't be surprised if he delights in watching slaves being whipped.

2. ETA: I made note of this when we talked about the chapter in question, but the one time we see Hizzy and Dany have sex, it's a bit rough and violent. He pulls the robe from her (though she just put it in) she tumbles her backwards. He likes the violent nature of it.

1. I meant that you had pointed his lustfulness for violence in the past.

2. It just goes to show that his whole act with Dany about moving the Ghis culture of Meereen might just have been a façade.

I meant to comment on this. I had forgotten that she put together everything that happened even with everything that was happening at the time. It's good to see that she still has her wits about her and that her (once) excellent observational skills are back.

In that long post of mine I lost I elaborated further on this [more the whole paragraph than the poisoning]. It went something like this, and please bear with me as it may take a while to get to my point: Dany was born on the real Dragonstone; this chapter starts with her on a version of Dragonstone. In a roundabout, metaphoric way, this chapter begins with her at her place of birth, back in Westeros. But she can't stay and she knows it so she starts walking. Along the way she encounters Viserys's mallice--something which happened in her real life. She struggles with the burden of having to live up to Rhaegar's noble name--another thing which also happened. She also receives counsel from Quaithe and Jorah. She becomes sick and has a possible miscarriage. If you equate the possible miscarriage to the loss of a child, we end up with major events that happened in her life repeating themselves on this walk.

Another thing to note is that she is walking towards a place she does not necessarily relish (much like her journey further East; her path should be in the direction of Westeros yet she walks away from it, and although willingly, she does it grudgingly). As she walks she constantly looks back to see her progress. It seems as though she hasn't moved much. It seems to me that the reflections on her progress, in terms of distance, are symbolic of the progress she has made since she was sold to Drogo. She thinks to herself that it seems as though her arm could touch Dragonstone, if only she stretched out far enough. At this point she realises that she has made a lot of progress, she's covered more distance than is apparent. It's because the road winds and dips and elevates that her progress seems negligible. These windings and dips and elevations, IMHO, seem symbolic of Eroeh, Hazzea, Stalwart Shield, the Masters of Essos, slavery, the Qartheen, the stagnant economy, the pending war and everything else that has been negative. Like I said, her walk and reflections seem too symbolic to simply be coincidence.

It was only when she stopped and looked back that she realised her arm could not touch the place at which she began, with nothing except fear and uncertainty. But her hardships have blinded her, and her own personal philosophy. She has made progress in her life, she has come far. And although she left him behind, her dragon found her in the end.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that as much as this is a walk of triumph, it also seems a walk of reflection, a walk of her life because in it she distinctly looks back. It is my opinion that the author is nudging the readers and saying, "wasn't this a burdensome journey? Wasn't this one for the singers and poets?"...or something like that.

I swear that it all sounded incredibly eloquent in my head.

In that long post of mine I lost I elaborated further on this [more the whole paragraph than the poisoning]. It went something like this, and please bear with me as it may take a while to get to my point: Dany was born on the real Dragonstone; this chapter starts with her on a version of Dragonstone. In a roundabout, metaphoric way, this chapter begins with her at her place of birth, back in Westeros. But she can't stay and she knows it so she starts walking. Along the way she encounters Viserys's mallice--something which happened in her real life. She struggles with the burden of having to live up to Rhaegar's noble name--another thing which also happened. She also receives counsel from Quaithe and Jorah. She becomes sick and has a possible miscarriage. If you equate the possible miscarriage to the loss of a child, we end up with major events that happened in her life repeating themselves on this walk.

Another thing to note is that she is walking towards a place she does not necessarily relish (much like her journey further East; her path should be in the direction of Westeros yet she walks away from it, and although willingly, she does it grudgingly). As she walks she constantly looks back to see her progress. It seems as though she hasn't moved much. It seems to me that the reflections on her progress, in terms of distance, are symbolic of the progress she has made since she was sold to Drogo. She thinks to herself that it seems as though her arm could touch Dragonstone, if only she stretched out far enough. At this point she realises that she has made a lot of progress, she's covered more distance than is apparent. It's because the road winds and dips and elevates that her progress seems negligible. These windings and dips and elevations, IMHO, seem symbolic of Eroeh, Hazzea, Stalwart Shield, the Masters of Essos, slavery, the Qartheen, the stagnant economy, the pending war and everything else that has been negative. Like I said, her walk and reflections seem too symbolic to simply be coincidence.

It was only when she stopped and looked back that she realised her arm could not touch the place at which she began, with nothing except fear and uncertainty. But her hardships have blinded her, and her own personal philosophy. She has made progress in her life, she has come far. And although she left him behind, he dragon found her in the end.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that as much as this is a walk of triumph, it also seems a walk of reflection, a walk of her life because in it she distinctly looks back. It is my opinion that the author is nudging the readers and saying, "wasn't this a burdensome journey? Wasn't this one for the singers and poets?"...or something like that.

Well it all sounded incredibly eloquent when I read it too. And I completely agree. Her walk isn't just "a walk;" it's incredibly metaphorical like you pointed out. GRRM didn't have her name this place "Dragonstone" for nothing, he wants us to read it as a symbolic walk.

I think Dany is accepting not only that she's made progress but that it's not quite the progress she imagined the first time she took a really long "walk"--from Pentos to Vaes Dothrak through the Red Waste to Qarth to Astapor to Yunkai to Meereen. It's like she forgot that though she isn't in Westeros, her overall endgame, she has made progress in her life. Like she once said to Jorah (paraphrase), "I'm not the young girl you met in Pentos. I am as old as the crones in Vaes Dothrak and as young as my dragons." At one point she had recognized that she was making progress and had changed and come a long way. But all that progress got lost when she decided to sit still for awhile. She has to keep walking. And that means being who she truly is: The Mother of Dragons.

That's interesting. I think Stannis needs to consider it more than Dany. As Sean mentioned above, Dany did sacrifice MMD to bring the dragons, yet MMD was not completely innocent, she had wronged Dnay and admitted to it, took out all her frustrations towards the Dothraki out on Dany who did not deserve to have her baby taken. But that was the only burning sacrifice Dany has made, and it was to a woman who had fucked with Dany. (not saying it was right or wrong, but it was not just a random person). Stannis OTOH has burned a lot of people in the name of R'hollor, people who didnt necessarily deserve it. I mean I have seen Alive, and when I watched it, I remember thinking "I would do that to, these people are already dead and those of us left alive will die if we don't eat.'

And there are other situations of Stannis burning people who were not really guilty of anything, certainly not a bodily harm to his person like MMD had done to Dany.

So, Parwan, I think that Stannis and Mel have a lot more to answer for in the 'burning people as a sacrifice' department than Dany does.

Although if R'hollor = the Sun. I doubt the Sun cares at all how many lives on Planetos are sacrificed for whatever reason. You know what I mean, just because we think of human life as a valuable thing does not mean any God does.

Please stop discussing Stannis because it is OT.

Not really? It's a comparative analysis of the two characters--both of whom have been declared to be AAR, both of whom have burned people for various reasons, both of whom are often labeled as those concerned with "justice," both of whom got wrapped up in magic, both of whom have/are going to have ties to the R'hllorists.

It's a perfectly sound topic of conversation, IMO, and one the re-read has had before.

It was only when she stopped and looked back that she realised her arm could not touch the place at which she began, with nothing except fear and uncertainty. But her hardships have blinded her, and her own personal philosophy. She has made progress in her life, she has come far. And although she left him behind, he dragon found her in the end.

What are you talking about? Your comments are not only eloquent they are quite insightful. I’ve actually never thought about Dany’s walk in this particular way and as you were explaining it, it made more and more sense to me. Not only is the walk about finding herself but also a reflection of her journey so far to the point she finds herself now.

I mentioned in my original comments to the chapter that for a long time Dany has used the motto “if I look back I am lost” she couldn’t afford to reflect because she felt that she just needed to go forward, she couldn’t stop, she couldn’t stall. But then, what happens, she stalls, she stalls and everything goes wrong, because although she stalled she never reflected on why she was stalling on why things were going wrong. She was still going, at least through the motions.

Then her time in Dragonstone and the Dothraki sea make her look back, make her reflect on what has happened so far. She does it without thinking, just looking back but then she realizes why she’s looking back, why she has to look back. In the end she tells herself “to go forward I must go back” she has reflected, perhaps realized what went wrong and now is headed on her way to fix it.

I have always said that her last words, were words of reflection and your beautiful insight have just cemented that for me.

Well it all sounded incredibly eloquent when I read it too. And I completely agree. Her walk isn't just "a walk;" it's incredibly metaphorical like you pointed out. GRRM didn't have her name this place "Dragonstone" for nothing, he wants us to read it as a symbolic walk.

I think Dany is accepting not only that she's made progress but that it's not quite the progress she imagined the first time she took a really long "walk"--from Pentos to Vaes Dothrak through the Red Waste to Qarth to Astapor to Yunkai to Meereen. It's like she forgot that though she isn't in Westeros, her overall endgame, she has made progress in her life. Like she once said to Jorah (paraphrase), "I'm not the young girl you met in Pentos. I am as old as the crones in Vaes Dothrak and as young as my dragons." At one point she had recognized that she was making progress and had changed and come a long way. But all that progress got lost when she decided to sit still for awhile. She has to keep walking. And that means being who she truly is: The Mother of Dragons.

I was just thinking that in a way it was good for her to stall (and get trapped in Dragonstone) because that forced her to reflect, which is what she needed to do.

Please stop discussing Stannis because it is OT.

Only a Moderator has the right to tell us to desist from a topic.

In any case, it's perfectly valid to compare Dany, Stannis, and Melisandre. All three have used what would be considered, in most literature, Black Magic, to attain their ends. In most stories, that would be sufficient to mark all three as evil. Yet, in this story, their aims can be considered noble, and their motives are complex.

Stannis and Melisandre have paid a clear price for what they've done. Stannis has had much of his life force drawn out of him; Melisandre has gradually lost her humanity. We don't know for sure what price Dany has paid, as we don't know what happened to her in the flames.

Only a Moderator has the right to tell us to desist from a topic.

In any case, it's perfectly valid to compare Dany, Stannis, and Melisandre. All three have used what would be considered, in most literature, Black Magic, to attain their ends. In most stories, that would be sufficient to mark all three as evil. Yet, in this story, their aims can be considered noble, and their motives are complex.

Stannis and Melisandre have paid a clear price for what they've done. Stannis has had much of his life force drawn out of him; Melisandre has gradually lost her humanity. We don't know for sure what price Dany has paid, as we don't know what happened to her in the flames.

Do you think their diminish-ment is due to burning people? I thought Stannis' problem was the shadow baby sucked out some of his life force?

And yeah Mel is losing her humanity, but I'm not sure if that is a punishment in her eyes. If anything it is making her more powerful, but I guess she is becoming more of an antagonist as she loses herself. Of course what if she saves Jon's life in the opening of WoW? That will certainly give her good points in my book.

I was internet-less for a couple of (terrible depressive) days... count me in for a Dany-Cersei reread if you're still on it (although I still was tempted on opening a thread about it as I said few posts before*. First, I need to get some undone work done!).

*and if people kill each other, I'll be too busy to care : D

Do you think their diminish-ment is due to burning people? I thought Stannis' problem was the shadow baby sucked out some of his life force?

And yeah Mel is losing her humanity, but I'm not sure if that is a punishment in her eyes. If anything it is making her more powerful, but I guess she is becoming more of an antagonist as she loses herself. Of course what if she saves Jon's life in the opening of WoW? That will certainly give her good points in my book.

Their diminishment is due to the use of harmful magic, in my view.

I'd say that for a human being, the ability to eat and drink, to sleep and dream, are good things. Mel has lost the first two, and has almost lost the last two. But, she's so disturbed by her dreams that she wants to lose the ability to sleep. I don't know if Mel has in fact died, or if like the Nazgul, she's entered some kind of undead state.

I'd like to know more about Mel's backstory. I suspect it was an absolute nightmare of sexual abuse.

I was internet-less for a couple of (terrible depressive) days... count me in for a Dany-Cersei reread if you're still on it (although I still was tempted on opening a thread about it as I said few posts before*. First, I need to get some undone work done!).

*and if people kill each other, I'll be too busy to care : D

I was wondering where you were....

If SeanF and Suzanna don't mind, you are welcome to join them in the Dany x Cersei analysis. You should all probably discussed which one will do which analysis.

I was thinking we could do about 3 essays per parallel so you can split the work evenly. :D

I would love you to open a thread about it in the GF just to see the mayhem that will ensue.

I was wondering where you were....

If SeanF and Suzanna don't mind, you are welcome to join them in the Dany x Cersei analysis. You should all probably discussed which one will do which analysis.

I was thinking we could do about 3 essays per parallel so you can split the work evenly. :D

I would love you to open a thread about it in the GF just to see the mayhem that will ensue.

Fine with me of course ! :)

Archived